Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trik L Start

Purchased the Trik L Start to fix the problem Winnebago said I never had and am only several hours in to the 45 minute install. First the front body access panel fell off (again) and then found stud on solonoid had been cross threaded way back when, maybe manufacturuing. Am original owner this unit, salesman convinced us we would not be inheriting someone else's problems by buying new, and it has been nothing but problems. Someday we hope to buy a quality used motorhome, one we can enjoy rather than repair. After 6 years with this one we are still looking forward to our first trouble free trip.
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Stuart42, Sorry for your trouble. Our Winnebago has proven to be quite reliable for us since 2003 however after 85,000 miles some little things happen but nothing serious. I'm pretty handy with the tool box.

Come on over to the Winnebago Owner's Forum and feel free to post any questions that you might have in there. You'll find that there will always be some one in there that has at least experienced the same things you have and they may have some insight to share with you.

Again welcome to our community!

Please come back and visit often!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Stuart, enjoy the motorhome. We are on our 3rd motorhome and enjoy the challenges of repair, and the adventures where we go.

I also installed a Trik-L-Start, worth the work. While you have the solonoid in your hand get the model number and order an extra, always good to have a spare.

Enjoy this forum, lots of good people around here that are willing to help you. This forum has made my many do-it-yourself projects easy.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

'Sturart42', welcome to the Winnebago Forum -- problems are synonymous with RVs and we all have to become a 'jack of all trades' when maintaining our rolling homes. Our Vectra is our third RV, second MH, and the previous two units had more than enough problems. We're keeping our fingers crossed and yes, I carry a large assortment of tools and 'extra' goodies just in case something needs some TLC .
Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

'Stuart42' welcome to the world of rv ing or as it is sometimes know "it's always something". Get used to it and you will start to enjoy it. I got my Tric L Start when I went to return to the dealer to have a cracked windshield replaced. I was sold with the crack and they said they would order a new one and call me when it came in. They called and we set an appointment. Went to start it and it was DRT (dead right there). Got it started and got it to dealer. Got the windshield replaced free and then they sold me a Tric L Start. So I guess it was a break even day and sometimes that is the best you can do in the world of rv ing.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

In our case the "little problems" with our 2004 Journey began when we tried to drive it off the lot after purchase - the entry steps quit functioning. Dealer then did a thorough check out of unit, knowing we intended to drive it cross country, and when told was ready and arrived to pick up were informed invertor down and awaiting a parts. Was no problem with invertor, only a failure to have re-connected house batteries.

First trip, rear mudflap fell off, cockpit TV almost fell out of its cabinet, and 1 underneath storage compartment flooded from rain. This was followed by a myriad of things big and small, some covered by warranty, most not. Pump for levelling jacks failed just out of warranty, then 3 years later 3 of the 4 jacks failed, only retracting until weight off them. The refrigerator door bottom hinge failed, apparently a common occurrence, definate design flaw. Propane tank cracked where mounts are welded to it, resulting in propane leak, uncovered by warranty. The turbo failed when we stopped for fuel one time and had to be replaced, and both fuel pumps, supply and injector, have failed while unit was high idling building up the air pressure. Furnace has failed twice, and a hot water heater coupling, the most difficult to get to, failed because was improperly threaded during assembly. Backup camera failed after 3 years, told common with that model Sony. And both Fantastic Fans have failed in 1 way or another. 6 years and we are on 4th set of chassis batteries, 3rd set of house batteries, but we don't have electrical problems. And can not remember how many of the fiberglass body panels that have had to re-epoxy brackets too.

Winnebago and the Winnebago dealer we bought from seem to have gone out of their way to be less than helpful and have experienced a lot of fingerpointing when it comes to suppliers versus Winnebago, leaving us out in the cold. A few who have been very helpful, HWH and Cummins.

Unit is running us well over a dollar per mile to operate over the 48K miles, and that is with me doing as much of the labor as possible to keep costs down. Not what we expected, and not what we must settle for - quality units do exist, even with Winnebago, which will never buy again.
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Stuart42:

We have a 2004 Journey 39W with 53,000 miles on the odo. We have only had one of the problems you described having with your 2004 Journey. Our Sony rear camera also failed about two years ago and we replaced it with one from RVCameras.com guys in Louisiana.

We might have been just lucky, but have never experienced any of the failures you have had. Our coach was delivered in April of 2004. When was yours built? Our chassis build date was October 2003.

This is our third Winnebago and we would go Winnebago again. Hopefully your troubles are behind you. Happy RVing.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote