Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trik-L-Start

With the winter months approaching I was seriously thinking about installing the Trk-L-Start to my 2008 Itasca Navion to maintain my chassis battery. Does anyone have one of them on their Wiinie/Itasca's? If you do, are you satisfied? Was it a hassle to install? Last, but not least, how did you run your wires?
Thanks a lot!
JIm
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Very happy with mine on our '05 Journey. Low cost, big benefit.

Wired per instructions to the solenoids at firewall. Others have installed in battery compartment to good affect.

Due to a lack of confidence in my electrical skills, I had it installed by a tech. It is not a difficult install if you know what you are doing.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sir,
Not knowing what you've learned about your coach, I'm wondering. I was under the assumption that Winne had realized the "dead" chassis battery problem of the earlier years and had started installing the "Trik-L-Start" in the '05s or '06s. Now, maybe that is just the pushers or, just a few models and or years and they quit after a while, I don't know. Can I also assume you're going to install one because (1), you've experienced a dead "set" or single chassis battery(s)? or (2), you just want to keep from having a dead battery situation. Just asking here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I installed mine as to not have the dead battery problem, and not having to hook up a battery mender to keep the batteries charged. I use the battery mender in the winter time as to not keep the MH plugged in all the time. This way all the batteries stay charged. 4 - 6 volts and 1 - 12 volt batteries.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I use a small solar panel on my 95 Bounder hooked to the chassis battery,there is another panel on the roof. It's parked outside from late October to mid May.
No problem.
This is Newfoundland,summers are short!
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

JIm, you might want to take a look at this short video of a guy installing one in a 2008 Navion:

amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
I use a small solar panel on my 95 Bounder hooked to the chassis battery,there is another panel on the roof. It's parked outside from late October to mid May.
No problem.
This is Newfoundland,summers are short!

That is the best way to go..you don't have to run power to it and it does a nice job of maintaining the batteries. All you would need is a 10 watt panel on the roof, run the wires down directly to the batteries.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The YouTube video was great. Thanks for that. I am going to go ahead and order one. I do want to protect the chassis battery from going dead so it is more of a preventive measure.
Solar panels seem like a good idea but are impractical in my situation because the MH will be parked under my pole barn with insufficient sunlight to charge the batteries.
Thanks all!R
Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After looking at that excellent video several times I was just wondering what area exactly was the solenoid and all those wires located?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
With the winter months approaching I was seriously thinking about installing the Trk-L-Start to my 2008 Itasca Navion to maintain my chassis battery. Does anyone have one of them on their Wiinie/Itasca's? If you do, are you satisfied? Was it a hassle to install? Last, but not least, how did you run your wires?
Thanks a lot!
JIm
Before you run out and buy one be sure you read the instructions carefully. This system only works if you have the motorhome plugged into shore power or have an alternative source (battery charger) of DC current charging the house batteries. If you store your motorhome without a way to keep the house batteries charged it doesn't work.

While it steals a bit of current from the house batteries to keep the chassis battery charged it also has a sensor that determines whether the house batteries are being charged. If it doesn't detect the house batteries being charged it will shut itself off.

Here's a quote from the FAQ section of a Trik-l-Start add.

I STORE MY MOTOR HOME WITHOUT ANY AC HOOKUPS. CAN TRIK-L-START BE USED TO DRAW POWER FROM MY HOUSE BATTERIES TO KEEP MY STARTING BATTERIES CHARGED? No, TRIK-L-START™ only works when there is a house battery charging source (i.e., DC power converter, inverter/charger or solar panels) present. In the absence of this charging source, TRIK-L-START is effectively disconnected, and doesn't supply any charge to your starting battery(s).
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I have mine wired per instructions. Easy to install and mine is in the battery compartment.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
After looking at that excellent video several times I was just wondering what area exactly was the solenoid and all those wires located?
In the 2008 Navion, under the passenger seat?

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_161792.pdf
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'd like to suggest that you call Winnebago and get the information from then on your system. As previously stated, you may already have a Trik-l-start. I have a 2008 Winnebago product and though it is a different model then you system there were certain things that "had" to be done for the charging system and Trik-l-start to work.

In both cases the battery disconnect for the service battery and house battery needed to be left in the "on" position for my system to work properly, and the step switch needed to be turned off.

Before you spend the money, make the call. The worse you can get for calling is a "no."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #14

The reason I responded to your inquiry, JIm, is that we have friends who have a 2009 Navion and they didn't have a factory installed Trik-L-Start so I just assumed that you also would not have one in your 2008. However, I guess it's always a good idea to call the factory just to make sure.

I'm not sure if all Winnebago products are now equipped with a Trik-L-Start or not but I do remember that in 2006, they started to factory install them on all their diesel pushers.

And DH just informed me that he remembered our friends having to remove the passenger seat in order to access the seat pedestal where the solenoid is located. When I posted my previous post, I personally couldn't remember for sure what seat they removed so I inserted the question mark. DH confirms it definitely will be under the passenger seat.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Lots of good advice. I installed mine, it's really easy, works great. I highly recommend one, if you don't have one already. My '07 Itasca did not have one from the factory.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I installed one in my 2005 Vectra and am extremely happy with it. Easy install and it does the job.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
The reason I responded to your inquiry, JIm, is that we have friends who have a 2009 Navion and they didn't have a factory installed Trik-L-Start so I just assumed that you also would not have one in your 2008. However, I guess it's always a good idea to call the factory just to make sure.

I'm not sure if all Winnebago products are now equipped with a Trik-L-Start or not but I do remember that in 2006, they started to factory install them on all their diesel pushers.

And DH just informed me that he remembered our friends having to remove the passenger seat in order to access the seat pedestal where the solenoid is located. When I posted my previous post, I personally couldn't remember for sure what seat they removed so I inserted the question mark. DH confirms it definitely will be under the passenger seat.
It seems like this simple inquiry wasn't as simple as I thought. So, if I got this right, some itasca's just might have a TC already installed? But we can't be sure which ones do? And I may have to have the battery disconnects non but leave the stairs disabled even though the video never mentioned that?
I did make an attempt to call Winnebago this morning andask them myself but the Google search took me to an RV dealership :-(
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Winnebago: 800-537-1885

And my 2008 Destination never mentioned a thing in any documentation that the disconnects had to be on and the stairs disabled. I am fortunate that my stair switch is near the door and I can reach in and turn it off through the screen sliding opening.
I found this out only by calling them.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

NONE of the View/Navion's have a TLS installed from the factory. You access the wiring under the passenger seat. Should not take more than 1 hr from start to finish. Make sure you DISCONNECT the chassis and coach batteries before you do the install otherwise you are at risk of some early or late 4th of July fireworks!
I suggest you join this group for more specific information on your MH:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion/
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Winnebago: 800-537-1885

And my 2008 Destination never mentioned a thing in any documentation that the disconnects had to be on and the stairs disabled. I am fortunate that my stair switch is near the door and I can reach in and turn it off through the screen sliding opening.
I found this out only by calling them.
Thanks Wayne. I wish I would have noticed the first time when I read your post that you included their phone number. Thank you for that! I made an attempt this morning to get in touch with them through a Google search and it brought me to an RV dealership that SELLS Winnebago's.
L cl them tomorrow.
Jim