Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trick-L-Start Installation

I want to install the Trick-L-Start Battery Maintainer in the permanent configuration. Does anyone know where the battery relay/isolator is located on the 2004 Adventurer 31Y chassis? The house batteries and the chassis battery are all located under the steps. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find it. I can't see all of the wire routing otherwise I would just chase out the wiring. I'll appreciate any help.
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

They are also under the steps, just pull out the vertical panel above the batteries that makes up the back of the step. Take the battery cover off first.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Number one I didn't know that made an Adventureer 31' in 2004 as I own a 33' Adventurer. That said I would connect the trickle charger to the engine battery terminals and run wire out of battery compartment and plug trickle charger into cabinet where dust buster and flashlight is. I would not leave trickle charger in battery compartment.

THe House batteries are charged by the converter so that won't be a problem when you are plugged into AC. We leave our coach plugged in 24/7 and check the house batteries once a month. The trickle charger works great and keeps the engine battery fully charged so I can operate the slides and electric step.

To answer your other questuion, behind the carpet that is mounted vertically on the top step is another metal panel and if you loosen the screws you will find all the solenoids there.

If you have any other further questions please email me and I will try to help you out.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all who replied. I found it. And, yes, ours is a 2004 31Y with the 8.1 Workhorse and Allison trans. I really appreciate all the help.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: The changeover solenoid is the place to connect. The TrikleStart comes with ring tongue connectors that should fit the solenoid terminals. Just find a place to mount it, connect 3 wires and you're done. If you're kind of klutzy and think you might short the battery terminals to ground, disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. It isn't good to short the battery to ground. However, if you're careful you can avoid trying to do arc welding.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Just so you know.. You do not need to install it AT THE ISOLATOR.

The unit has 3 wires

one is Chassis ground

ONe is Engine positive
One is House POsitive

So anywhere where you can find those 3 connections close together is good enough.

That said. The isolator is usually the easiest place to hook it up.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I found the isolator behind the panel and behind the breaker panel, however space was limited. So I decided to mount the Tric-L-Start on the wall of the battery compartment, in an area out of the way and fairly protected. I hooked it up to the positive and negative battery posts of the house batteries and the positive tie post for the chassis battery. No lights came on at all. I spoke with a representative from Trick-L-Start and he determined that I had it hooked up correctly and that it must be a bad unit. He is shipping me another unit. In the meantime I have placed a Battery Plus trickle charger on the chassis battery. The house batteries are keeping charged by the solar panel. My question is, does the solar panel charge the house batteries whether the battery cut-off switch (located near the door) is on or off? And, when I have shore power, to charge the house batteries, should I have this switch on or off?

And, another question regarding the exterior, does anyone know which patterns are painted on and which are decals?

Thanks,