Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Travel Bars for Schwintek Slide Out

I have slide out creep in my 2015 Adventurer 32H (full wall slide)...not much but it does move out 1/2-3/4" after driving for several hrs...seems worse on rough roads. I spoke to the dealer about this and he received an answer from the WGO/Lippert in-house representative stating that if the slide is installed correctly...meaning it extends and retracts smoothly and does not bind anywhere...you will get slide creep on these big slides that have a lot of weight on them!
I called WGO this AM and asked the Customer Advisor the same question...same answer...that installed correctly...result...slide creep and they will send you travel bars!
The dealership ordered me travel bars a week ago and when I returned home yesterday they were sitting on my door step...so if you have a large Schwintek slide and it does NOT creep it is NOT installed correctly...at least that is what Lippert and WGO says!! So with that in mind...all new WGO with big slides should be coming equipped with travel bars??
Unbelievable!!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Somebody is giving you a huge line of BS. We have never had a problem with the full wall slide creeping on our 2013 Winnebago Adventurer. The slide is over 26' long and has stayed in place for nearly 16,000 miles over every kind of roads imaginable. We've taken the coach to Alaska and then to Florida without ever having the slide creep.

We did have to have our slide adjusted at the factory because the top was coming in farther than the bottom on the front. That was over 12,000 miles ago and we haven't had any reoccurrence of the problem since then. Each of the motors is supposed to have a brake mechanism built in to firmly hold the slide in place while traveling.

I suggest you call the factory customer service line again and ask to speak to Mike Hamson. He's a supervisor in the service department and well versed on how the slides should work. We've spoken with him many times over the years (we had a 2001 Adventurer before our current 2013) and have been very happy with the service he's provided. He won't give you any BS, and will make sure the slide works properly if you take it to the factory service department to have it repaired.

As a side note I can't in my wildest dreams believe a design engineer would create a slide mechanism that would intentionally creep after a few hours of driving. Secondly I can't believe Winnebago would install a system knowing it wouldn't function properly. I know mistakes are made along the line, but this situation is not a design mistake it's lack of knowledge on the part of those charged with the repair. Someone's making excuses for their lack of knowledge on how to properly diagnose and repair the system
Old 10-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I suggest you call the factory customer service line again and ask to speak to Mike Hamson. He's a supervisor in the service department and well versed on how the slides should work. We've spoken with him many times over the years (we had a 2001 Adventurer before our current 2013) and have been very happy with the service he's provided.
Left a VM for Mike...will let you know what he has to say.
Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
Left a VM for Mike...will let you know what he has to say.
Thanks!

Mr. Barrett,

I have forwarded your voicemails & email on to our Owner Relations department for review & response.

If you need a service appointment here at the Winnebago Customer Service, that I can help you with. Just an FYI – usually around GNR there are no appts available the week before, week of & week after GNR. During these three weeks it is first come, first serve & limited to 7 items. Also there will be several vendors at the GNR providing some service.

Thanks,

Mike Hamson
Old 10-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Troy from Winnebago Forest City called me today to discuss the creeping out of my slide. He pretty much stated what I have heard from everyone else at WGO...these big wall slides may creep out and if they do then WGO will provide travel bars...so there you have it. When I go to GNR this summer I will make an appointment a few weeks before the rally and have the factory check the slide out.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What are travel bars?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

One end may creep out usually the rear of the slide if it was installed correctly. However usually what I find is they are not adjusted correctly. When correctly adjusted they will come in and stop then slip back slightly which is normal but still should have a solid seal and stay there. You need to have the thing reprogrammed which is simple to do.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What are travel bars?
Similar to these:

Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

Tags
slide, slide out, travel