Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Want to change my tranny fluid (13,000 miles, two years). After draining, do I fill thru the tube that holds the tranny dip stick? Will it take the full 19 quarts?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Want to change my tranny fluid (13,000 miles, two years). After draining, do I fill thru the tube that holds the tranny dip stick? Will it take the full 19 quarts?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 03-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thudman Yes fill thru the dipstick tube. As for how much, you will only replace what you took out, when you drain into a drainpan your first time guestimate how much you removed(if you are really not sure pour it into some old containers of known size) Install what you measured(or guessed) leaving out one quart. Start engine with foot on the brake shift thru each gear,place back in park and on level ground check dipstick reading, it should be somewhere between add and full, add whatever it takes to get to that point. It should be at the full mark only after the transmission is completely warm (10-15 miles) you can recheck then. Do Not Overfill, that is why I suggested leaving out 1 quart when refilling.
Good Luck
Eddie

2003 Harley Davidson Road Glide
ESTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thudman, the only way to get all of the tranny oil out is to drain the torque convertor. Draining only the pan will remove some 5 to 7 quarts of oil. I generally drop the tranny pan when it is empty and change the filer on my Ford. I believe you have an Allison which has an external tranny oil filter.

As said above, you will have to operate the engine and run the tranny through all of the gears before you check the warm fluid level. Probably be 15 minutes or so.

Ken
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Why are you draining in only 13000 miles? Sounds like a waste.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Will it take the full 19 quarts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thudman, Well partner it certainly will not take 19 quarts of oil. You will be very lucky if you can drain and add 10.5 quarts of oil including changing your spin on filter.

If you're going to bother changing your fluid, bite the bullet, and go synthetic. Buy at least 5 gallons on oil and possibly 1 extra quart and 2 filters. If you drop the pan you will get the best possible concentration of syn in the tranny.

You won't be able to drain the converter so changing the oil twice is the only way to do it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Allison says every 2 years if you don't get to the mileage interval (which is my case).

Think I'll stick w/dino, as the warranty remains the same (in my case, 5 years), and the change intervals are indentical to syn (so says Allison).

Thudman

Old 04-13-2005, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

FWIW, I could never understand why some change their trans oil by just draining the pan, changing the filters and refilling with new oil. My 6 speed Allison takes about 28 qts.(I don't have my book in here, so 28 may not be exact) If I remove the pan and replace the filters and amount drained, it will take about16 or 17 qts. As pointed out above, the rest is in the converter. We wouldn't think of changing 60% of our engine oil and pouring 40% of the old oil back in, but that is what happens when you just change the "Pan" oil. I purchased a power changer that I fill with oil, hook it up to the proper tranny lines and start the engine. It pulls the new oil in as it is pushing the old oil out into the changer. I change the filters first. It is real easy to tell the change is complete when the new oil starts coming out. If done this way, you will use the amount of fluid stated in the owners manual. I change all of our service vehicles this way. If you ask around, you can find service centers that will flush your system this way and you will have a complete change instead of a part change. I changed it @ 5000 miles as recommended by Allison and went to synthetic. If nothing else, I sleep better now.

Doug
Doug Polzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Doug, welcome to the forum.com and thank you for your contribution on this subject. We are a group of fun loving rvers that like to help each other where we can. We hope that you will join us here often and look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Doug, thanks. I think you're right on the mark. Next time I'll have it all done (incl converter) at a qualified shop. Yesterday it was messy. I bought two 5 qt containers of Dexron III. Well, of course the container was too big to pour into the new funnel I had to buy. So I had to pour from the 5 qt container to a 1 qt container. Drips every where. And I only got 60% of it done! Oh well.

Thudman

Old 04-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Doug
Where did you get the pump and about how much did it cost? I have an Allison xmission and just changed the filter, but did not change the fluid. Need to get some Transynd, but they do not sell in Tallahassee. Have to get some in Jax next time I go. s/Toby
Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby:
Need to get some Transynd, but they do not sell in Tallahassee. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Toby there are many resources for obtaining TES 295 compliant or authorized synthetic fluid on the Internet and have it shipped to your home.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

TOBY : There are Allison approved alternatives to TranSynd. Hopefully, you can find one of these locally- Good luck, Ed

In addition to TranSynd, Allison has now approved the following alternative brands
of 100% synthetic tranny fluid:

BP product name = Autran Syn 295
Cognis Corp. product name = Emgard 2805
Int'l Truck product name = Fleetrite Syn. ATF
ExxonMobil product name = Mobil Delvac Syn.ATF

each of these has now been TES 295 approved and should carry a label stating so. Now we have a less excuse for not making the switch!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a repossessed 2 year old unit with a 27 qt. capacity. It cost about $3100. I along with 2 customers own it. Between all of us, we change about 30 units every 2 years. With the price of the flushing unit, it isn't practical unless you have a situation similar to mine.

Doug
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Allison does not recommend power flushing the transmission. I would go with their recommendation, they designed it and have to stand behind the product, they certainly don't want it to fail prematurely and have warranty claims. As for amount, on the 1000 series, you will only take 10.5 qts. with the filter, on a pan drain, which is supposed to be done at 25K miles or every two years. The whole system takes only 19 qts, including the torque converter and all lines and cooler. Everything is listed in the Workhorse Owner's manual and the Allsion Owner's guide. I just went round on this with an Allison service center who tried to charge me for 5 gallons (20 qts) of Transynd synthetic ATF @ $30 a gallon. I posted about it in the Workhorse section of this forum. They admitted the mistake and refunded me the money.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Maybe power flushing is not the correct term for doing a "complete" change. When I asked an Allison service center why Allison wouldn't want "all" of the fluid changed, he just looked at me and couldn't answer. Maybe it's ok to change the filters and only 60% of the fluid. I'll keep changing all of it.

Doug