Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I got all the fluid and filter and gasket from Ford. Got out the repair manual and proceeded to change the fluid at the recommended 30,000 mile mark. I pulled the drain plug out and measured. After only getting 2.5 gallons out of the 17.7 Qts. that are in the unit, and not finding the plug in the torque converter, I installed the filter and then the pan, put the jack support brace back and slowly pumped, poured the fluid back in. It seems really thick. Started and ran through the gears. All seems well. I'll take her for a drive and recheck the level. I'm a little concerned about the Mercon V that the ford dealer gave me as my 2000 chassis book says not to mix Mercon with Mercon V. But the Mercon is not avalible any more. Although the bottle of fluid says you can use for both. I hope that I didn't screw up. Any 1 else change the tranny fluid them selves? How did it go?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I got all the fluid and filter and gasket from Ford. Got out the repair manual and proceeded to change the fluid at the recommended 30,000 mile mark. I pulled the drain plug out and measured. After only getting 2.5 gallons out of the 17.7 Qts. that are in the unit, and not finding the plug in the torque converter, I installed the filter and then the pan, put the jack support brace back and slowly pumped, poured the fluid back in. It seems really thick. Started and ran through the gears. All seems well. I'll take her for a drive and recheck the level. I'm a little concerned about the Mercon V that the ford dealer gave me as my 2000 chassis book says not to mix Mercon with Mercon V. But the Mercon is not avalible any more. Although the bottle of fluid says you can use for both. I hope that I didn't screw up. Any 1 else change the tranny fluid them selves? How did it go?
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Jim
Winnebago Owner

when i did mine this summer i got 9 quarts fron the pan..the only way to do the complete change is to remove the fluid line back to the pan and run 18-20 qts of fluid thru..there is a post on the ford forum on this..i called ford and was told that i could use mercon v but if i did it would be best to do a complete change..i ended up with a pennzoil product which states on the label it replaces both dexron and mercon..since the drained fluid wasn't burned or heavily soiled i followed the advice to replace the 9 qts now and to do the same thing next year..i have put 1200 miles over a 1 month period now and everything seems ok..jim
Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

That would be some trick, It took me about an hour to hand pump-pour in the 10 qts that I put in. Thanks for your reply Jim. I bought the 18 qts. so I was thinking to drive the coach for a bit and then drain 8 qts and replace it.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

hey jim, i can't seem to find the ford fourm, got a link or something? i'v been to their website but no fourms.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Jim
Winnebago Owner

bobpie..i am referring to the one here just below the winnebago forum..search on atf or similar..jim
Old 09-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just did mine, and had a similar experience, although I don't recall what exactly came out of the pan. I did'nt fool with the torque convertor plug, although my 2001 Chasiss is supposed to have one. I removed the return line and it pumped out better than I expected. I did mine at 26k, and both the fluid and filter still looked good. Easy job.

I was able to buy 19 quarts of Mercon from my local Ford dealer. I was prepared for Mercon V, but was pleasantly surprised when the parts guy laid Mercon on the counter.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The only way to really change it is to use a fluid exchanger. That method replaces the fluid as the old is removed. Only problem is, that's a shop tool.
I once read (in the F150 forum) that on your year vehicle you should be able to turn the converter to get the plug facing down. An 01 will very likely have a drainable converter.
To turn the converter you 1st remove the spark plugs (eliminates compression)and then put a socket on the front of the crankshaft nut, you will need someone to watch the converter to see the plug coming around to bottom dead center.
It requires a filter, 18 quarts of Mercon V and a gasket.
I'd recommend getting a trans flush for 179.99. Just make sure they really use Mercon V, not the regular ATF with additives to "create" Mercon V. The additive is a friction modifier to make the fluid act like Mercon but regular ATF has around half or less the life expectancey of Mercon V.
NHGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hey Jim, thanks, I never expanded the window because I didn't know it expanded. I have found it just like you said. What help, just a day late and a dollar short ( thats my luck) I did have that line disconnected but I failed to start the engine and pump out the converter, bummer. Mike in fla. I checked out my converter for a plug but didn't see it so it doesn't have one. I used the starter button that I connected to the hot wire comming from the battery and the smaller red wire on the starter and pushed the button, the engine cranked and the torque converter spun around as I observed it after removing the rubber grommet on the housing and didn't see any plug. I sure wish I had. But any way I will make an appointment to get my cruise control recall checked out and road test her then. Now back to the ford fourm. (now that I know where it is) Thanks all. Later!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't be concerned with draining the tourque converter. Just drive it another 6 months and dump the fluid from the drain plug again and refill and you should be fine.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Don G. That's just what I'll do.