Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

On the very first trip a small rock hit the top driver side near the top where the shaded area is. Right where the top foot of glass lets in all the sun that even the sun visor can't stop. It seems to me that going down the road with this great big piece of glass leading the way is a bit of overkill. I do have a pilots license but feel that looking up that high is not really important when I drive down the highway. With the new one piece windshields its hard not to get chips. Mine is 2 piece. Now to replace the glass because it was chipped in a place where it seems to me there shouldn't be glass. The front end cap made of fiberglass down about a foot lower would seem better. I am sure some folks like the wide open look. I am not suggesting a small porthole like on a tank, just less to let the hot sun in and less area for rocks to hit. How many of you are for less glass and how many for more or leaving things the way they are? Thanks Art in Mobile
Art in Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On the very first trip a small rock hit the top driver side near the top where the shaded area is. Right where the top foot of glass lets in all the sun that even the sun visor can't stop. It seems to me that going down the road with this great big piece of glass leading the way is a bit of overkill. I do have a pilots license but feel that looking up that high is not really important when I drive down the highway. With the new one piece windshields its hard not to get chips. Mine is 2 piece. Now to replace the glass because it was chipped in a place where it seems to me there shouldn't be glass. The front end cap made of fiberglass down about a foot lower would seem better. I am sure some folks like the wide open look. I am not suggesting a small porthole like on a tank, just less to let the hot sun in and less area for rocks to hit. How many of you are for less glass and how many for more or leaving things the way they are? Thanks Art in Mobile
Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I agree that large windshields let in a lot of heat or cold but I really like the big view - especially in the mountainous West.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I agree...less glass would help in many ways. Wonder if any exterior adjustable visors as on tractors are available.
Bill & Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine could certainly have less glass and no one would miss it!! (except the mfg of the glass ...each piece was $750 each a year ago).

About the top 40% of my two-piece windshield is tinted, but I can see less than a foot of that glass below the cabinets. I see that top two+ feet as something that gathers additional heat into the electronic cabinets in sunny weather, and something that lets heat escape on cold days.

A few months ago, we put in MCD shade across the windshield and I set the upper stop just above the lower edge of the cabinets so they block the sun from entering/hitting the back side of the cabinets. I now have two power buttons to give me full width sun visors if necessary! ...sure works better than the tiny OEM electric visors I replaced.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The post in ours never really bothered me, our new one has the big one piece.

I had both sides replaced last week from cracks. The guy said rust is what caused them to crack. He said $1200 each side he thought. Insurance determined the price. I don't know what a one piece would cost.

I agree on the heat and cold from the large piece of glass.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The large windshield is both a blessing and a curse. We loved it in the mountains, hated it in Gila Bend, AZ when it was 110 degrees

Properly engineering the cab for a one-piece windshield was not successfully accomplished by all manufacturers early on in the one-piece windshield craze. One of the major builders (forgot who) had/has recurring problems with the glass breaking due to stresses and twisting in the front frame.

As far as I know, Winnie engineers did their homework well and their units have not had these kinds of problems when they went to one-piece.

I was actually considering having the factory convert our coach to one-piece from our two-piece, but in chatting with them decided it would be somewhat difficult (read expensive) since the front cab frame would need to be modified.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

This is one of those topics where you're darned if you do and darned if you don't. There are definetly times where the window could be half the size and do the job much more efficiently and comfortably. On the other hand the scenery at times is priceless.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I must be in the minority on this one. I love the big windshield and would be very unhappy with a smaller one like the Tiffin Zepyher that parks near us in the winter. The Tiffin winshield does not come down nearly the distance as does ours in our Meridian. It limits the view and the view is what I prefer....ours is like a big picture window in the house plus the fur kids love it as well. Unlike some owners, I have been very fortunate in 6 years never to have a stone chip or replaced a windshield in either Winny products that we have owned. I'll count my blessings now.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

One of the things that irks me in a motor home is the useless side window glass that serves no real purpose except for sun intrusion or heat escapement. I am not talking about the normal side windows but rather those pieces of glass up high and serve no real purpose on both sides of the cabin area.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes those side top windows do seem to let a lot of sun and heat hit me when driving. I understand the want to see the surroundings but the A/C can't seem to keep up.