Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Tired of holding it up!!

We have a 1999 Winny Adventurer. Several years ago, all of the support arms for our basement doors seemed to "krook" at the same time. So now every time I lift one of our many basement doors, I'm stuck holding it up with my hand or head.

To replace these would cost a bunch. Anyone have any good options/suggestions (other than keep holding them up)?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I go to the local auto parts store. Just take a measurement good chance they have what u need at a fraction of want u would pay from a rv dealer.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

this thread will give you some ideas

==> http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/bay-door-gas-struts-64115.html
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

This company actually had an add up on iRV2.
HatchLift | Hatch Hinges | RV Hatch Lifts | Lift Hatch | Hatch Lift Supports
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have 3 compartments that do not have gas struts (Support arms) two of them have manual metal struts (Propane and Fresh Water) but the 3rd (Generator) not even that.

With the Generator compartment I usually use my hat/head, or the generator cover (The inner cover)

With the two on the other side though I have a walking stick. This is a natural Lilac stick which in truth is about six to 8 inches shorter than I like for walking but.. Still it's the best walking stick I have.

It's also the exact length to hold the doors up when I'm in the compartments.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for your suggestions and referrals.

Looks like I'm running out of excuses.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Google SPD-Barnes. YOu can find your gas shock on that site ten call to order. Mine are about $15 ea.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Try here for SPD

If you get the ones from the local auto parts store, be sure you get the same weight rating as you can break a door with one that is too strong. Believe me, I know from Experience.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I purchased 80lb lifts from a seller on ebay. I know the old lifts were 60lb, but decided after reading on several forums to move up to the 80lb lifts. The lifts were listed at 2 lifts for $17.49 plus $6.50 shipping. We made a deal for 11 sets (should have been 12 sets) with combined shipping. I am very happy with my purchase. I had been using small vice grip pliers tohold my compartment doors open for several years.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Get a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe. Open the strut all the way and measure the rod length. cut the pipe to that length and then cut a slit all the way down it and install on the rod. When you lift up on the strut pull the pipe down and it will hold the strut open. To close it just move the pipe so it covers the strut and closes. Fast simple fix. did it to my MH years ago.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered a pair off e-bay. Mine were 15"x9"x90 lb. I couldnt find 90lb so ordered 80lb. They are working fine.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

For a really cheap solution

HEAVY DUTY DOOR RETAINER-

They sell black and white.

My moho has a small plastic clip that holds the door open. I'm still trying to find them.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

$3.15/ door

http://www.pellandent.com/Motorhome_...788&Return=165
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

there seem to be 3 basic methods: gas shock, spring, and side clip. mine has all side clips, and until i decide to ditch all of them for springs, i will keep them. nice and simple.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

To get by until you find the right ones. I always told my customers to buy a small pair of locking pliers. Open the door all the way and clamp the pliers on the shaft.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Get a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe. Open the strut all the way and measure the rod length. cut the pipe to that length and then cut a slit all the way down it and install on the rod. When you lift up on the strut pull the pipe down and it will hold the strut open. To close it just move the pipe so it covers the strut and closes. Fast simple fix. did it to my MH years ago.
Can you post a picture of this? I think I know what you're describing. But... Pictures speak volumes.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
I really like this idea. Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I went to several auto parts stores and couldn't find anything in the part number that indicated what the pressure rating was. I asked at the counter couldn't tell me either and didn't have a cross reference. All they did was list them by application. I.E. Yugo, or whatever, lift back or hatch back.

I'm going to take one with me and see if they can match it and also get the manufacturers name and number. They should know.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Can you post a picture of this? I think I know what you're describing. But... Pictures speak volumes.
I don't have a pic but the piece of PVC falls down on the skinny rod (to the bottom) and stops the big end from coming down. When you want to close it you just move the pipe to center and close the lid. It moves up on the fat part and out of the way. You can WD-40 them so they work smooth.

You cut a grove in the PVC to put it over the skinny rod and so it will expand over the fat part. I used a circular saw to cut the length and the grove. If you open the door all the way you can measure the distance of the skinny rod and make your cut from that length then just cut a groove into it so you can put it on.

I did this for my MH when I couldn't find replacement rods anywhere that would work. You may have to use 1 inch PVC if your upper rods are big but 3/4 worked fine for me.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

SPD can cross reference the numbers. I replaced mine, I just like to do it right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote