Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Autozone carries Mighty Lift. I found this on their web site. Whether or not AZ stocks them is another story.

http://www.avmind.com/universal.pdf

Edit: Checking AZ pricing, they are about the same as at an RV store, but about 20 mile RT closer to home. The one size I need that I could find listed at AZ had a Limited Lifetime warranty.

O'Reilly's has them even cheaper. Both are made by Sachs.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

If you can find the part number for the length and pressure you need on this chart, Amazon might have it. Also, if you can find the AZ or O'Reilly "SG" part number, Amazon might have it.

http://www.avmind.com/universal.pdf

I found this one and it is almost half of what AZ sells them for. Not sure if they are made by the same company or what the warranty is.

Amazon.com: StrongArm 4248 Universal 19.69" Ext. 65 Extended Length Lift Support - Pack of 1: Automotive
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Found this on the Mighty Lift web site:

"Lift supports generally wear-out in 5-7 years. Extremes in weather (extreme hot or cold) or abnormally excessive opening or closing will shorten the life of your lift support."

I'm thinking about removing mine for the 115° summer temps here in AZ. I had two or three go bad last summer.

Here's another way to keep your supports up. Just like a screen door closer that has the tab to keep it open. It works best if the edges of the hole are sharp.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

On the cheap...use a vise grip...add some tape..so not to scratch anything
works great...
JFGOBUCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Found this on the Mighty Lift web site:

"Lift supports generally wear-out in 5-7 years. Extremes in weather (extreme hot or cold) or abnormally excessive opening or closing will shorten the life of your lift support."

I'm thinking about removing mine for the 115° summer temps here in AZ. I had two or three go bad last summer.

Here's another way to keep your supports up. Just like a screen door closer that has the tab to keep it open. It works best if the edges of the hole are sharp.

Scren Door Tab!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!! That's the one me. Simple, inexpensive and easy to do.

One question, where do I find a screen for tab?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

How many screen doors do ya have in your house?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Scren Door Tab!!!!!!!!
YES!!!!!!!! That's the one me. Simple, inexpensive and easy to do.

One question, where do I find a screen for tab?
I made it. It worked great to hold up my entertainment cabinet door, till I went to close it and forgot about the tab. Ripped off the ball socket mount. I have since replaced them with the right ones.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

I guess I'm not sure of the issue here. You purchase a motor home, quite presumably for a fair amount of money, pay our high price for gas or diesel to get from point A to point B. And don't want to pay a few dollars for some gas struts to HELP YOU, hold up the doors while you get what you need or put back what you've used. You say it happened several years ago, why not buy a set (one door) a month until they've all been replaced?

I'm certainly not trying to be sarcastic here. I just wonder how any other method of securing those doors in the "up" position while tending to things in the compartment could be EASIER. I mean, lift the door, it STAYS UP ALL BY ITSELF, get what you need or put back what you used and close the door. Hmmmmm. Guess I'm not seeing the big picture here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

+/– $20 each adds up, but isn't it fun spending somebody else's money.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
+/– $20 each adds up, but isn't it fun spending somebody else's money.
Yes Sir Mr Dunner, I surely know that those $20 here and $20 there add up but, I'm in and out of my compartments quite a few times a day while camping and, quite often at home because I'm doing something in them or, need a part or tool or what ever and I can't imagine using a stick or a prop of any type each and every time I would have to.

Like stated I'd purchase a set once a month till I got them all replaced, especially if they "all went at one time". That's kind of hard to comprehend. Please don't take any of this wrong, I'm certainly not chastising the OP, I'm just not one for being inconvenienced if a remedy is available and, while a purchase of ALL of my gas struts at one time would be a pretty good hit, I'd search for the best deal, either locally or on line and then, if on line, I'd consider the shipping cost of each or combined and see what I could afford and get as many as possible for the combined shipping. But, that's just me.

Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I guess I'm not sure of the issue here. You purchase a motor home, quite presumably for a fair amount of money, pay our high price for gas or diesel to get from point A to point B. And don't want to pay a few dollars for some gas struts to HELP YOU, hold up the doors while you get what you need or put back what you've used. You say it happened several years ago, why not buy a set (one door) a month until they've all been replaced?

I'm certainly not trying to be sarcastic here. I just wonder how any other method of securing those doors in the "up" position while tending to things in the compartment could be EASIER. I mean, lift the door, it STAYS UP ALL BY ITSELF, get what you need or put back what you used and close the door. Hmmmmm. Guess I'm not seeing the big picture here.
Scott
Go ahead and try to find the right struts. GOOD LUCK! They come in different #'s and different lengths and different fittings. After weeks of searching I gave up and used the PVC fix which worked well and cost around $3.00. Each door has a different strut with different #'s and different lengths so maybe now you can see the big picture. It's not as easy as calling CW and getting them....
Old 05-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Not true with the 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. I replaced all of mine from e-bay last year. They were all the same size and I got enough to complete the entire motorhome at one time. I believe I bought 20 or so of them for about $10 each from e-bay. I believe they were 10 inch extended and 7 inch compressed and about 70 or 80 pound capacity if I remember correctly.

You can do a search on this site and find the information like I did then.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Amazon has a good selection if you have good numbers. Free shipping if over a certain amount. I'm expecting some next week.

Last summer, I had 3-4 of them go bad, so when I summerized last week, I took off all the sunny side struts and stored them inside.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
Not true with the 2000 Winnebago Adventurer. I replaced all of mine from e-bay last year. They were all the same size and I got enough to complete the entire motorhome at one time. I believe I bought 20 or so of them for about $10 each from e-bay. I believe they were 10 inch extended and 7 inch compressed and about 70 or 80 pound capacity if I remember correctly.

You can do a search on this site and find the information like I did then.
Good move Horseshoe
Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #35
Winnebago Owner

I always replaced the struts on my motorhome, However I did have some customers who were really broke or "frugal". I told them to move the bad struts to the doors they did not use. The doors that cover the sewer, chairs, outside carpet, all the things you use on every trip, should have good struts. The doors that cover the water tank, the converter, the back side of the waste tanks, All the things you rarely use can have the bad struts. this works if you are on a trip and have a failure and want to do this until you get back home.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

If you have securely mounted and strong hinges, you can sometimes get by with only one strut, instead of two.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

All of my basement door gas struts on my 02 Winnebago Adventurer 37G are shot. The old part number SPD-GS-5150-90 has been replaced with GSNI-2150-90 and can be purchased here for $16.90 http://www.spdhardware.com/search/?s=GSNI-2150-90

There is also an ebay listing for an identical gas strut made by
Columbia Strut (CS1525-90) for $12.99 15" 90# RV Marine Columbia Gas Shock Strut Spring Lift Support Rod 15.2" 90lb | eBay

Can you guess which one I'm going for?
offdutyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyRV View Post
All of my basement door gas struts on my 02 Winnebago Adventurer 37G are shot. The old part number SPD-GS-5150-90 has been replaced with GSNI-2150-90 and can be purchased here for $16.90 http://www.spdhardware.com/search/?s=GSNI-2150-90

There is also an ebay listing for an identical gas strut made by
Columbia Strut (CS1525-90) for $12.99 15" 90# RV Marine Columbia Gas Shock Strut Spring Lift Support Rod 15.2" 90lb | eBay

Can you guess which one I'm going for?
Just make sure they will fit and are the correct strength because you won't be able to return them on Ebay. I love Ebay but I've found that Amazon.com is only a couple of dollars more (and sometimes cheaper) and you can return anything.

A lot of Ebay sellers find goods on Amazon and list them on Ebay for $5 - $15 more and when you buy they have Amazon drop ship it to you. They have a prime subscription so shipping is free and they collect that shipping fee too. I first find what I want on Ebay and then search amazon to see where the better deal is.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Just make sure they will fit and are the correct strength because you won't be able to return them on Ebay. I love Ebay but I've found that Amazon.com is only a couple of dollars more (and sometimes cheaper) and you can return anything.

A lot of Ebay sellers find goods on Amazon and list them on Ebay for $5 - $15 more and when you buy they have Amazon drop ship it to you. They have a prime subscription so shipping is free and they collect that shipping fee too. I first find what I want on Ebay and then search amazon to see where the better deal is.
Thanks for the tips but I already checked Amazon with no luck.
The ebay listing is identical in size, extended and compressed length and opening force (90lb) as what the original manufacturer has updated the original gas strut to be. This ebay seller also allows returns and has over 12,000 feedbacks with a 99.9% positive rating. Almost as good as my 100% positive ebay rating.
offdutyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Thx MRBB. Bookmarked. I've bought them from Amzn before.