Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well here we go again. Like many RV'ers, one isn't happy until one has gone all the way. We are looking to upgrade from our '06 Aventurer 38T to a diesel, specifically the Tour 40TD or Ellipse 40TD. Our reasons:

1) Have found we love RV'ing and see ourselves doing for a long time (we are 40yrs old)
2) The lifestyle fits my business perfectly. On the road consultant with contracts at various places around N.A.
3) Can use some of it as a tax write-off for busness
4) Always wanted a diesel for torque and longevity
5) Want to tow more than 5000lbs (have a toad 4100lbs and going to get a motorbike, approx. 700lbs)
6) The 38T is noisier due to having the motor up front
7) The heat from the engine is high during hot summer days (dash AC barely keeps up)

Reasons for not doing it:
1) Cost is always something one needs to consider regardless of being able to write some off for taxes (need to consider early retirement!)
2) We love our 38T! It's a very nice gas coach and have not seen a better one out there.
3) Dealers don't seem to want to 'deal' to get their last '07's off the lot (they are called dealers for a reason!)
4) Will one ever be truly satisfied with their RV and never want to upgrade???

We have looked at Fleetwood, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Damon (Tuscany) and none have two key things Winnebago has: floorplan like the 38T/40TD's and interior ceiling height. The latter makes a difference as we are not tall but find all the others very low. Only Newmar has tall ceilings (84") but have yet to visit a dealer. We really like the look of the Dutch Star but again floorplan likely won't compare.

Opinions? Any one have a Tour/Ellipse 40TD - how do you like the sofa placement vis a vis the TV? Anything we are not thinking of? Pros or Cons? Would like to make a decision this month if possible but that again will depend on whether dealers remember how to 'deal'!

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well here we go again. Like many RV'ers, one isn't happy until one has gone all the way. We are looking to upgrade from our '06 Aventurer 38T to a diesel, specifically the Tour 40TD or Ellipse 40TD. Our reasons:

1) Have found we love RV'ing and see ourselves doing for a long time (we are 40yrs old)
2) The lifestyle fits my business perfectly. On the road consultant with contracts at various places around N.A.
3) Can use some of it as a tax write-off for busness
4) Always wanted a diesel for torque and longevity
5) Want to tow more than 5000lbs (have a toad 4100lbs and going to get a motorbike, approx. 700lbs)
6) The 38T is noisier due to having the motor up front
7) The heat from the engine is high during hot summer days (dash AC barely keeps up)

Reasons for not doing it:
1) Cost is always something one needs to consider regardless of being able to write some off for taxes (need to consider early retirement!)
2) We love our 38T! It's a very nice gas coach and have not seen a better one out there.
3) Dealers don't seem to want to 'deal' to get their last '07's off the lot (they are called dealers for a reason!)

We have looked at Fleetwood, Monaco, Holiday Rambler, Damon (Tuscany) and none have two key things Winnebago has: floorplan like the 38T/40TD's and interior ceiling height. The latter makes a difference as we are not tall but find all the others very low. Only Newmar has tall ceilings (84") but have yet to visit a dealer. We really like the look of the Dutch Star but again floorplan likely won't compare.

Opinions? Any one have a Tour/Ellipse 40TD - how do you like the sofa placement vis a vis the TV? Anything we are not thinking of? Pros or Cons? Would like to make a decision this month if possible but that again will depend on whether dealers remember how to 'deal'!

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 07-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Heres a link to NEWMAR which give you the construction of them and if you go to Products you will see all 2008 models for the coachs your interested in, good luck in your search.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are a couple of Ellipse owners on the forum and I know they are really tickled with that coach. Do a search on both and see what you find and maybe PM them Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Kyle241 I don't have the 40TD floorplan (I wish!) but do have the 2006 Tour 40KD and my wife and I both love it! The only thing I would change would be the floorplan to the TD, but who's complaining.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Kyle,

If noise and heat are the biggest factors, for less then $50 you can install an insulation kit on the doghouse and make quite a difference. My wife and I have been looking at the 38T and the 40TD and just don't like the way you have to squeeze to get at the closets in the bedroom of the 40TD. The two swinging doors in the 40TD tend to cramp you when accessing the closet.

I'd stick with the Adventurer until they work out the closets in the TD.

Myself I like my 35U so much that even though we look we still come back to it as the best for us.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I concur with Neil V, I've been looking and I haven't found any rig that fits our tastes as well as a 35U...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The 35U was a great floorplan. The Adventurer/Suncruiser 35L is a great replacement for the old 35U.

I have a 38R. The 38R is basically a stretched 35U.

IMHO, the huge bedroom slide, with large sliding door closet, used in the 35U, 38R and 35L make these models very livable.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Kyle, I understand all about wanting something newer and nicer. In my opinion, it comes down to how much is enough. If I had tons of money I might never stop "upgrading." I don't, so I don't.
One issue I could debate is that of longevity with a diesel. No doubt, the deisel engine will outlast a gasser. But, what about the rest of the coach? If the framework falls apart we can't just sit on the engine and drive down the highway. What I'm saying is, I do not believe a diesel coach will outlast a gasser--overall.
Don't forget that newer gasoline engines have been developed that rival diesels in power. The former are easier on the pocketbook too, in terms of repair.
Again, if money is not an object by all means go for it.
Best of luck to you no matter what you decide and DON'T LOOK BACK.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35'
Art E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Kyle, we took delivery of our first ever MH in May and we decided on the Ellipse 40FD 400 Cummins. We were literally on our way to buy an HR Endeavor when we stopped in to look at the Ellipse and in was all over. The two swing factors were ceiling height and floorplan. I'm 6'6" tall so the head room is a big deal, but the floorplan is incredible. With all four slides open, the fireplace glowing, and a movie with surround sound playing you forget you're in an RV at all!

Well, we've been on the road for two months and love it even more than we had hoped. Yes, we've had all the new coach start up problems but still are very happy with our purchase. Tomorrow we will be pulling in to Forest City for a few days and hope to get it serviced while there and to tour the birthplace of our baby.

Good luck!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

to Neil V -- you posted about an insulation kit for the dog house on your Adventurer. Where did you buy it?

Thanks
GrammaAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Kyle,

You need to check the Newmar Dutch Star 4317 floor plan. 4 slides, rear bath and a guest potty. The 4320 is a full wall, rear bath and a guest potty.

But, what ever you buy... have fun.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">to Neil V -- you posted about an insulation kit for the dog house on your Adventurer. Where did you buy it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get the kit from Camping World and other RV supplies and accessories sources. Some folks have bought the insulating material from auto supply stores.

I can tell you from experience with our old gasser, the stuff really works to deaden the sound and minimize heat transfer from the doghouse.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for your input.

Neil V., you reminded me of a job I have put off, insulating the doghouse. I plan to do that this coming weekend when the Dynamat has arrived from Summit.

Art, words of wisdom. You are correct that gas engines these days, they do last longer. Money is always an issue no matter what I buy, I just don't like to spend it! For now I'll probably sit back and enjoy what we have as we really like it and it's $80,000 less expensive than the Tour so that's money in my pocket.

RickO, I hear ya. We looked at the Diplomat and while they are nice, the inside space was not the same. I put it to the higher ceilings and the layout. Winnie seems to have my business for the forseeable future.

We may just wait for someone to give up a little used Tour/Ellipse TD in a year or two. That might be the best solution and if it doesn't come along, oh well, we love our 38T.

Thanks again everyone for being my sounding board.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Tks.
Kyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so, that's why I stay clear of MH dealers. The grass always looks greener on the other side. "There's nothing like the smell of a new rig in the morning"
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote