Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have been unsuccesful in locating a tech manual or instructions on how to tighten the A and E covering on our slide outs (2006 Ellipse). Any help or suggestons will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Dave and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have been unsuccesful in locating a tech manual or instructions on how to tighten the A and E covering on our slide outs (2006 Ellipse). Any help or suggestons will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dave,

I haven't had a need to tighten the awning, but have changed one out. The awning is shipped with a big clevis pin going through one side of the round housing, the shaft of the rotating part, and out the housing on the other side. If you look at the housing just inboard of short locking arm, you should see a hole in the housing and another one on the other side. If the shaft happens to be in just the right position, you can see all the way through.

Some one will probably come up with an easier way of doing this, but this procedure should prevent busted knuckles...

1) Run the slideout all the way out.
2) Manually unroll the awning slightly further, if necessary, to line up the holes in the housing and shaft. You can use a big screwdriver in the slot of the housing, if needed.
3) Insert large clevis pin or substitute.
4) Dismount the awning brackets from the slideout. (Never, ever do this without the clevis pin inserted)
5) Manually roll up the awning one turn. (Just rotate the whole housing, shaft, bracket assembly around the loose awning material)
6) Run the slideout all the way back in and then run it partially back out till it matches up with the awning.
7) Remount the awning brackets to the slideout.
8) Remove the clevis pin.
9) Run the slideout on out till fully open.

That should add one turn of tension to the awning. If you feel that won't be enough, modify step 5.

Good luck and be very careful. If that tension gets loose, it can do a lot of damage to you and the RV - just keep it under control with the clevis through the shaft...

On edit: After reading the thread supplied by Jim, change all my references to a clevis pin to read cotter pin. Don't know where I got clevis... From reading the other posts, adding tension doesn't sound like a great idea anyway.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom for info.

We already have had the covers replaced but after numerous non-favorable experiences with our local dealer(s) on other maintenance items, I am considering tightening these covers on my own.

Again, thank-you very much.

Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #5

Often slide toppers sag because the topper material itself has stretched. It is not recommended to tighten the topper by placing added torsion to the torsion assembly. (This is why you have found no factory instructions in regard to this) You can run into issues when you go over recommended torsion.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Bill,

Thanks for the update. I will definitely check with A and E before doing anything. The topper material was replaced about one year ago and it is sagging again to the point that any rain whatsoever accumulates on cover.

Thanks for info.

Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #7

Dave, Even a brand new, properly torsioned slide topper will sag when faced with / challenged by a torrential rain(s). Once it sags because it is loaded with rain, it is more apt to stretch and to have delamination of the slide topper material. As the material stretches the sag appears whether the topper has water on it or not. Best bet is to have the slide topper torsion as per factory recommendations. Use an adjunct of some sort to prevent the sag during torrential rains. There are a few options in regard to the adjunct I mention. The one I use for my large slide topper is the Awning AirWedge as sold here. (You do need a small air pump/compressor to fill) This works great for me. Just one under my large topper and absolutely no sag or flapping in the wind. YES, you can come up with other less expensive alternatives to obtain the same no sag of slide toppers. If you tighten a topper and allow to sag with rain it will just sag and stretch again. You can only torsion so much before you break a torsion spring or weaken a torsion spring.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I took my Suncruiser back to the factory last fall and one of the things on the list was to check the slide topper awnings because they sagged enough to collect water. The service people said that they should not be tightened any more that they were because they would run the risk of rubbing on the slide and tearing. Their advice was to just run the slides in and back out to get rid of the rain pooling. They also said that they will flap a bit in the wind and make noise but that is normal. Again, they said to just run the slide in if it gets real windy. I'm not totally happy with those answers but that appears to be the official factory position. Of course that was based upon my awnings and maybe yours are looser.
Happy RVing!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is another thread with instructions.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I had my 2 toppers replaced last month in Quartzsite, and amazing to watch how it was done by someone who does it for a living.

With the slide out, he removed the unfurling lever. Then on the rear of the awning, using 2 screwdrivers he unwound the tube until the end of the topper was visible. He left 1 screwdriver in to keep it from winding back up. Then he removed the topper by sliding it towards the rear, after removing the two holding screws in the awning rail.

He then widened slightly the rear ends of the awning rail and roller where the new topper slid back into.

I closed the slide and he slid in the new topper, then aligned the edges. He then turned the tube with the screwdriver slightly, put his right hand under the tube, gripping it, removed the screwdriver and let the tube wind up by easing the pressure with his right hand. When it had about 6 inches to go he just let it go.

When he removed the living room topper he mentioned he thought the mechanism was a little slack, so added another turn before installing the new one. Guess he knows just from experience.

I think the strip of velcro material along the slide top edge is added by Winnebago, as the installer said they never add any, don't even carry any. Mine were still attached.

Our coach was built in Aug 2002, so guess 5 1/2 years is not bad. The replacements were Carefree.