Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ever so often I get a loud thumping noise from the right side of my coach. It seems to occur when I am travelling above 55 mph and there is a strong wind blowing from the right. Anyone have any idea what is causing this noise?

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ever so often I get a loud thumping noise from the right side of my coach. It seems to occur when I am travelling above 55 mph and there is a strong wind blowing from the right. Anyone have any idea what is causing this noise?

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Could it be your awning?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not the awnings. They are tight against the side and I am unable to move them. I checked everything in the wheel wells and found no apparent cause of the noise.

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Those kinds of noises can be frustrating. Pretty much has to be an awning or perhaps an unsecured compartment door that the wind is catching. Other possibilities would be a loose body panel but I doubt that on an '05 coach. You might try driving the coach in that kind of condition where a friend/spouse/whoever can drive along beside you and look for something moving. Even an awning strap can be noisy in the right conditions.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We had the same noise on our 04 Meridan and it was the flap between the rear wheels and the propane tank. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from but someone on this form wrote about it,we checked and the screws were loose. Ken removed them and used locktight no more noise.
kenjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've noticed the mud flaps in the wheel wells will flap against the tires when a cross wind is just right. Does it on both sides, haven't found a cure. That metal flap or shield, behind the propane tank, will flutter even with tight screws. I attached a stout wire from the bottom of the shield to a frame member near the propane tank. That cured that noise.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

bill j, any chance of a photo of your fix near the propane tank?

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I think your noise is the front mudflaps. I had the same problem the day I got my Journey. I had the dealer reinforce the flaps with thin pieces of strap iron in sort of an upside down T formation. It worked, no more flapping of mud flaps in the wind
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We also get the thumping noise when there is a strong cross wind. I believe the front mud flap (I think it's the driver side) is hitting against the basement storage compartment. I have not yet found a solution, but what lake describes sounds like a good possibility.

2005 Itasca Meridian
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hi James,
Actually had all of these things happen on the Journey we had. If the noise has a metallic flapping sound to it I'd suspect the metal plate between the rear wheels and the propane tank. It's there to keep rocks from flying into the tank. Can't remember for sure but I think ours vibrated so hard and so much that it broke the weld. I fixed it by drilling holes and adding bolts, and a brace.

Your problem sounds more like a panel to the rear of the steps hitting the retracted steps. With ours, I braced this panel to the step bracket with a bolt and standoff. I think this can also have a flapping quality to it.

See if you can have someone isolate the noise area next time it happens or look for ware patterns on any metal panels that you can wiggle or rubber flaps that could move far enough to hit something.

As mentioned by Flash, I have also had strong cross winds try to unroll the slide covers or awning cover. This too sounds like a ˜loud thumping noise'. I don't remember seeing the awning struts lift away from the wall but we confirmed it by opening a window and looking up at the awning. The slide covers try to unroll a little causing the stop arm to hit the sidewall. The awning just moves a little and then bangs back into the wall.

The mud flap problem as described by bill j, lake, and John affected only the right side as I recall. On our Journey, there was nothing for the flap on the left side to hit. This was fixed with a homemade bracket.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

James: My thumping noise always comes from the right front mud flap. I am going to create a brace that Lake recommended. Another thing for the TO DO LIST. Thanks for the topic.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'll try to figure out how to post the pix on that flap. I'm not real proud of the fix, I did it on the road at a rest stop. That was last summer. Temporary fixes tend to last forever.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all for your responses. I know now that this noise is not unique to my coach. I will look closer at the flaps and see if I can discover any wear spots. I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

We almost took our Journey back to the dealer within 30 minutes of our first trip. Sounded like someone was hitting the bottom right with a hammer, had a lot of money in Nascar tickets so we continued on. As other have mention it usually happens when the wind is coming from the right. It took about 6 months to fine the real problem right front mud flap was hitting the bottom of the right storage compartment. Another noise was the guard behind the steps vibrating. Her are the links to the pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...hoto=1692&cat=
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...oto=1691&cat=2
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
James,

This may sound crazy, but I have had the same problem with my Brave. By rotating my right side view mirror up, I determined that the cause was the pull down strap for the awning hitting the side of the coach. A piece of Velcro solved the problem.

This happened at almost any speed, but, since it was on the right side, I thought that I'd throw the suggestion in.

It was an easy fix. Hope you find it soon.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We have the same thumping sound from the passenger side front mud flap on our 2004 Journey 32T. Only there with strong side wind and never have heard any thumping from the driver side. Will have to try some stiffening of the flap.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

OK James, did the photo, look in member's gallery under flap fix.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks much bill j. I will go see if I have the same setup.

Annapolis, MD
Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

It's the 'splash' panel between the rt. rear duals and the propane/LP tank. Tighten or replace will fix.

'04 Journey 39K
Jeep Lib 4x4
Fulltimer
cletusclutch is offline   Reply With Quote