Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have 02 Horizon, my heat pump stopped working. When I slide the switch to electric heat, gas heat comes on. not the heat pump. Everything else works properly, ac, fan, auto or manual, shuts everything off, when slide to that position on thermostat. Switch to heat pump, raise the temp for the heat pump to come on, it clicks, but no heat. fan high and low speed works when switched to either. Checked the electric panel, on the heat, ac unit. seems like everything there is intacted according to the diagram listed on the back side of the panels cover. Anyone have heat pump problems?
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have 02 Horizon, my heat pump stopped working. When I slide the switch to electric heat, gas heat comes on. not the heat pump. Everything else works properly, ac, fan, auto or manual, shuts everything off, when slide to that position on thermostat. Switch to heat pump, raise the temp for the heat pump to come on, it clicks, but no heat. fan high and low speed works when switched to either. Checked the electric panel, on the heat, ac unit. seems like everything there is intacted according to the diagram listed on the back side of the panels cover. Anyone have heat pump problems?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

So you're saying that:

+ In the electric heat mode, basement blower starts, but compressors don't start?

+ In A/C mode, compressors and blowers start, everything normal?

+ In furnace mode, everything is normal?

If I have accurately parsed your post, then I would suspect the thermostat. If you surf to the RVP (manufacturer) web site, find your model number and download the manual - they have diagnostic information.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rich there is a differential built into the thermostat..Don't know if this is your problem but if the temp is ? degrees lower than the setting, the gas will come on till you get within ? degrees of the Electric Heat differential then it will come on. After that only the Electric Heat will come on.. John has more experience in this scenario than I, but it also could be a bad thermo...Good Luck

After rereading your post when you raise the temp the gas comes on? not the electric? could you be raising the temp to much to create the above situation?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Rich, I have an 05 Meridian. My AC quit working, but my heat pump was ok. I checked the heat pump circuit board, and noted the green light was on, which says that the circuit board is ok. Since the heat pump side worked, it suggested that the compressors and the outside fan was working. That left the thermostat. My thermostat didn't "click", however. RV Products was kind enough to send a new thermostat, and that solved the problem.
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Rich there is a differential built into the thermostat..Don't know if this is your problem but if the temp is ? degrees lower than the setting, the gas will come on till you get within ? degrees of the Electric Heat differential then it will come on. After that only the Electric Heat will come on.. John has more experience in this scenario than I, but it also could be a bad thermo...Good Luck

After rereading your post when you raise the temp the gas comes on? not the electric? could you be raising the temp to much to create the above situation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by richierich:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:

After rereading your post when you raise the temp the gas comes on? not the electric? could you be raising the temp to much to create the above situation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gas portion of thermostat comes on, even if I raise the set point 2 deg. This is while the slide switch is set on the heat pump side. Sounds like my thermostat is bad, reading the replys I received. Thanks all
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rich, maybe I am confused. Happens a lot lately,
but if you raise the set point (higher temp) then the gas will run longer as you are creating a larger time until the electric would normally come on.
Set the thermo to electric heat and about 8 degrees higher than the temp in the coach. When the gas comes on let it run till it satisfies itself, the electric should come on somewhere in this cycle. If the electric never comes on then you have a bad thermo or some other problem. Do not readjust the thermo once you have set it. May or may not work. Good Luck

if the gas comes
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rich,

If the system operates ok in the cooling mode, then I would check the following:

-Pin #8 on the thermostat housing connector (white wire), for +12VDC
(If you hear the thermostat click & you then read +12VDC on pin 8, thermostat should be OK)

-Check green light on basement unit circuit board. My info shows the following:

*If steady, all is ok
*If blinking slowly, system is in 3 min time delay mode
*If blinking fast, there is either no line voltage to circuit 1, or one of the coil thermistors are open
*If no light, the PC board has lost 12VDC