Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #1

Thermopane windows

Never paid attention when we bought our coach, but noticed the coach windows are thermopane, but not any of the cab windows and of course not the windshield.

Do the higher end coaches have thermopane windows in the cab? (drivers side, door, passenger window, etc.)
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

No, the only windows that are dual pane are the "RV windows". The vehicle windows such as the drivers/passenger side windows and the windshield are not thermo pane.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

All my windows are thermopane except the windshield.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post

X2.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Mine too, Dolphin gasser.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My Itasca Suncruiser has all dual pane windows except the windshield and the dirver's door power window. Actually the windshield and the driver's door window is two panes of glass laminated together. So every window is two panes of glass.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Same here, including the driver and passenger side windows.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
X3

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Older upscale Monacos are thermopane and the cab windows and windshield are bonded double pane glass. The make heating and cooling much more efficient. Cant vouch for new coaches but would assume so.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Mine also.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Here too.
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Most Class A coaches with dual pane windows include all windows expect windshield. Class B and Cs will have standard automotive safety glass.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Our 2001 Adventurer had dual pane windows all around except for the drivers door. It sounded like a great idea, but when the passengers side window fogged up it was impossible to use that side mirror. Also the dual pane window on the passengers side gave more reflection when driving in the dark.

Our 2013 Adventurer has dual pane windows all around except the cab. It's easier to use the mirror when driving at night and there will never be a problem with it fogging.

I believe the newer coaches that have dual pane windows in the cab have a mirror arrangement where they than can be seen through the windshield like the Grand Tour. Even if a side window should fog up it wouldn't interfere with the drivers vision.

Those that have mirrors arranged so the driver has to look through a side window to see the mirror use single pane windows in the cab.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Never paid attention when we bought our coach, but noticed the coach windows are thermopane, but not any of the cab windows and of course not the windshield.
Do the higher end coaches have thermopane windows in the cab? (drivers side, door, passenger window, etc.)
Atom Ant
On my '96 Safari the glass in all 8 windows is dual pane insulated glass.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

2000 Itasca Horizon - Coach only has dual pane windows cab and windshield are not dual pane.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago uses the excuse that windows "may' fog. Hopefully, you have read enough here of even older coaches with thermopane windows still in use without fogging.

QUALITY is the main criteria......quality costs!
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarasParents View Post
Winnebago uses the excuse that windows "may' fog. Hopefully, you have read enough here of even older coaches with thermopane windows still in use without fogging.

QUALITY is the main criteria......quality costs!

All I can say is my 8 yo Camelot has 15 double pane windows and no fogging. And if they fog I will get em fixed. They are worth it just for the comfort.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
All I can say is my 8 yo Camelot has 15 double pane windows and no fogging. And if they fog I will get em fixed. They are worth it just for the comfort.
I have "creeping seals" in 3 of the 16 panes of insulated double pane glass in my coach windows...(but none of my window panes have "fogged").
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #19

Interesting responses all, Thanks! I was thinking it would be a consistent design, but evidently not. I do have a driver mirror on the side which might explain my driver window being standard automotive glass.

As these are passenger vehicles, it would be interesting to learn how many are safety glass, but a little harder to tell.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Interesting responses all, Thanks! I was thinking it would be a consistent design, but evidently not. I do have a driver mirror on the side which might explain my driver window being standard automotive glass.

As these are passenger vehicles, it would be interesting to learn how many are safety glass, but a little harder to tell.
The only window required to be laminated "safety glass" even in an automobile is the windshield. The others are now all "tempered" glass. The tempered glass doesn't break into shards, rather it breaks into little chunks.

Tempered glass is a far better choice for all windows other than the windshield. Since it can be broken from the inside it would allow a faster exit in an emergency. laminated glass is difficult and time consuming to remove even if it's cracked.

On average it takes an experienced first responder 5 minutes to remove laminated glass to allow exit. Tempered glass can be broken by a single swift hit with a pointed object like a punch. There are a number of manufacturers that make a tool specifically for breaking tempered glass and cutting seat belts to exit an automobile in an emergency.

I'm sure there are many older coaches on the road with dual pane windows that haven't had trouble. However it's more common than you might think. If you search "fogged windows" you'll find there are 199 pages of threads on the subject. Each thread has between 5 and over 14,000 responses. I'm sure not all the responses deal with the initial subject, but it is certainly something many people have experienced. Many of the OP's and responders have chosen to replace their dual pane windows with single pane ones due to expense, and to eliminate the possibility of the problem reoccurring.

I believe the manufacturers are going to single pane glass in many situations to eliminate a potential safety problem, and eliminate a cause for possible complaints. Our 2013 Adventurer has single pane glass in both the drivers side and passenger's side cab windows. This is only 1 less window than in our previous coach. We see no difference in heating or cooling capacity or cost. The only difference is that the single pane windows have more of a tendency to sweat in hot humid weather, and fog in cool weather.

Tags
window