Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I hope I can explain this to be understood.
On our 02 Chieftain 39T the entry door electric step is attached to the bottom of the "first step" on the coach, by 4 bolts that I understand are tack welded above the plate.
Has anyone had to re-inforce the inside, or backside, of the plate the electric step is bolted to?
The left side of the electric step pulls down under weight and all bolts are tight.

Suggestions?, help?, ideas? It's not going to get any better.

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I hope I can explain this to be understood.
On our 02 Chieftain 39T the entry door electric step is attached to the bottom of the "first step" on the coach, by 4 bolts that I understand are tack welded above the plate.
Has anyone had to re-inforce the inside, or backside, of the plate the electric step is bolted to?
The left side of the electric step pulls down under weight and all bolts are tight.

Suggestions?, help?, ideas? It's not going to get any better.

Thanks,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I installed a new 3 step electric step I was able to line up only 2 of the bolts near the outside wall the 2 in rear were in a space on step mounting plate. I drilled a hole thru the mounting plate in rear and into the welded iron square "D" frame. Used 2 self threading bolts thru mounting plate and into sq "D".
Are you sure your frame is still welded and not snapped of frame of chassis at the weld point.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Daysu47, I have an 02 Adventurer, and had the same problem. Problem is most likely you will have to drop the step from the motorhome and you will find that 1 or 2 of the welded bolts that hold the step to the motorhome are broken loose and are pulling out of the bottom of that first step.
I had my local mechanic drop the step and he put the welded bolts in line and cut 2 pieces of 1/8" steel about 2" wide and width of the bottom and drilled hole for the bolt to slip thru, then he carefully mig welded them to strengthen the bottom of that step where your Kwiki step is attached which strengthened the bolts and he reattached the step. Design where those bolts are, is a very poor one as there is no way to get inside that step to reinforce from inside, but this job seems to be working.

Pap, Penna
2002 Winnebago Adventurer
2004 Suzuki XL 7
Pap, Penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply 007 and Pap, Penna, I decided to do it myself after talking to Winnebago and picking there brain as to the construction of the step area. I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself!!
Pap, your right, poor design, BUT, since I used to be a welder in the Navy, ASE mechanic afterwards, etc., etc., I decided to do it myself.

Simple project, one evening, removed 1st step rubber mat, and then, with jigsaw, cut hole in first step, about 2" all around smaller, and there it was, the stud on the rear outside was still welded but the plate cracked 2" in 2 directions.

Simple fix, went to local metal joint, got a 5"x5" 3/16" plate for the cracked area and a 18 gauge plate for the step previously cut out. Drilled 2 holes in plate for mount and added extra hole for extra support for Kwiki step. With die grinder ground off bolt head and replaced with new 3x8" bolts. Solid as a rock.

Then pop riveted new step plate, over cut out hole used for access, with 3/16" steel rivets, and then glued rubber mat back down onto new plate on step.

Total time, 3.5 hours, $3.90 in materials, and as DW said, that will last longer than you!!
Wonder what she meant by that??

Hopefully no one has this problem as we did but hopefully we have given them the knowledge to fix it without too much expense.

Later all
David
Old 10-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:
Thanks for the reply 007 and Pap, Penna, I decided to do it myself after talking to Winnebago and picking there brain as to the construction of the step area. I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself!!
Pap, your right, poor design, BUT, since I used to be a welder in the Navy, ASE mechanic afterwards, etc., etc., I decided to do it myself.

Simple project, one evening, removed 1st step rubber mat, and then, with jigsaw, cut hole in first step, about 2" all around smaller, and there it was, the stud on the rear outside was still welded but the plate cracked 2" in 2 directions.

Simple fix, went to local metal joint, got a 5"x5" 3/16" plate for the cracked area and a 18 gauge plate for the step previously cut out. Drilled 2 holes in plate for mount and added extra hole for extra support for Kwiki step. With die grinder ground off bolt head and replaced with new 3x8" bolts. Solid as a rock.

Then pop riveted new step plate, over cut out hole used for access, with 3/16" steel rivets, and then glued rubber mat back down onto new plate on step.

Total time, 3.5 hours, $3.90 in materials, and as DW said, that will last longer than you!!

Hopefully no one has this problem as we did but hopefully we have given them the knowledge to fix it without too much expense.

Later all
David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,

I have the same problem on my 2001 Adventurer. The left side of the step is dropping and springy when you step on it. From the reply of the PDI tech when I bought the coach, "that's Ok it is normal for it to be like this", I take it that a lot of coaches have this problem.

I think they over engineer sometimes and don't go old school and beef up these potential problem areas when they should. They did not save that much weight or cut much real cost by thinning out the step attachment plate from what it was in the mid nineties. My 95 Winni was solid as a rock in the step area.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daysu47:

Later all

David,

I have the same problem on my 2001 Adventurer. The left side of the step is dropping and springy when you step on it. From the reply of the PDI tech when I bought the coach, "that's Ok it is normal for it to be like this", I take it that a lot of coaches have this problem.

I think they over engineer sometimes and don't go old school and beef up these potential problem areas when they should. They did not save that much weight or cut much real cost by thinning out the step attachment plate from what it was in the mid nineties. My 95 Winni was solid as a rock in the step area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,

I verified last night that I do have exactly the same problem and so do most Winnebagos in the early 2000's that I saw at LazyDays last week. Winni should step up to the plate and send out a recall notice on this one. One person taking a toss from the step pulling through from this would be one too many.

I am taking the step out of service until I have time to fix it or Winni steps up to the plate and offers to take care of it, whichever comes first.

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess it is a problem!

The design is very poor and a weak area considering the use and forces received in that area. The mounting material is only 16-18 gauge steel and there is NO reinforcing at the bolt heads. The bolt heads are welded all around instead of tack welded. The welding of the heads all around gets the plate material too hot and causes it to loose its strength. As in this case, causing two 2" cracks in the plate at the weld on the bolt head located at the rear outside area. And, of coarse, this area receives the most use going up the steps thru the door.

Hopefully, this problem is corrected in future production of these units, because the repair can be costly if you cannot do it yourself.

That's my educated 2 cents.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I guess it is a problem!

The design is very poor and a weak area considering the use and forces received in that area. The mounting material is only 16-18 gauge steel and there is NO reinforcing at the bolt heads. The bolt heads are welded all around instead of tack welded. The welding of the heads all around gets the plate material too hot and causes it to loose its strength. As in this case, causing two 2" cracks in the plate at the weld on the bolt head located at the rear outside area. And, of coarse, this area receives the most use going up the steps thru the door.

Hopefully, this problem is corrected in future production of these units, because the repair can be costly if you cannot do it yourself.

That's my educated 2 cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

David,

I would have used a fender plate with a fluted shank on the bolt like those that are used on a overhead door track or lug stud.

NHTSA should put this out for remediation as a recall. I would think that the chance for morbity here would warrant it.

I have the technology to fix it myself but may drop the dime with a call or email to the NHTSA and see if we can get more than just my own taken care of. Checking out what was on the used lot at LazyDays made it apparent that this goes much further that just yours or mine.

Regards,
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dave and Neil

I had my step repaired by my local garage, a young man that works on race cars as a hobby as well as works on all kinds of vehicles from oil changes to motor jobs to exhaust systems for all types of vehicle, a very dependable young man. He did my job in about 2 hours, or less, and my bill was $72.00.

But I agree with Neil, this goes beyond just our Motorhomes, I am sure there are numberous failures out there just waiting to happen.

Jack G
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Pap, Penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pap, Penna:
Dave and Neil

I had my step repaired by my local garage, a young man that works on race cars as a hobby as well as works on all kinds of vehicles from oil changes to motor jobs to exhaust systems for all types of vehicle, a very dependable young man. He did my job in about 2 hours, or less, and my bill was $72.00.

But I agree with Neil, this goes beyond just our Motorhomes, I am sure there are numberous failures out there just waiting to happen.

Jack G
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just got off the phone with Winnie and was dissapointed that no offer was made to assist in any way with the step repairs although it was admitted that this is a known problem. So that is what I reported to the NHTSA this evening.

Lets see if the Office of Defect Investigation can get anything rolling on this. I know I can fix this myself in a variety of ways but this does no service to those who have not got a clue that they could be doing a half gainer off their steps when they fail.

Hopefully at least a letter of notice warning of this potential failure may go out as a result even if Winnie does not step up to the plate and take care of this.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Neil V,

Ya did a great service bring this problem to light. Ya gotta remember, the guy ya talked to at Winne probably had no idea what you were talkin about and was just agreeing with you.
I think most of the time, I think those "tech. Reps" are just a mouth piece in front of a computer. You mention "step", he enters "step" in the computer, and all of a sudden he's an expert.
Usually what I do is get them to FAX me the drawing, etc. and I'll figure it out for myself.
Hopefully, making NHTSA aware of this problem will get something done about it.
Great job, for sure you will be helping someone not as handy as us and eventually may get this design flaw fixed without major cost BEFORE they break their butts!!

Later all,

David
Old 11-01-2006, 12:22 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

the guy ya talked to at Winne probably had no idea what you were talkin about and was just agreeing with you.

Usually what I do is get them to FAX me the drawing, etc. and I'll figure it out for myself.

I got that impression also. He didn't get my email address right either and had to resort to using what Winnie considers the "inferior method of email communications" to get the plans for the step box. They were revised in 2004 to show the bolts going through 2 C channels running from the inside edge of the plate under the first step to the outside edge.

If they revised this in 2004 then problems had to have become evident prior to that, so why do I seem to be the first one to file this with the NHTSA? I see issues from people who overinflated their tires, got blowouts and filed because they didn't think that overinflating their own tires and was their own fault and that Winnie should take care of it however this other issue that is clearly in the manufacturers area of responcibility goes unreported and unresolved after multiple years have gone by.

Maybe if everyone that has thus far had to deal with this out of their own pocket informs the NHTSA then there may be a better chance that all the coaches prone to this failure will be taken care of before some gets seriously injured or looses their life.

It only takes a few minute to file and lets face it, if you pay taxes you have already paid for this service.

Regards,