Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HI All
So I guess I'm paying the price for a warm summer. So cool and damp this past weekend in these parts that I fired up the furnace to take the chill off.
Circulation fan works fine, furnace fires and runs for app. 15 seconds then shuts down. It'll cycle through this 4 or 5 times, firing and shutting down and then stays off.
I have blown clean the intake and exhaust (no real result other than a bit of rust)and have tried to pull the panel but the stainless steel exhaust/intake cover really doesn't want to let go. I can't get the panel off without getting that cover. Six screws and lots of sealant - do I just keep pulling? Any suggestions?
Any idea what to look for once I'm in there?
It's a Suburban Furnace, model #SF-42.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

HI All
So I guess I'm paying the price for a warm summer. So cool and damp this past weekend in these parts that I fired up the furnace to take the chill off.
Circulation fan works fine, furnace fires and runs for app. 15 seconds then shuts down. It'll cycle through this 4 or 5 times, firing and shutting down and then stays off.
I have blown clean the intake and exhaust (no real result other than a bit of rust)and have tried to pull the panel but the stainless steel exhaust/intake cover really doesn't want to let go. I can't get the panel off without getting that cover. Six screws and lots of sealant - do I just keep pulling? Any suggestions?
Any idea what to look for once I'm in there?
It's a Suburban Furnace, model #SF-42.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

LazyDog

With my furnace problems I found this web site on how to trouble shoot your furnace problems, it might help.

http://rverscorner.com/furnace1.html#other

Have you check the easy thing 1st, like is the cold air return clear of obstructions? Also are all the heating vents clear, if there is not enough airflow the furnace won't work.

Goodluck.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Rich - the rectangular stainless steel vent/exhaust should just pull off with a little nudging/wiggling and then you can unscrew and remove the larger cover plate.

Once you get the cover plate(s) off then you can at least see the guts of the furnace. I think you need to pull the furnace for any serious troubleshooting, but I'm not sure. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Fellas!

rvcarpenter - Thanks for the link to the site, the info refering to the circuit board pretty much points to an issue with the limit switch, the sensor/electrode or the board itself!

John - Thanks, I'll pull (and wiggle) a little harder to get the stainless steel vent off. From the owners manual I believe you are correct in that the furnace will have to be removed to get a good look but I'll give it a try!

Already booked a Service Appointment, just in case! Will let you all know how it turns out!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

LazyDog
Let me know how it turns out, and what was wrong, I have my own problems, but not as serious as yours.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well Folks, it just goes to show that some days there's nothing to do but throw you hands in the air and smile.
With the good advice from this forum I mustered the courage to pull and tug till I managed to get to the plates off and get to the "guts". Took the furnace out, blew it out with compressed air, sanded the electrode and cleaned some more. Slid her back in and ....... nothing!
Droped it off at the dealer with my almost expert opinion that it had to be the circuit board and left! They called the next day, (the guy on the phone was smiling, I know he was!!) to tell me there was nothing wrong! They took the furnace out CLEANED IT, slid her back in and, wouldn't you know it, it's working fine! Nothing an hour's labor charge couldn't fix anyway! Just to be sure we took it for a weekend run (nights here are now VERY close to freezing) and it was "A" OK! (or is the OK, eh)

Rest assured, I'm not complaining! I wish all our RV problems were so easily cured!
Thanks for the help and advice!