Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

The tail cap on my '03 Ultimate Advantage has come unglued from the support member behind it at the lower right corner outside the exhaust pipe. It is unnoticeable from the outside, but when I noted exhaust soot on the edge of the cap where it it cutout for the exhaust pipe, I found I could push the cap corner in apx 1-2 inches before it contacts the support member behind it. I suspect it probably moves some in the wind while underway, and could lead to additional separations if not re-attached. The support member appears to be fiberglass also. Can someone tell me what adhesive I need to re-glue the tail cap to the support member behind it?

I need to order some other parts from Lichtsinn. I imagine they can sell me the right adhesive, but thought someone here might know what it is too.

Another storage compartment door latch has cracked inside the latch mechanism ...that's the 5th latch broken in the three years we've owned the coach. The last one I bought had some mfg improvements in it. Unfortunately, all the others replaced under warranty were replaced with the poorly made version subject to breaking internally. The latch I paid for was about $64 ...of course it comes in black, so you have to pay to have it painted also.

A couple of days ago I had a new storage compartment door problem ...the plastic piece that springs out on each side of the door to engage the plastic striker boxes broke off of one side on one door. It appears to be part of the metal plate that is pop-riveted into the side of the door ...looks like I get to learn more about the internal workings of the compartment doors!

...and I haven't even completed the last project I ordered parts for ...a piece of wood trim fell off the side of the bedroom drawer unit to the left of the bed. It is about 5 ft long, and was installed with two full-length pieces of double-sided tape. I first though I would just leave it off as it seemed to be out of sight and without useful function. Then we found that when the slide is closed the piece is exposed and you can see into the side of the drawer unit ...then I also discovered the bottom drawer didn't want to stay latched because the piece was the primary anchor to that side of the drawer unit face. I secured the face some by adding screws to the drawer slide into the side framework. I got some wood plugs from Lichtsinn so I can sink screws into the piece that fell off to securely anchor it back in place. I'm not quite sure exactly how to anchor it to the back support that is not accessible from the side, but I'm sure I can figure something out that will be more secure than double-sided tape that will only dry out and fall off again. It would have been easier to secure right if it had been done properly at the factory...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The tail cap on my '03 Ultimate Advantage has come unglued from the support member behind it at the lower right corner outside the exhaust pipe. It is unnoticeable from the outside, but when I noted exhaust soot on the edge of the cap where it it cutout for the exhaust pipe, I found I could push the cap corner in apx 1-2 inches before it contacts the support member behind it. I suspect it probably moves some in the wind while underway, and could lead to additional separations if not re-attached. The support member appears to be fiberglass also. Can someone tell me what adhesive I need to re-glue the tail cap to the support member behind it?

I need to order some other parts from Lichtsinn. I imagine they can sell me the right adhesive, but thought someone here might know what it is too.

Another storage compartment door latch has cracked inside the latch mechanism ...that's the 5th latch broken in the three years we've owned the coach. The last one I bought had some mfg improvements in it. Unfortunately, all the others replaced under warranty were replaced with the poorly made version subject to breaking internally. The latch I paid for was about $64 ...of course it comes in black, so you have to pay to have it painted also.

A couple of days ago I had a new storage compartment door problem ...the plastic piece that springs out on each side of the door to engage the plastic striker boxes broke off of one side on one door. It appears to be part of the metal plate that is pop-riveted into the side of the door ...looks like I get to learn more about the internal workings of the compartment doors!

...and I haven't even completed the last project I ordered parts for ...a piece of wood trim fell off the side of the bedroom drawer unit to the left of the bed. It is about 5 ft long, and was installed with two full-length pieces of double-sided tape. I first though I would just leave it off as it seemed to be out of sight and without useful function. Then we found that when the slide is closed the piece is exposed and you can see into the side of the drawer unit ...then I also discovered the bottom drawer didn't want to stay latched because the piece was the primary anchor to that side of the drawer unit face. I secured the face some by adding screws to the drawer slide into the side framework. I got some wood plugs from Lichtsinn so I can sink screws into the piece that fell off to securely anchor it back in place. I'm not quite sure exactly how to anchor it to the back support that is not accessible from the side, but I'm sure I can figure something out that will be more secure than double-sided tape that will only dry out and fall off again. It would have been easier to secure right if it had been done properly at the factory...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

AFChap,about twenty threads down from this one is a thread discussing different adhesives...

Grille on 2005 Horizin loose-glue?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">about twenty threads down from this one is a thread discussing different adhesives </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rebelsbeach

Thanks for the vector to the thread ...I remembered reading about the generator access doors coming loose but didn't recall which forum I saw it on.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

No problem....looks like I got the pic in the signature,now to resize another one,upload it and swap it....sheesh that's big!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

AFCHAT thanks for the post, I will add the rear cap to my list of inspections for failing glued parts. So far I have had the engine access door, and the front fascia break loose. The front fascia seems to breaking loose in multipule places. I don't think this is an Ultimate issue, but is in fact a Winnebago issue as many other models are also affected.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

In looking at it yesterday I realized that it isn't really the tail cap ...unless you see the tail cap as two pieces. My tail cap actually ends below the engine compartment door. The piece under that could be called a very wide bumper I guess. It is a separate piece, and that is the piece that is coming unglued from the support pieces behind it.