Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Swinging bathroom door when driving

Our Vista 31BE has a bathroom door that is 45 degrees, and the door is hinged towards the center. When driving, it likes to swing open and hit the bunks. Even if I latch it securely, it will pop open. Right now, I'm putting a pillow down to keep it from swinging and hitting the bunk.

I've been trying to think of a solution. I can't put anything like a barrel bolt on because it needs to be opened from the bedroom (it's a passthrough bathroom). I thought about a deadbolt to replace the door handle, or even one of the old school spring loaded screen door latches. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check the alignment of the striker and latch. The door may have sagged putting it out of alignment or the latch could be sticking internally and in need of cleaning/lubrication or potentially replacing.

Is that a full passage set or just a dummy set with a spring loaded roller latch/striker? On the spring loaded roller latches/strikers you could have a weak spring which on the better ones is adjustable (you usually need to remove the striker mortised into the edge of the door and turn the adjuster inside it) while on others you will need to replace either the spring inside the latch/striker or the entire spring latch/striker which is mortised into the edge of the door.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Check the alignment of the striker and latch. The door may have sagged putting it out of alignment or the latch could be sticking internally and in need of cleaning/lubrication or potentially replacing.

Is that a full passage set or just a dummy set with a spring loaded roller latch/striker? On the spring loaded roller latches/strikers you could have a weak spring which on the better ones is adjustable (you usually need to remove the striker mortised into the edge of the door and turn the adjuster inside it) while on others you will need to replace either the spring inside the latch/striker or the entire spring latch/striker which is mortised into the edge of the door.
Thanks. It's a full passage set. If the coach is level, the door latches. When not, I have to pick up a bit. I'll see if I can lower the strikeplate a little.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Thanks. It's a full passage set. If the coach is level, the door latches. When not, I have to pick up a bit. I'll see if I can lower the strikeplate a little.
You may find the hinge screws a bit loose casing the door to sag however it is possible that the hinge itself has worn down. They sometimes use piano hinges made of a very mild steel that seem to wear down way too fast.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:10 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It is possible, that when driving the coach, the door frame moves just enough to widen where the striker plate is. And if all is aligned and works properly when parked, there won't be much you can do with the striker plate or hinges.

The best solution may be a temporary 'travel' strap with Velcro or snaps that hold the door shut when travelling, and not used when parked. Like your temporary 'pillow' solution, just a little neater.

Tags
door