Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Suspected Hydraulic Leak bedroom slideout

I have a 2001 Journey 36LD. The slideout in the bedroom (four-cylinder, rear wardrobe) is starting to retract itself albeit very slowly. Seems to do it more during the night than during the day. It appears there may be a leak in the hydraulic lines related to the synchronizing cylinder. I have read another thread about a similar issue on a different model but want to make sure I'm not projecting that problem as my problem. If there is a leak, would that potentially cause the slideout to retract on its own? Is there any resource out there for replacing the hose(s) that I can reference? Wasn't born mechanical but I am learning quickly how to fix things. Any thoughts?
FLVideoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

FLVideoguy,
Just got to this thread. For starters, you're gonna have to narrow your leak down. At present, I'm going to assume your bedroom slide is very similar to ours in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. And that is, it's an HWH dual ram driven slide, correct? There's a master ram and a slave ram on that bedroom slide. And yes, they're tied together with the equalizing ram. But, we've had our master ram leak twice. And it's one heck of a bear to get it out of there. Rebuilding it is about as simple as it gets. It's just getting it out of there that's a major chore.

But, I won't go into any of that unless you ask. And as stated, you need to clean things up a bit and narrow your leak down to a specific spot.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you discover it does have a leak, why not just pour some ATF Stop Leak in the tank?

I have owned a '02 Journey 36 with the Freightliner chassis and Cat 330 HP for two years now. My bedroom closet use to slowly retract. Doesn't seem to do it very often any more. And when it happens, it's only an inch or two instead of the 4 inches like would happen when I first moved in (full timer).

All I've done is use it more often then the PO.

My next move, if it starts happening more often or starts retracting further in, will be to add Stop Leak. No sense tearing up things unless there's a big problem.

My last RV had a bad leak from the right rear Jack. It would fill the landing pad practically every time I used it. Added stop leak and it greatly reduced. And then it stopped all together. The leak might restart but it wouldn't be as bad. I generally went two years before needing to add more Stop Leak. In the 12 years I owned that rig, the leak was just a 'minor' issue.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know if a leak would cause spontaneous retraction, but a visual inspection of the hoses and connections should quickly tell you if they're leaking. If so, it could be a leak in the hose itself, at the swage where the compression fitting is attached to the hose, or a loose compression fitting. It won't be a mystery, a hydraulic fluid leak under pressure makes quite a mess.

The easiest fix is a loose compression fitting. The others require hose replacement. I had two hoses replaced on the front slide of my 2002 Itasca 35U and just noticed that two more hoses are leaking at their swages. It's my understanding that some HWH hoses were defective in the early 2000s but based on my conversations with HWH, they are no longer offering free replacements. I suppose this is understandable after this many years.

HWH has some reference material at https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml44100bx_so.html

My personal preference is to replace leaking hoses with HWH hoses and not have new hoses made locally despite what others have done. I suppose it could also be your synchronizing cylinder. I don't know anything about the stop leak stuff, but I'd rather replace the leaking parts.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Destination

2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40WD. Usually this defect is caused by the bad hoses supplied to HWH/Winnebago in the early 2000's. I just replaced 4 rear slide out rams and 8 hoses for around $3000. Ouch !
Winnebago stopped covering this repair some years ago. The DPO ignored it even though he could have let Winnebago fix it for free !!
Nice One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

As I noted previously, I had my front slide hoses replaced but I still have a little leakage (much, much less than before) that's coming from the "rod end" of the synchronizing cylinder. Before I go to the expense of replacing it, contrary to my earlier comments, I'm considering trying the stop leak approach. If that fails, I'll try replacing the "O" ring. If that fails, I guess I'll have to replace the cylinder.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

My 1st post on this thread was back in Feb. and some things have happened since then. The big thing was that I made the mistake of taking my RV into the Winnebago Repair Service center in Forest City, Iowa with the request that they fix my bedroom slide that would occasionally retract a few inches while extended.

So they replaced the HWH solenoids and told me that the HAD to replace two at the same time. That was a lie, according to the info sheet they handed me after the work with all the other paperwork. The sheet was by HWH and said that they only needed to replace both solenoids DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD for my symptoms. That was long past. Either they just chose to ignore that, or they can't read. Didn't discover that myself until more than a month later.

And then, adding injury to insult, my bedroom slide drifts OUT when DRIVING!! Up to 4". But only the bottom. Now it Extends while driving Retracted. So they didn't fix a damn thing. Actually made it worse, and opposite of the problem I took it in for. Back in '16, I added Stop Leak as a preventative, and I'm sure I don't have an external leak. But I have an internal leak, and don't know where to start to fix it. I will not be taking it back to Winnie.

Any possible way that those bad hoses by HWH could have something to do with this???

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

And then, adding injury to insult, my bedroom slide drifts OUT when DRIVING!! Up to 4". But only the bottom. Now it Extends while driving Retracted. So they didn't fix a damn thing. Actually made it worse, and opposite of the problem I took it in for. Back in '16, I added Stop Leak as a preventative, and I'm sure I don't have an external leak. But I have an internal leak, and don't know where to start to fix it. I will not be taking it back to Winnie.

Any possible way that those bad hoses by HWH could have something to do with this???
Here's an old PRODUCT/SERVICE BULLETIN, sounds like the extend solenoid valve may be defective.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagnosing Slide-out Rooms.pdf (11.8 KB, 124 views)

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, leak, slide, slideout