Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Sumo Springs - rear or front & rear?

I have installed a Safe-Steer system on my rig and that really helps with the steering.

However, I don't like the sway when I go around curves, etc. The Sumo springs were highly recommended at the Winnebago Rally last year (by Bob Livingston), but I am not sure if installing a pair in the rear is sufficient or whether I should do front and rear.

Anyone with experience with Sumo Springs?

Joe
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have them on front and rear and love them. Well worth the money
Old 06-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Sumo

I have on front. Love them. Couldn't fit back.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Sumo

I put them on front/rear. Eliminated the sway. 24V View. I'm glad I did it. The wife loves the new ride. Also upgraded the rear shocks and larger anti sway bar.
jtham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Front and rear, made a difference in the handling. Next for us is anti-sway bars
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have front and rear installed on my 2016 View G. Helped with rocking and pushing from passing trucks. Highly recommend.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input - ordered sets for front and rear from Amazon this morning!
oldjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I ordered front and rear from Amazon yesterday for my 2015 Vista 27N. Hundreds cheaper than I could find elsewhere.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had them installed both front & rear. Enjoying the ride. Read a lot of postings before shelling out the money. After that, I had Hellwig anti-sway bars front & rear. Oh, forgot KONI Shocks were first upgrade before the springs. Enjoy the ride! ����
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:29 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I chose to go with Firestone airbags instead of the Sumo Springs. I wanted the ability to adjust the ride. When I asked my mechanic at the RV dealership about the Sumo Springs, he indicated they were having some customers complain the ride was too stiff. I see you ordered the Sumo Springs back in June. Curious what your opinion is about the ride after the install...
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I chose to go with Firestone airbags instead of the Sumo Springs. I wanted the ability to adjust the ride. When I asked my mechanic at the RV dealership about the Sumo Springs, he indicated they were having some customers complain the ride was too stiff. I see you ordered the Sumo Springs back in June. Curious what your opinion is about the ride after the install...
John,
Since I ordered my Sumo Springs in June I am responding although you didn't say whom you were asking. DW and I both like them. We think they control the ride great and we came from a 40' DP. Firm ride, certainly not like air on DP, but controlled the bounce and roll. Read my following post and the reply I get.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
I had them installed both front & rear. Enjoying the ride. Read a lot of postings before shelling out the money. After that, I had Hellwig anti-sway bars front & rear. Oh, forgot KONI Shocks were first upgrade before the springs. Enjoy the ride! ����
What benefit do you feel that you got out of the anti-sway bars after adding the Sumo Springs? I think the ride is fine with just the springs but maybe you have some additional experience we all need to know about. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thank you "RanchDog" for the reply. My response was actually directed toward the OP, but I truly appreciate your response. In your following post, you asked about the benefit of the anti-sway bars after adding the Sumo Springs. As I mentioned above, I chose to go with the air bags, and the anti-sway bars which added to the handling and stability of the RV, especially around curves, pulling out of driveways, and vehicles that pass by.

I went from a Class C to a Class A. The first thing I noticed driving the Class A was how much more affected the RV was to wind and road conditions. If I was to buy a similar RV in the future, I would ensure I had all the same suspension upgrades (air bags or Sumo Springs, anti-sway bars for front and rear, trac bar, and steering stabilizer).

Thanks!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

"RanchDog", I did an incremental suspension upgrade on my coach. First was the super-steer,Then in order,Cheap handling fix, rear track bar, front Sumo springs, rear additional sway bar, finally new shocks all the way around.

Each modification incrementally improved the handling. I don't get pushed around at all by trucks, crosswinds are more manageable, no more "white knuckle" driving. DW likes the smoother ride and the "no more rocking"

Mine is a F53 gasser chassis
Old 09-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I would like to comment on our experience. We have the Winnebago 2016 Istasca Sunstar F-53, V10 - 36.5 feet long, towing a Jeep Cherokee with the Roadmaster tow-bar; all of that to put perspective into the mix. Our first 10,000 miles of ownership - I can never forget the scary; but also comical time we had with deep-swaying. We needed fuel and as many of you Gas RV owners Towing know, one cannot simply pick any station, especially when 58 feet of RV and toad is behind you. It was in Palm Springs, CA my wife and I spotted a Chevron with easy access outside pumps and a simple exit driveway going back out to the road. Pulling in to the station, I cut too sharp and hit the curb. The kids were in their stacked bunks, the RV began to sway like a boat in heavy seas, violently left - right and back again making horrible noise to such a degree; I literally thought it was going to fall over. My teenager daughter in the top bunk held on for dear life and thought she was going to fall out onto the floor! When the swaying subsided, we all had a laugh (as soon as my heart stopped beating so hard) and we carried on. The next week, I had a full set - front and back of Sumo Springs installed as well as the Blue Ox True Center system. From there - we've never looked back. 29,000 miles now and never a repeat of the above. The true center is great for the windy roads through Texas and Oklahoma, or big trucks passing us. I also do not have to worry about tire blow outs. The Sumo Springs are a bit stiff; but for us that is a comfort. I do not need the calm ease of a Cadillac preferring peace of mind the sway will not come back.
bangkokbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've considered sumosprings on my rig but really don't need the ride any stiffer. I am trying to soften the ride and would hate to spend the time and money on them to have a bad result. I installed Koni's last year and that helped a little with the sway but made the ride rougher. My new tires helped soften the ride a little. My next job is poly swaybar bushings and CHF front and rear. I have everything ready just need to find the time to do it. One thing I will say is my MH tracks straight and sway from trucks is not an issue. I thought about a steering stabilizer for blowouts like safe t steer but I just don't experience the white knuckle driving people complain about. No idea why. I can let go of the wheel and it goes straight down the highway. I'm driving a 33 footer on a 22k chassis.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Like some others, I made suspension mods after feeling the coach just might roll over coming in and out of driveways. Began with SuperSteer track bar, then added 1-3/4" sway bar to rear and replaced front with same. Added Koni FSD shocks. Frankly, the improvement was huge. Still, we had some significant jounce on our poorly mainteined Bay Area highways in CA when I learned of SumoSprings. Though we have an 18K F53 chassis for our 29R, I ended up ordering Sumo Maxims for front and rear for a 22K (SSF-180-40-1/SSR-180-54-1). The improvement and elimination of the horrid jounce was amazing. Yes, a little stiffer, but much more solid and quieter ride over rough roads. We just returned from 8,000 mile trip along the Alcan Highway (where you quickly learn about Frosties) and would certainly make these mods again. If you're comfortable with tools, you can make the install yourself in about 3-4 hours.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjoe View Post
I have installed a Safe-Steer system on my rig and that really helps with the steering.

However, I don't like the sway when I go around curves, etc. The Sumo springs were highly recommended at the Winnebago Rally last year (by Bob Livingston), but I am not sure if installing a pair in the rear is sufficient or whether I should do front and rear.

Anyone with experience with Sumo Springs?

Joe
I have installed both and what a difference in handling and the ride!
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone tried super steers koni quad shock install on their Winnebago?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #20
2016 View 24J Profile

Anyone care to comment on the various models of Sumosprings available. Have looked at SSR-338-54, SSR-338-47 and SSR-180-54 all of them fit the rear of Sprinter 3500 chassis but at significantly different prices.
It appears that the largest gain in preventing body roll and increasing stability is with the rear springs.
AlanO is offline   Reply With Quote