Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My furnace (SF42) operates itermittantly as it will heat the MoHo and then on the next cycle will not operate, blows cold air and goes off. I will turn it off and then start it again and it will then work (maybe). Any ideas as to what the problem is before I call repair again? Could it be a bad board?

Nick Journey '01
Old 01-23-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My furnace (SF42) operates itermittantly as it will heat the MoHo and then on the next cycle will not operate, blows cold air and goes off. I will turn it off and then start it again and it will then work (maybe). Any ideas as to what the problem is before I call repair again? Could it be a bad board?

Nick Journey '01
Old 01-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

in my first motorhome that old style thermostat non digital was the problem. Went to walmart and purchased a digital battery operated and it solved the problem...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A defective high limit switch could be at fault.
They usually seem to just fail and keep the furnace from igniting, but could be intermittently bad I would think.
If the furnace like the two I have had, it should be pretty easy to remove.
The high limit switch is a round metal device maybe 3/4 inch in diameter and can be seen when the furnace is removed from the plenum housing. On mine that required removing one screw, disconnecting the propane line and then sliding the furnace out.
The switch should show zero ohms when not subjected to an over temp situation. If it's intermittent then it might be best to just replace it. The one I bought cost $10 or less as I recall.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Another possibility is the sail switch (detects air flow) or a bad circuit board.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had a problem which showed similar issues in my previous Vectra. It turned out to be a partially blocked gas nozzle.

The other responses you have are equally as possible as what I experienced. Please don't think I'm trying to say they are wrong and I am correct.

I was able to repair this myself, it was that or wait about a week to have it done at $100 per hour. That is what they would charge for the repair NOT what I would get for the weeks wait!!!!

Good Luck,

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Try checking the trip arm on sail switch may be rubbng on blower housing, had this on my Suncruiser, causing same problems. Had to
remove switch and file some off housing. Has
work well now for over a yr.
dennis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I am not able to answer your question myself but you might try the link below to Bryant RV. Toward the bottom of the page you can find your furnace model and download the complete service manual. Hope this helps.

Bryant RV Link
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

All of the trouble shooting suggestions make sense to me. With the info I've received I did call Suburban and they agreed that all are possible: limit switch, sail switch, faulty board, air flow blockage, etc.

I don't know what a board costs (the other parts are probably inexpensive) but I do know that labor in this area (Las Vegas) is in excess of $100/hour. I checked the Camping World web site and a new heater is $600, perhaps I should just get a new heater as I've had this one fixed 4 times already.

Nick, Journey '01