Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I thought I'd start a thread with stuck MH. Any one have pics of some dumb things you've done.

This was in the desert near the Salton Sea, Ca. called Truckhaven where we go offroading. I thought I had found a new shortcut. Duh MH was 1 month old. An Explorer and a Ranger pulled me out.

Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I thought I'd start a thread with stuck MH. Any one have pics of some dumb things you've done.

This was in the desert near the Salton Sea, Ca. called Truckhaven where we go offroading. I thought I had found a new shortcut. Duh MH was 1 month old. An Explorer and a Ranger pulled me out.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

This what it looked like before we pulled it out.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I'm not the only one. This MH belongs to a friend who is a CHP. I thought he was about to shoot the MH.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
This what it looked like before we pulled it out.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't really look too bad; was it just a large hole in the road? Was the MH actually stuck, as in couldn't move, or in a low spot and you didn't want to move it due to possible damage?
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ummmmm.....

(Disclaimer: This ain't me )

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I was actually towing my rig when I got stuck. The tires started spinng and then it wouldn't budge. My rear leveler crossbar was dragging. I think I could of seesawed out but one thing you learn offroading is when in doubt back off.

I preferred to be pulled out then go foward. When I got under to check for damage I found the bent leveler crossbar. Took it to my mech and he said leave it alone. It wasn't that bad.

Tom
Old 07-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Ummmmm.....

(Disclaimer: This ain't me ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can see the driver inside banging his head on the steering wheel.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

No, that his WIFE slamming his head against the steering wheel....

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

lol I thought that thing on his head was his hat.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

No, it's a hammer....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Kinda repressing now (OK, VERY depressing when I think of it, actually), but as kids living in S Florida some of our fun past-times was to go hang-out at the boatramps and watch tourists back their boats (and cars) into the lake. There was usually a coat of slime/seaweed on the ramp right at the water's edge and once a car gets on that, that's all she wrote. We'd even have a running bet-pool as to who would or wouldn't get stuck, and I made a lot of candy-money. That, and then going to help them pull the car out (...see, told ya it's depressing to think of it now).

I don't have pics, but several years ago a friend drove his big Winnie Class C out into a nice smooth grassy field. Wasn't til he was quite a ways away from pavement that we noticed it kept going slower and slower. When I got out and looked, the ground/mud was now even with the running-boards/bumpers all the way round. Evidently, the soil would hold as long as he kept up a good pace, but slowly give way as he went slower. Looked like a giant planter-box. He found how much a big wrecker costs to come out about 25 miles on Easter-Sunday (we took up a collection for him, tho).

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Although we were not stuck in the mud or anything we did need a tow. The lift pump failed 125 miles outside of Whitehorse, Yukon. The tow bill was 1900$ canadian. Fortunately Cummins picked up the tab.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

WEll that Vectra sure looks pretty on that tow truck! We saw a kid who had borrowed daddy's new car and promply backed the car into the lake. He forgot and got to put the parking brake on and the vehicle slipped the rest of the way into the lake. Brand new car RUINED! I bet Daddy had a few words for him.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Ron, don't feel bad. When I was a kid we used to love hurricane season. We would gather at the roadsides where we knew the road would get flooded. There was always someone who thought they could make it across. Of course they would get stuck and we were more than glad to push them out........for a price. We got so good at it we could make a couple of hundred bucks a day. We would always charge first then push. Looking back I don't feel bad. I think we were just being creative. Kids don't do this now day. Most have it easier then my generation did.

Jim, Sue, what a coincidence my wife and I are leaving for Alaska June 29th. We're leaving from Carlsbad, Ca. and going in thru Washington. We plan to take 2 months. Can't wait. Hope the rest of the trip goes well.

Campernut, first time I took dads car out for spin, (without permission) I ended up stripping the gears racing one of my friends. It wasn't pretty when I got home, but I deserved it.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I should mention that the picture I posted of our Journey on the flat bed, not our Vectra happened last summer. I am sure towing prices have gone up.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, i guess i'll tell my story from last month. We have had a lot of rain recently in San Antonio, decided to go to the coast fishing, got everything packed up and ready to go. Said lets get the RV out of the back and on to the road before the grass gets too wet. Started backing up and hit the grass section, the ground was still soaked from the previous rains and the back end sunk to the axles. Spent the next three days jacking up the back, putting blocks and wood under the tires, running inside when the rain started again, going back out and jacking it up more, more blocks and wood, three days later it was finally level. Put more wood and blocks down going back into the backyard and finally drove it back onto the pad in the back. I am now in the process of getting a concrete drive from the road to the pad in the backyard.
1995Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #18

If you've never seen the movie 'The Long, Long Trailer' with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, there's a great scene involving getting 'stuck' but I won't spoil it...

""I Love Lucy" co-stars and real-life husband-and-wife team Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz star in this hilarious adaptation of Clinton Twiss's novel, following the high jinks of a newlywed couple who spend their honeymoon in a trailer. After making big plans to Colorado in their lemon-yellow trailer, it doesn't take long for Nicky (Arnaz) and Tacy (Ball) to realize that they'll be lucky if they make it to their final destination in one piece."
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Richard, you sound just like a the promo trailer for the movie. Did you memorize it

We have the movie in The MH and never get tired of watching it. My other favorite part besides the stuck is Lucy cooking in the back of the trailer while going down the road. Talk about a tossed salad.