Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stuck Slide

Our passenger side (Power Gear) slide stopped about 8" short of coming all the way in yesterday. Camping World sent out a tech but he was unable to correct the issue even after spending about two hours with Winnebago Tech Support. The tentative conclusion is a bad ground but that's not for sure. Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it?

David
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E (So far POS)

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Our passenger side (Power Gear) slide stopped about 8" short of coming all the way in yesterday. Camping World sent out a tech but he was unable to correct the issue even after spending about two hours with Winnebago Tech Support. The tentative conclusion is a bad ground but that's not for sure. Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it?

David
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E (So far POS)
Turns out one of the slide locks was slightly bent and was not retracting completely-once. Very mysterious since we've never used the locks because of all the bad reports we've heard about them.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have had lock problens; so we don't use them. We did have the front pass. slide not work properly. There is a reset button under the switch on the wall. A very good local tech got it working, but he didn't know why!

He call back a few days later (after a little research) and told me NEVER operate the slide without the engine running. 12K miles later all work fine and I always have the engine runnig when I move a slide.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
We have had lock problens; so we don't use them. We did have the front pass. slide not work properly. There is a reset button under the switch on the wall. A very good local tech got it working, but he didn't know why!

He call back a few days later (after a little research) and told me NEVER operate the slide without the engine running. 12K miles later all work fine and I always have the engine runnig when I move a slide.
X2 on engine running!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

David,
Are you going to the Texas Boomers Memorial Day rally? If so, look me up and I can tell you some horrifying stories on my big slide, and a story on my little slide, all caused by slide locks.

I am ever watch full now when I move the slides. I'm looking at the slide as it is coming in or going out with a swivel head to make sure that no side gets more than an inch or so off center. If it does I then switch to manual emergency mode and move the slide accordingly.

Since our slide lock problem a few years ago I also never use them any more.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Careful with NOT using the slide locks. IF you lose pressure in the system your slide will move while on the road. Believe me it happens. Not good.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I believe the problem here is with an electric slide system. So no hydraulic pressure to lose. There is a lock on the electric motor that keeps it from moving without power applied. I know because you have to dis-engage it to manually move the slide with a wrench. (actually a fairly easy process, but I don't want to have to do it again)

The slide locks are to keep the top of the slide from tipping out. I always set mine, but once the dealer didn't, I drove home, lots of curves and a couple of freeway exits with steep curves. The slide never budged. But I feel better with the lock engaged.

The manual says to only run the slide with the diesel engine running as the slide motors are powered off the chassis batteries. I have noticed that when bringing in the slides in the morning before travelling, sometimes I would have to rev the engine a little bit or I would get a low voltage warning light. But if I retracted the slide with shore power hooked up, but engine not running, I never got a low voltage light. Not sure what this means?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
David,
Are you going to the Texas Boomers Memorial Day rally? If so, look me up and I can tell you some horrifying stories on my big slide, and a story on my little slide, all caused by slide locks.

I am ever watch full now when I move the slides. I'm looking at the slide as it is coming in or going out with a swivel head to make sure that no side gets more than an inch or so off center. If it does I then switch to manual emergency mode and move the slide accordingly.

Since our slide lock problem a few years ago I also never use them any more.
Need to be in the midwest to see my 89 year-old mom so will not be able to attend the Memorial Day rally. We'll catch you on down the road.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

dlovitt, why is yours a POS? I think mine is great!!! Except for that "Stinking" KingDome!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
dlovitt, why is yours a POS? I think mine is great!!! Except for that "Stinking" KingDome!!!!!!
Don't think I ever said Meridian was a POS. Do agree about the King Dome, though.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Don't think I ever said Meridian was a POS. Do agree about the King Dome, though.
Check out your first post---the
"so far" comment. Just had me wondering
The King Dome will be on the way out soon. A Winegard Tvlr will make it's home on this thing. Haven't decided where to bury the corpse of the other "Critter" yet
The entire slide mechanism was replaced on mine. One gear had 4 teeth missing right down to the hub!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Replaced our KingDome last summer. The Traveler is absolutely great!

The KingDome worked well for us, except we had a dual input Dish receiver, and only had one feed available from the KingDome. So watching one channel worked, but recording on a schedule was always a challenge at best.

With the Traveler, we park, we level, we hit the power button, it searches, locks on to all three satellites, while I go about getting the slides out. And we are back in business with both feeds to the receiver.

I set up the old KingDome to work as a ground mounted dish in case we were parked under trees. As I was testing my setup, another RV'r from across the way came by, asked what I was doing. I showed him how it worked, and he decided to buy my old dome to put on his older RV. He only needed a single input to his receiver, so all was good.

I then bought one of those little suitcase portable dish units as my emergency dish, but have never even unpacked in over the last year.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
POS was in reference to Redwood fiver we used to own.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
POS was in reference to Redwood fiver we used to own.
That sounds logical!

Tags
slide