Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Stuck Roof Vent

I have a 2015 Minnie Winnie 22R and the roof vent over the bathroom is stuck and the crank won't open it. In fact, it turns freely with no effect on the vent cover. Is this something that I have to bring to a repairer or is there a way to get it working right myself?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

First check and see if the crank handle is held on the shaft by a set screw or some other mechanism that can be tightened. You might have to go on the roof and lift up on the cover to see if it's 'glued' in place by a sticky gasket. The whole mechanism is replaceable, just look for the manufacturer or contact Winnebago.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You should be able to put it back together yourself. Going to take the screen off. 6 screws and then you can see whats going on. Not that complicated. Sounds like the thing came apart.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Is is a Magic Vent? If so, does it also open with a wall switch? The ones we have had need the crank to be pulled down to manually open them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	98589  
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the crank handle is held by a set screw. I tightened it, but the crank handle still turns freely. I think it is something that has to be accessed from the roof. There are four screws holding the screen section in place, but this vent also has a 12v fan in it.

I think it was "glued" by the gasket. My other two roof vents work okay.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Is is a Magic Vent? If so, does it also open with a wall switch? The ones we have had need the crank to be pulled down to manually open them.
No, it is not that kind.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
No, it is not that kind.
Darn, I was hoping it would be easy. We had an Minnie and now a Vectra and both were/are Magic Vents
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

ArmandV, what happens when you use the electric switch to open the vent?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

No electric switch, except for the fan.

I was just on the roof and the cover is shut tight and won't budge. I think a visit to a Winnebago repairer is in my future. Thanks, all!
Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

ArmandV Parts catalog said power vent, must mean the fan. Sounds like the cover is stuck to the seal. Try removing the two screws holding the arm gear. But sounds like someone overpowered it and broke the gear.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
No electric switch, except for the fan.

I was just on the roof and the cover is shut tight and won't budge. I think a visit to a Winnebago repairer is in my future. Thanks, all!
It sounds like the type that has a half round mechanism with a lever that lifts the cover. If that is what you have, I have had these strip out, they are pretty cheaply made. CW and most RV supply stores keep these in stock, fairly inexpensive and easy to change.

This is what we have in our 15 Cambria bath, the minute it gives me a problem I will be putting in a Fantastic Fan unit.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 25B and also have the occasional sticking problem. But my set screw has not loosened so all I do is rotate the handle in both directions and it will eventually open. Sometimes it feels like I will break it but it always releases.
H-12Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Stuck Roof Vent

My vent is also hard to open. It's like something sticky is on the seal, as once it comes free it opens easily. This is the exact system on my last RV and the mechanism was about $30 to replace and it's all done from inside the coach. But obviously the stickiness on the seal needs to be sorted otherwise the replacement mechanism will fail as well.

Just another job on the RV!

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Warranty item on a new coach that should be fixed for free. Fantastic recommends treating the sealing gasket with a non-sticky rubber lube such as a 303 and even gives out small packets at RV shows to help prevent Sticky Vent Syndrome.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Warranty item on a new coach that should be fixed for free. Fantastic recommends treating the sealing gasket with a non-sticky rubber lube such as a 303 and even gives out small packets at RV shows to help prevent Sticky Vent Syndrome.
Great idea! Thanks!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have the opposite problem. My knob is also stripped from the middle set screw but there is enough friction to allow me to open or close the vents. The problem I have is there is not enough friction to allow a tight crank-down to keep the vent shut if the wind catches it.

I have a screw driver bit that I use to close the vent tightly.

Another solution that I have not attempted yet would be to apply some silicon or glue to the screw and knob securing them tightly. Pipe tape may also work to tighten them up!
Cherokee-Gym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-Gym View Post
I have the opposite problem. My knob is also stripped from the middle set screw but there is enough friction to allow me to open or close the vents. The problem I have is there is not enough friction to allow a tight crank-down to keep the vent shut if the wind catches it.

I have a screw driver bit that I use to close the vent tightly.

Another solution that I have not attempted yet would be to apply some silicon or glue to the screw and knob securing them tightly. Pipe tape may also work to tighten them up!
Silicon has little or no gluing properties. A new knob is easily found on the interwebs, just measure the shaft diameter, shape, and start looking.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I am a little over a week away from getting the vent fixed. Does anyone know the procedure of getting the repairs done under Winnebago's warranty? It will be done at an authorized repairer.

I have emailed Winnebago (after calling this morning and finding their office is closed) with the details of the problem and will follow-up with a phone call on Monday.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

You shouldn't have to contact Winnebago, if you're going to an authorized repair shop - they'll handle that. Have you taken off that screw and the knob/crank it holds in place? Your problem is that the splines in the handle or the splines on the crank mechanism (or both) are stripped. The vent cover is stuck to the seal on the housing and someone tried to "unstick" it and splines were stripped. The vent covers on my Spirit like to stick also. These vent covers are the worst I've had on any of the RVs I've had over the years. It almost seems that if you just look at them they'll crack. I always wanted to install MaxxAirs on previous RVs, but never got around to it. I (out of necessity) installed them over all four of my roof vents, over a year ago.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Progress Report #1

I bought in the RV to the shop on September 2. They inspected the problem and fixed a couple of minor things to my satisfaction. On the roof vent, they contacted Winnebago and Winnebago is authorizing the warranty repair to the crank mechanism and getting the vent open, etc.

Now comes the fun part. Parts were ordered from Winnebago on September 4 and, two weeks later, they still haven't arrived. I was told this today as I am leaving for 9 days in Japan on October 10 and was checking the status.

So, we continue to wait.

To be continued.

Tags
roof, vent