Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stuck Jack, HWH Tech Says Drive off of it...

Well my jack is stuck and I cant get it up. I called HWH asking if there was an emergency release of a jack but the lady simply said "Our tech says drive off of it." the problem is that I dont want to tip my Rv or damage anything... Is this sound advice? It seems like a bad idea to me...
Richdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Only bad things can happen, IMHO.

Your manual should tell you which solenoid controls your stuck jack. Back off the T nut to bleed pressure.

If it is stuck in mud, then digging it out should free it.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I would not drive it off I cant believe that's the advise they gave you. I wouldn't know what do either but I would not drive it off.
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdash View Post
Well my jack is stuck and I cant get it up. I called HWH asking if there was an emergency release of a jack but the lady simply said "Our tech says drive off of it." the problem is that I dont want to tip my Rv or damage anything... Is this sound advice? It seems like a bad idea to me...
Frankly, I can't believe anybody at HWH would even say such a thing they must be desperate to sell parts

As DC above suggested, release the pressure and use a lever to pry it up, if necessary, but don't expect it to go up after you bend the tube by moving the coach.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I would absolutely NOT drive off it. What would happen if you did? You would bend the shaft (thus requiring an expensive repacement - think $400 to $800 - and then have a jack shaft dragging on the ground. You would not be able to back up, without tearing something else up. Please, don't do it.

What can you do? Explain a little more your situation. Are the other jacks up? Have you checked the fluid in the reservoir? What are your indicator lights saying? Which jack is it?

Get a piece of lumber, 1x2 or 2x4, about 6 feet long. Use a rock or brick for a fulcrum, and push it up (with engine running and pump running, and switches in retract position).

Let us know what happens.

thanks.

GL Arnold
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have HWH flip-down hydraulic jacks you can simply drive off of them. You can drive off either foward or reverse. The springs will bring up the flip up jack.

I actually did this with my 1994 Vectra with HWH automatic jacks that flipped up.

HWH made 2 styles of hydraulic jacks. Straight up spring retraction and flip up spring retraction.

HWH Straight-Acting/ Pivoting, Power-Extend/Spring-Retract Jacks

HWH Straight-Acting, Power-Extend/Spring-Retract Jacks

Which system do you have?????????????????

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Tom. That's good to know. Guess I've never had the flip up. My comments would apply only to the vertical one.

GL Arnold
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the flip up's and i ended up driving off. IT was sort of violent but it did the trick. The main issue was that i was on quite a slope and the stuck jack was on the high point making me really out of level and lean quite a bit. I was at at least 6.5-7 degrees to the left. I am a rookie but that sort of lean scared me. I had to stand on the side it was leaning to adjust. I suppose that will go on the laundry list of issues to address! two trouble codes just popped with an ses and the generator is having issues too! Ugh, not even a single trip yet just sitting in the drive way with all these issues! TY as always with your responses! they are fantastic!
Richdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

A last resort for "Straight Acting Hydraulic Pressure Extend, Spring Retract Jacks" is to "crack" or loosen the hydraulic line for the affected jack at the pump manifold and bleed off the pressure if turning the "T" handle or backing off the small nut on the related solenoid does not do the trick. Makes a bit of a mess, but it works. Rags or a small catch container minimize the mess.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh