Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
LnG
Winnebago Camper

Stuck in RV park recommendations please

I am stuck just outside Shreveport Louisiana with no hydraulics. Just got off the phone with HWH, no help at all. They say hydraulic lines are put in by Winnebago. Tech asked how many slides I have, told him 3. He asked for serial number then tells me I have 4 according to my SN. Plus he has no idea about routing or hose length. Anyhow I have spent the last week trying to find anyplace that would fix the leak with no success. Local Camping World gave me a number of a tech in Tennessee, NOT helpful! other local RV dealers won't touch it, neither will any of the mobile techs I have found. Please if anyone has any idea where I can find a mechanic that help or fix let me know.
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You may want to also post your question here if you haven't already;

MH-General Discussions & Problems - iRV2 Forums
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This may help ID your hoses, part numbers, etc:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html

If you can tell which hose is leaking, the HWH part number should be on a white sleeve at both ends of the hose.

Also, pm azpete, who's a member of winnieowners.com. He works for HWH and has been a great help to me and others.

I assume you've searched the HWH service center list, but just in case:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml41023f2.html#LOUISIANA

Also, you might want to contact local hydraulic shops. I'd think someone could help you out.

If your slides are out, they can be manually retracted so you can travel. Instructions are in your MH manual. If you don't have one, check here:

https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...tormanuals.php
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
1 - have you check the fluid level in the hydraulic tank? the tank is usually located under the hood in the engine compartment.

2 - is there any evidence of leaking under the coach or in your storage compartments..anything that would give you an idea of where the leak(s) might be? you might have to completely empty your compartments to do a thorough check.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

With the info in your other thread, you ought to be able to go to any reputable hydraulics shop and get a hose made. Parker Hose is a very common and not unique to HWH or to motorhomes (unlike most of the other components in HWH systems). You might even try a farm/fleet type place, Northern Industrial, Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc. they may have the right parts and dies for series 58 hose. Tractor/farm folks have lots of hydraulics stuff that they need to keep running.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If nothing is moving, then go to the heart of the system, the pump and the controls.
When you push a button, can you hear or feel the pump working? If you aren't sure, crack a line.......carefully, then turn something ON and watch for seeping fluid.

Is the fluid up to where it should be in the reservoir? If not, fill it, then find the leak.

My experiences with HWH were good. Can you get them to provide you with a troubleshooting check list?
Old 01-23-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We blew a hole in one of the hydraulic solenoids for a slideout. Everyone said that it would take a week to get replacements... we waited until we got to Phoenix and the RV shop put a new one in... they had one in stock... Okay as it turns out it was the wrong one but it worked until we got home 5 months later and got . On another trip we blew a hose... for that we called up a mobile truck repair and he made up a new hose for us in a few hours back at his shop. Any large truck repair place probably knows of a mobile unit that can come to you if your stuck. And if you show him the hose they will be able to get you one as good or better.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Is the pump producing too much pressure? Or has a pressure reducing valve failed?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Premier RV Inc, Scott Louisiana

Call:

Billy Thibodeau at 337-233-7494. He is a way from you near Lafayette, but he knows his stuff and might be able to help.
Husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

almost all NAPA stores can manufacture a hose whether it be high or medium pressure......bring in the damaged hose or if you know the size, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 inch and the approx. length they can fabricate the hose.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

First thing, is it a hose or connector leaking, or is it the pump? That needs to be determined first.

My leveler hydraulic lines developed bubbles. The system continued to work, but obviously a repair needed to be made. I asked around, no dealers wanted to try fixing it, nor Freightliner. We knew we were going to visit Winnebago the next year, so we had them fix it.

They had the right hoses, took them very little time to make the fix. I would suggest you call Winnebago if you need replacement hoses. Then find a mobile RV Tech who is willing to make the fix. It isn't that technically difficult to do. But sounds daunting.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Before the OP or anyone else can do anything to fix this, the leaking hose needs to be identified. This isn't difficult if the leak is at either end, if there's a rupture in the middle somewhere, hidden from view, this is more difficult.

One idea I had was, to first pressurize the system, jacks and slides and let it sit for awhile. Then, for each hose that possibly might be leaking, carefully (wearing safety glasses) back off it's mounting nut at an accessible end (just a little). This is much like bleeding a brake line in our younger days.
I may be wrong but, logically, the offending hose should have a much slower and a more gentle fluid flow oozing out due to the leak having relieved the pressure. HWH hoses have a white band at the end with a part number. If it's faded, take a cell phone photo and adjust the contrast until it's readable.

In order for this to work he may need to top off his fluid if he's run it for a significant amount of time with a leak.

Once the part number has been identified, it can be ordered from HWH directly, no need to have Winnebago act as a middleman.

The OP has four active threads on this topic on Winnieowners.com and hasn't commented in a while so I don't know if we're all wasting our time or not, but I'll give it this one more shot before I give up on him.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #13
04 Meridian 36G dp

Marv, 04 36' Meridian

I have HWH slide system. Last year a hydraulic hose fiting at the rear slide was leaking . I had slack at the cylinder end so un screwed it and brought the end down to where I could see the problem. Stress at the fitting caused a split. I cut off the fitting and took it to Parker hydraulics in Phoenix. The hose & fitting were 1/8". They didn't have the fitting but knew of another shop that did with a field mechanic that had the compression tool and he came to the RV park and installed it.

I needed to top off the fluid then all was good.
marv h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Is the OP still stuck? It has been over a week!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 AM   #15
LnG
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for your efforts BUT I have a ruptured hose NOT a leak. It pumps out fluid as fast as you can add it. I know where the rupture is but it's in a place where you can not see or feel it. Winnebago and Camping World have been no help. I have had 3 men from 2 different mobile services walk away scratching their head. One of the techs had Winnebago tech on phone while working on it and I'm still stuck. Today I'm going to try manually closing everything up so I can drive. The plan is to continue on to Florida where I have a date with Camping World who says they are confident they can fix it. Wish me good luck!
LnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Good Luck!

Travel Safe.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote