Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The dip stick in my C7 engine has a mind of it's own. When I remove it to check the oil level I have a devil of a time getting it back in. I have to twist, turn and push to get it back in. It seems like it get stuck on some part of the tube leading back to the oil pan. Anyone else have this problem and did you come up with a solution?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The dip stick in my C7 engine has a mind of it's own. When I remove it to check the oil level I have a devil of a time getting it back in. I have to twist, turn and push to get it back in. It seems like it get stuck on some part of the tube leading back to the oil pan. Anyone else have this problem and did you come up with a solution?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've also placed your post in the Caterpillar engine forum.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yup, I also have the same twisty/turny long journey down the dipstick tube. I'm not getting stuck on any portion of the tube but I do have to use two hands to get it down to the bottom. I deffinately have to clean the dipstick before putting it back. Not just to keep dirt out of the engine but to keep my hands clean too. It doesn't help when the dipstick is 4 feet long and twisted either. All I can say for the situation is, "patience my friend".
Happy trails,

AKBrick
Old 06-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Jcous ...

I used to have extreme difficulty getting the dip stick back in ...

I now pay more attention to the "attitude" of the handle as I pull it out ... I find it goes back in easier if I try to match that "attitude" in reverse order ...

I have also gained confidence that my engine uses almost no oil (60,000 + miles) and check my oil much less frequently than I used to ... generally about every 1000 miles ...

As a side note, I came to the conclusion that my dipstick is probably one of those that are mismarked ... I used to lose about a quart of oil (from the slobber tube) every 2000 miles ... I now have the tech put in one quart less oil at oil changes ... the effect is that very little comes out of the slobber tube and onto my toad ... and there is only a drop or two on the ground when I am parked at a campsite ...

I have not added any oil between oil changes for the past 25,000 miles ...

I gleaned this information about my dipstick from two CAT seminars at GNR and a FMCA rally
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Skigramp, how much oil do you put in yer Cat at oil change time ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Jestme ...

I have it written down in my Winnebago manual ... it is in the storage shed ... about 5 miles away ... I won't be going there for about another 10 days .. I'll post it if my rememberer doesn't fail me ...
Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Same situation with our C7 and dipstick dipsy doo to reseat the dipstick. Appears to get hung up on the bottom of the tube itself where it enters the engine. A few pulls and pushes while adjusting the "attitude" of the handle seems to work.

I, like Skigramp use no oil between oil changes and it takes 18 1/2 to no more than 19 quarts for the oil and filter changes.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have the same dipstick issue, just have to be patient and go thru some gyrations with the stick.

Also, when I bought the unit new in Florida I checked the oil and it was full. Drove home to MO and found it down a couple of quarts that had been unceremoniously deposited on my toad. Recalibrated the dipstick per Brett Wolfe's instructions at 19 quarts and have not used a quart or soiled the Jeep since.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

So tell me, what is a slobber tube and where is it located? Is it the dipstick tube that slobbers if it is overfull?. I havn' had this problem before. Also I havn't had to add any oil since we bought it new in October of last year. We are bringing it in for an oil change and fuel filter change in August. So far we have approx. 7500 miles on it.

AKBrick
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

AKBrick, if your unit has one it is a black rubber tube, about 1 inch in diameter that vents the crankcase. On my MH it hangs down under the radiator exiting behind it. It is common to have a drop or two of oil drip off of it when parked.

CAT now has the Mist System that some MH's may have, thus they won't have a slobber tube.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

They use 20 quarts of oil in total for an oil change. That fills the new filter and the crankcase
Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem. The dipstick stops twice on the way down: First about 18" from the bottom and again about 6" from the bottom. I had to call my dealer the first time I checked the oil!
He said that all C-7's seem to have the problem and what USUALLY works is at the first stop twist the stick counter clockwise. At the second stop, about 6" out, pull the stick about 1" back out, then twist clockwise while pushing in. Works everytime for me.
Hall6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
jlr
Winnebago Watcher

Had the same problem. Tech replaced the small rubber hose between the oil pan and dip stick guide and the problem was resolved. jlr
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Ditto on my dipstick! What tec? was this a cat technician and was there a cost to change the rubber tube?

Oil capacity, according to cat depends on the oil pan. The flat pan that I have is rated for 19qt.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #16
jlr
Winnebago Watcher

It was done at the Fleetwood dealer in Island Lake Il. No charge but I was under warrenty.
I have also found that Cat only is responsible for the engines moving parts etc.. The cooling systems and others mounted outside the engine are the responsibility of the chassis manufacturer jlr
jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I did my own slobber tube using cheap drain PVC pieces from the hardware store. Been in place now two years and works great without any degradation form the road or oil.

I am having some excessive oil blow by problems recently. As a part of the diagnostic procedure they requested I get a "calibrated" oil change done by a CAT dealer. The procedure with change of filter turned out to be:
- add 17 quarts
- mark the dipstick as "full"
- run the engine
- should only need to add 2 quarts to get back to the "calibrated" full mark on the dipstick.

Found my dipstick was off by quite a bit.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote