Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Strapping down chairs at computer table

We love the computer table setup but there is no table leg to strap the chairs. Has anyone found an elegant solution? If we don't strap them they fall over when we drive.

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We strap our table chairs legs together with a bungee cord. This is the cord we use. bungee cords - Bing Images

Works great for us.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Mine folds so I just lay it on the bed.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Something that works for us - we take a couple of the pillows off the sofa and wedge them between the top of the chair seat and the bottom of table (one on each chair). Stops the tipping and keeps the chair at the table.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We don't secure them at all and they never seem to move. If they start to we will lie them on their backs on the floor. The tv cabinet wall blocks them from flying forward if we had an emergency stop. So far so good but we just got our rig 6 weeks ago so we haven't had much time to experiment.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

In our motorhome there is an "eye" on bottom of the table. We run the strap through that and cross over each chair, around the back and then connect the strap near the wall. This makes a figure 8 of sorts and keeps most of the strap to the wall side. It contacts the chair backs about 1/3 of the way down and isn't really noticible. I don't know whether I would consider it elegant or not...but it works well. We also have another "eye" at the bottom of the cabinet and have never used it. Personally, I would rather have the chairs secured while traveling...elegant or not.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On our MH, there is an eye built into the sides of the computer desk where the table slides out. I use a bunge cord, as suggested above -- secure it to the bottom rail on the chair coming up over the cushion and then to the eye -- this holds the chair very secure while we travel. Don't know if this would work for you or not but, does for us.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My '03 came with a velcro strap to secure both chairs (one leg each) to the table leg. That was easy to use, and worked pretty well although the chairs did swing outward around the table leg a few times. I got a bungee cord with plastic ends and put it around both front chair legs of both chairs and the table leg. That holds them in place, but it is a bit more difficult to put in place.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine have never fell over in the 10 years I have had it.
May be the smooth air ride XC chassis thing.
Or may be because the bottom of them have a U shape on the floor.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You say computer desk so I assume that is more like a credenza than a table? If so that is what I have as well. I lay the chairs (we have two only---bit I think you could stack four) on their back legs facing in front of the computer desk---then I have a nylon strap with connector which I loop over the back of the desk (there is room on our) and then around the chairs in front and clip and tighten. Solid--no movement during travel---can't move forward unless the entire desk does.

Anything lying on the bed in back is known as a intravehicle missle in our MH----

We used to have folding chairs which we laid down on the floor on the side of the bed facing the back wall and they were secure when we ran the slide in-----your chairs may fit there as well even if they do not fold.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
You say computer desk so I assume that is more like a credenza than a table? If so that is what I have as well. I lay the chairs (we have two only---bit I think you could stack four) on their back legs facing in front of the computer desk---then I have a nylon strap with connector which I loop over the back of the desk (there is room on our) and then around the chairs in front and clip and tighten. Solid--no movement during travel---can't move forward unless the entire desk does.

Anything lying on the bed in back is known as a intravehicle missle in our MH----

We used to have folding chairs which we laid down on the floor on the side of the bed facing the back wall and they were secure when we ran the slide in-----your chairs may fit there as well even if they do not fold.
I read my own response and I do not even understand what I am trying to say soo here it is again:

The chairs are placed on their backs perpendicular to the front of the desk. They fit in the area in front of the desk (the floor)that will move as the slide does when we run it in. The top of the backs of the chairs face left and right so the legs meet in the middle of the desk. The legs overlap a little. Then I run the strap behind the desk and accross the chairs in front and secure with a buckle--I pad where they need it.

Hope that is better---if you are the slightest interested in this soultion and do not quite get it then PM me------

Works for me---as they say.

Hope that is better-------
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We have two straps that are like seatbelt material with appropriate Velcro patches on each end. The first is wrapped around one chair leg above the horizontal rung, then around the other chair leg below its rung, and around the center table leg to connect the Velcro ends. The second strap is done the same way starting with the other chair so the two straps end up crisscrossed. We assumed that they came with the coach, but they may have been made by the previous owner.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hardy, we have a one piece galley table with two chairs, I believe it might be called the computer table set up. We had trouble with the chairs falling over when we first got the coach, had one galley drawer replaced because of damage.

I solved the problem with large cup hooks screwed into the base board behind the chairs on the side of the coach, and then secure with a bungee cord. Works great.

Later went a bit futher, purchased two leather office chairs, they go up an down and recline, they are on sale every so often for about $40.. We still use the bungee cords to secure, but the chairs are great for tv and make the coach more confortable in my opinion.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Just in case anyone else ever looks at this, the pillow solution is the easiest,fastest,most reliable, and easiest to undo that I have seen. Besides, my wonderful hubby (and best traveling companion in the world) can no longer complain about the plethora of throw pillows I have on sofa and bed. I use one larger and one smaller pillow, stuffed between the chair seat and the table bottom. The chairs don't move a bit, even on very windy mountain roads, and they are simple to remove for a lunch on the road.
Thanks once again to the best form an RVer could imagine.

BTW, we also tried a hook and strap, which works, but is so much more cumbersome!

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer