Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Strange thing happened extending the Jacks

I was attemping to level my rig (HWH system) and had some problems that required me extend and retract the Jacks in front three times in about a 10 minute span. Upon the last time down the Jacks would not stay in the extended position. I checked for leaks and found none. I retracted the jacks and checked the fuild level in the reservoir and did not need any fluids. I then just let the system rest for about 30 minutes, figured there may be an overload switch or a heat sensor somewhere for people like me running it up and down too much. After 30 minutes, the jacks went down and raised the rig as they normally do and stayed without any variances for a week.

I am only posting this to possibly be a help to someone else someday.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My experience may not be what Dunnpe had, but earlier this year our jacks and slides started working very slowly. We could not level or fully extend the slides. HWH tech said the "shuttle valve" was at fault. Ordered one - cost, maybe $40. (Not sure - papers are in the MH). By the time I got around to having it changed out everything was working again. I think there may have been a speck of crud that kept the valve from fully operating properly.

All has been fine since.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Dunnpe;

You did not say if your engine was running. I had that happen with my big slide after working the jacks 3 times. I was told it probably was a low voltage problem. After I let it sit for awhile the slide worked normally.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don, Thanks for the response but I always run trhe engine when I am using the leveling Jacks. I learned this a long time back thru this forum.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Every motorhome has a ghost. Some are just more active than others. Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not a ghost...they're gremlins!

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Since my coach has air bags, I was told to dump all the air from the air bags before putting down the jacks. If you then start the engine to put down the jacks, you also start putting air back into the air bags. Therefore, I always put my jacks down with the engine off after dumping the air.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I was told to dump all the air from the air bags before putting down the jacks. If you then start the engine to put down the jacks, you also start putting air back into the air bags.
My Winnie has a Spartan chassis rather than Freightliner but I suspect they are set up very similar. When I initiate the leveling jacks the air automatically dumps from the air bags. I always have the engine running when I extend the jacks and the slides, per recommendation of HWH (my leveling jacks mfg'er) at Winnebago GNR that doing so would be much easier on the batteries as the engine alternator would be providing the electrical power.

If I start the engine before retracting the jacks, the air bags do not inflate until after I start retracting the jacks.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
Fluid levels; engine batteries........... Shortly after purchasing my used DP, had problem with jacks not holding level after a day or two, and had one that would not fully retract without my pushing it up the last 1/4 inch. Fluid level was serviced (I had not checked them myself; shame on me) and now they work great. I am amazed however at how "weak" the charging logic/ circuits in so many coaches are for the engine batteries, especially knowing the drain caused by jacks and slides, plus the perpetual drain from CPUs; all connected to the engine/chassis batteries.
I guess I'm just blowing off some steam.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

The procedure for putting the jacks down in my Adventurer was the same as Pauls - since it had no air bags. I would run the engine while putting the jacks down. In the Journey that I have now, there is a separate DUMP button on the HWH console for dumping the air from the bags which should be done before putting the jacks down. If I start the engine while the jacks are down air bags will begin inflating.

Actually what I do when I am getting ready to leave, I will start the engine and hit the store jacks button - they lift off the ground in a few seconds and by the time they are stored, the air bags are inflated and we are ready to go.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Beller View Post
... In the Journey that I have now, there is a separate DUMP button on the HWH console for dumping the air from the bags which should be done before putting the jacks down. If I start the engine while the jacks are down air bags will begin inflating. ....
I think that you'll find that either pushing 'store' on the jacks or putting the transmission in gear will fill the air bags. Just starting the engine shouldn't do so, however.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
I think that you'll find that either pushing 'store' on the jacks or putting the transmission in gear will fill the air bags. Just starting the engine shouldn't do so, however.
I agree, the STORE switch not only causes the jacks to retract but also fills the bags. The other way to fill the bags is to engage the transmission and/or roll forward a few inches. For what it's worth, I also have an 05 Journey.

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSlayer View Post
I agree, the STORE switch not only causes the jacks to retract but also fills the bags. The other way to fill the bags is to engage the transmission and/or roll forward a few inches. For what it's worth, I also have an 05 Journey.
I discovered the following the hard way: After dumping the air on my HWH system the air bags will not inflate UNTIL you push the "Store" button. I parked my motorhome, dumped the air and left it for a few weeks without putting the jacks down. When I returned to drive it, I started the engine, waited util I had enough air for the brakes and drove off. It felt like I was riding on the rims because the coach was riding really rough! I stopped, got out and discovered the air bags had not inflated. Of course the first thing I think is that the system is faulty but after time thought about what I did differently this time around. I had not put the jacks down, therefore I did not have to push the "store" button to bring them up. That was the problem. I pushed "store" and immediately I felt the air bags beginning to inflate. Problem solved and I drove off normally.