Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Recently I had work done on the living room slide out. Some shims had fallen out of the rails. To reinstall shims they had to realign slide out. They also had to replace some hydraulic hose that were leaking.

I have never had any type of noise coming from the slide out. Now as I drive there seems to be a sort of flapping noise. It get's worse depending on wind direction. The noise is coming from the top of the slide right above and behind my head. In the vicinity of the first overhead cabinet.

At first I thought it was the slide topper but after checking it open and closed it seems ok. I then emptied out the overhead cabinet and noise continued. It's not the driver's door either. I have noticed that after the slide adjustment the lower bottom long rubber seal is starting to break in the center. There's a rubber piece hanging. Even if that made the noise it can't be THE noise because I hear it over my head.

Could over tightening the slide while aligning have some probability to be the culprit. It's really drives me crazy not able to pinpoint where it's coming from. One of the key attractions to my 33V had been how quiet it rode. Has anyone encountered this particular bug? I'm getting over pneumonia and have just been going over and over it in my head.

Can't wait to get out there and hunt this critter down. Any ideas will be welcomed.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Recently I had work done on the living room slide out. Some shims had fallen out of the rails. To reinstall shims they had to realign slide out. They also had to replace some hydraulic hose that were leaking.

I have never had any type of noise coming from the slide out. Now as I drive there seems to be a sort of flapping noise. It get's worse depending on wind direction. The noise is coming from the top of the slide right above and behind my head. In the vicinity of the first overhead cabinet.

At first I thought it was the slide topper but after checking it open and closed it seems ok. I then emptied out the overhead cabinet and noise continued. It's not the driver's door either. I have noticed that after the slide adjustment the lower bottom long rubber seal is starting to break in the center. There's a rubber piece hanging. Even if that made the noise it can't be THE noise because I hear it over my head.

Could over tightening the slide while aligning have some probability to be the culprit. It's really drives me crazy not able to pinpoint where it's coming from. One of the key attractions to my 33V had been how quiet it rode. Has anyone encountered this particular bug? I'm getting over pneumonia and have just been going over and over it in my head.

Can't wait to get out there and hunt this critter down. Any ideas will be welcomed.

Tom
Old 01-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

FAKRWEE: Just a shot in the dark, there are so many things it could be. I would try lubricating the top seal that butts against the coach wall and see if that changes anything. Just my 2 cents.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

About the flapping noise over your head while driving. It maybe that when they fixed your slide out they had to remove the awning cover on the roof and did not get it correctly tightend when they reinstalled it. I had an Adventure that with high winds and driving the awning would partly undwind and made the load flapping noise. Just an idea. Hope you find it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">a sort of flapping noise. It get's worse depending on wind direction. The noise is coming from the top of the slide right above and behind my head </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you have a window awning on the slide (not slide topper, but spring loaded awning over a window)? Your description is almost exactly what we experienced off and on until my DW finally noted the short end of the awning strap sometinmes flapping against the top edge of the window frame while driving. Wind direction, etc does change it. I found I was able to leave less strap to flap if I pull the strap toward one end while the awning is retracting, leaving just enough to get the awning hook into to get it back down.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Great ideas. Thanks.

1-Luricating seal. I was told to use baby powder which is what my dealer uses on rubber.

2-check the slide awning tension even though it looks tight.

3-Check strap on window awning.

Can't wait to get out there and start playing. Thanks.

Tom
Old 01-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

FAKRWEE: I was told by Winnebago to use corn starch on all the rubber seals. I have and have never had a problem with them. It does not attract dirt, much the same, I am sure, as baby powder
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote