Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Storage...slides in or out?

We park our coach under the house when not in use.
What are your thoughts. Leave the slide outs out or in when not in use.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I always stored with them in. Didn't see any good reason to leave them out.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

How long to store? Through the winter for several months? Or between uses, say for a month or so? If over the winter / long time - then I would close the slides. If between uses matter not - sometime I leave slides in, sometimes out. Depends on what I need to do outside/inside the coach in the way of maintenance or readiness prep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would never store outdoors with the slides open, but since you are covered, that is an option.

There is no significant reason for either open or closed if you are out of the weather. Yours is easier to access while in storage if you have the room.

One possible down side is your jacks are extended, So more of the jack is exposed. In my opinion hydraulic jacks a better protected if retracted.

Dan
Old 07-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
I would never store outdoors with the slides open, but since you are covered, that is an option.

There is no significant reason for either open or closed if you are out of the weather. Yours is easier to access while in storage if you have the room.

One possible down side is your jacks are extended, So more of the jack is exposed. In my opinion hydraulic jacks a better protected if retracted.

Dan
I'm level when under house so I don't even use the jacks. The coach does settle as the air leaks out. I figure the less I use the levelers the longer they last.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

When our coach is unloaded and parked, I need to get into the basement compartments often enough that I prefer to have the slides in. From your picture, slides in would also help prevent nesting over the slides by birds, bees, etc.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COH View Post
When our coach is unloaded and parked, I need to get into the basement compartments often enough that I prefer to have the slides in. From your picture, slides in would also help prevent nesting over the slides by birds, bees, etc.
That's a great point. I hadn't thought about birds nest etc.
we travel at least every 30 days but that's plenty time for a bird to roost.

Slides in for sure and easy access to storage to.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've always wondered why so many 5th Wheelers & Travel Trailer owners store their units long term with the slides out. Seems like asking for trouble.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We live in N. Arizona where it's always windy and dusty and park our coach in a three sided metal shelter type garage. We leave the slides out when we first get home home to clean then put them in. We find there is less dust that way is the only reason. Although it's always plugged in we also disconnect the batteries. For some reason on our coach the chassis battery will go dead in a few days even when plugged in.

2014 Itasca 32H
cdrprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrprn View Post
We live in N. Arizona where it's always windy and dusty and park our coach in a three sided metal shelter type garage. We leave the slides out when we first get home home to clean then put them in. We find there is less dust that way is the only reason. Although it's always plugged in we also disconnect the batteries. For some reason on our coach the chassis battery will go dead in a few days even when plugged in.

2014 Itasca 32H
I don't believe the chassis batteries are charged by shore power. There would be no need for switch for tempoary power connection. You prolly have something else sucking power, dash radio, CB ?? Etc.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Best to leave them closed when stored. You never know what can crawl in between those wiper seals.
Always disconnect the chassis battery unless you have a trickle-start installed.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

CD-ROM, your coach has a Battery Management System which will keep the coach and chassis batteries charged . BUT, if you use the battery disconnects the batteries will not charge.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Winnebago uses a Trik-L-Start that maintains both sets of batteries. However, if you leave the steps ON the Trik-L-Start cannot keep up with the constant current draw. The steps are operated at their extension and retraction by a current limiting (electronic) switch so there is a constant current being drawn. It only took a week or a little longer for my service battery voltage to drop to 11.2 volts. Once I found out about the steps and turned them off the batteries maintain charge. Also, as stated, you have to leave both battery disconnects in the on position for the Trik-L-Start to maintain the batteries.

Call the Winnebago Service Center and talk to a technician regarding you specific configuration. Ask questions.

Note: "Trik-L-Start" product may not be that particular brand but they do use some form of trickle charger.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I store with jacks down slides in and 1 air conditioner running set to 80. Slides in less volume to cool and easy access to storage. If I need to do work inside it takes less than a minute to open the slides.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I keep my closed when in storage.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, storage