Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I want to protect our new rig from sunlight when stored. The salesman said the day/night shades should always be left 'up' for storage, so the pleats don't come out. (This was ridiculed in another forum, I would like to know what this group thinks).

I'm also not sure if leaving the front curtain closed will cause it to lose pleats - plus, it doesn't really block the light, just reduces it.

How do you store your rig (outdoors)?
raskul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I want to protect our new rig from sunlight when stored. The salesman said the day/night shades should always be left 'up' for storage, so the pleats don't come out. (This was ridiculed in another forum, I would like to know what this group thinks).

I'm also not sure if leaving the front curtain closed will cause it to lose pleats - plus, it doesn't really block the light, just reduces it.

How do you store your rig (outdoors)?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Based on feedback I received from this forum I bought a whole unit cover that will protect the ext and int. UV Rays at >5000' will destroy paint and interior in a very short time. Now all I have to figure out is how to get the roof mounted Solar Panel to work while it is covered.
Frank O.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We store ours with shades down and front curtain closed. Haven't lost a pleat yet...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We store ours with the shades down and the front curtain closed also. We have had no problems with the pleats either.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by raskul:
I want to protect our new rig from sunlight when stored. The salesman said the day/night shades should always be left 'up' for storage, so the pleats don't come out. (This was ridiculed in another forum, I would like to know what this group thinks). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OK - Not so fast! If store your rig over a period of time the best thing you can do for your shades it to store them in the closed or raised position.

This will retain the pleats in the shades. The shades are prone to having the pleats fall out and they look very droopy and sloppy. Guaranteed you are not going to be pleased with the results.

That said you will have to buy automotive style windshield reflectors and fit them or tape them in place with the reflective side out. This is what we have done "when" we were storing the rig for extended periods of time (over the winter)

We now use our motor home frequently and the shades rarely stay in the same position for any length of time. They are "up" during the day and down at night.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Don't worry too much about losing the pleats by leaving the curtains down. The way to get the pleats back is to spray the curtains with a good quality laundry spray starch and leave them in the raised position for 24 hrs. (Operator Manual-Maintenance/storage section) I was worried until I came upon this section. I haven't use this system yet but have been told that it works. Good luck.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We leave ours down, have done so since new in 1999 and our pleats are still just fine.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We leave ours down while in storage, still have great pleats in shades of our 2001 Itasca.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I feel better about keeping the shades closed for storage. I will check my manual as well, it didn't occur to me there would be info about shades in there!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">best thing you can do for your shades it to store them in the closed or raised position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, now you got my brain itchin.. Im our house, we consider "raised" to be the OPEN position, down closed. "Close the blinds, Im going to change cloths".. must be er, uh... revealing to be your neighbor...

All seriousness aside, I ponder this issue, living in the sunny SW, interior UV damage can be an issue, but exposing the blinds(and their strings , to the full day sun is tough on them too.. What to do, what to do...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have a single piece full-width & height bubble foil (available at CW) that I cut to fit exactly in the windshield space. There are small Velcro squares on the 2 upper-ends that keep it perfectly set once rolled out. When in storage I install this, pull the black screens down on the side windows, and pull the curtains only across the side windows.

For the Day/Night, I alternate between Day being pulled down, then I pull night down the next time I go by to visit. All window shades are closed and they all keep their pleats..

BTW- The front foil makes for great insulation from either hot or cold.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote