Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Stone Guard

I'm looking for recommendations for a receiver mounted rock guard to protect my toad. I need one which will not interfere with my tow bar, chains, and electrical hookup. Who makes them? Cost? Reliability? Do they work?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have been using the "LeBra" for 3 years and it has done a good job. We travel about 9000 miles a year (last year an addtl 4000 miles with Alaska thrown in)
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Are you talking about the leather Bra "LeBra" that fits on the front of the vehicle?
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I guess I'm more interested in a broom type which would mount to the motorhome or preferably to the receiver hitch.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

My experience with the broom and the strip type was they still let the dinghy get chipped up.

This is what I found works the best...Protect-a-Tow

Ken
Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have been researching protectors off and on for five years. Protect-a-Tow seems to always get the best recommendations. Every time I get ready to buy, I reconsider as we have been towing six years and have not had the first damage (knock on wood). Of course, now that I said that, I will get damage tomorrow.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
My experience with the broom and the strip type was they still let the dinghy get chipped up.

This is what I found works the best...Protect-a-Tow

Ken
Have used the same Protect-a-Tow for 5 years and probably 30K miles behind 2 motorhomes. The dinghy still gets dirty but the Protect-a-Tow does it's job. The only thing I've had to fix on the Protect-a-Tow was the spacer rod. As it comes (or came 5 years ago) that spacer bar in the link picture is PVC with plastic hooks on the end to keep the Protect-a-Tow from sagging when you corner. It folds into 3 pieces with PVC couplers holding the pieces together. The PVC couplers broke and the second time that happened I just substituted light weight metal electrical conduit and couplers for the PVC.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I have been researching protectors off and on for five years. Protect-a-Tow seems to always get the best recommendations. Every time I get ready to buy, I reconsider as we have been towing six years and have not had the first damage (knock on wood). Of course, now that I said that, I will get damage tomorrow.

This has been my experience also. I've had no more damage (small chips in the paint of the front bumper) than friends who have the full mud flap. When I contacted Protect-a-Tow about using it with my Journey, I was told I could not use it because of the location of the exhaust pipe.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote