Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

When we are going up a grade and under a load our motorhome filled with stinky engine smells.
Either exhaust or burnt oil smells.
Anyone experience this??
Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Kirstcc - Welcome to the Winnie forum!

Have you had Freightliner recall SF352A done? And if so, have you verified it was done properly? I ask that because mine was done improperly and still let exhaust stink in the bedroom. The FL factory service center at Gaffney redid mine and no more stink.

If you're not familiar with it, that recall dealt with a connection in the exhaust line that allowed fumes to escape. If it gets into the bedroom and you're running the basement air, it would spread the stink throughout the coach.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Kirstcc: welcome to the forum . You've defintely come to the right place for help. You might want to look under the bed into the engine compartment and see if there is soot on the stainless flex pipe where it attaches near the exhaust brake. That is where mine leaked and I had the same symptoms you describe. The clamp failed at that spot allowing a leak. If you have someone replace the clamp, make sure they use good stainless steel clamps.

Check out the following thread for photos and my fix for the problem:

Journey Exhaust Leak
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It would be very helpfull if you added your rig information to your signature. In the mean time tell us what you are driving. The two anwsers assume that you have a diesel.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Kirstcc;

Welcome to the forum & the Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum. You have found the friendliest site on the Internet. You have come to the right place for answers. Post often and let us know how you fixed your problem. If you would like some Winnebago Karma, just ask.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses.
We just came back from a short trip and it was better but not 100%. We had just got it back from the dealer after they did what they thought was needed to fix it. They just kept sealing up any thing that looked like it needed to be sealed. Windows, vents,under the bed etc.
I'm very curious about that possible exhaust leak. Should we be able to feel engine heat in the bedroom? Oh , yes it is a diesel CAT C7 350HP, Journey 34H on a Freightliner Chasis.Thanks for all your info.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I don't think you would feel heat from the leak - just fumes. Recall SF352A may not apply to you, but since we have the same year and same engine, it seems very likely. If you are the original owner, you would have been notified. But, if you bought it used, the previous owner may have not had it done.

Call Freightliner customer service at 800-385-4357 . With the last 6 characters of your VIN, they can tell you if it applies, and if it has been done. Even if it's been done, be sure to check it because as I said above, mine was done improperly. Good luck....
Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tomsm,I am not the original owner, we just bought it. I will try to contact FL. Smlranger posted a picture, can this conection be seen from under the coach?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The problem that smlranger had is different and hopefully, you don't have that problem too. You might be able to see that area from below, but it's easier to see the exhaust brake area from under the bed.

For sure call Freightliner - they are good people and can tell you right away if the SF352A mod has been done. If it has not been done, it'll save you crawling underneath to check. If it has been done, ask them to describe what the repair should look like so you can check it. I don't trust my memory too much, but I know it involved 2 exhaust system pipes joined by a clamp. The clamp didn't do the job and allowed the joint to open. They are supposed to fully seat one pipe inside the other and then put 2 screws through the joint. My dealer didn't get the 2 pipes back together - they just ran the screws in and secured the joint in a partially open condition.

The service campaign (not actually a recall) has already ended. If the former owner didn't have it done, you MAY have to pay for it, but the only materials required are 2 screws, and even done correctly, it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. If it was botched, like mine, I'm sure Freightliner will cover it for you...

Here's a link to some other discussion of this mod.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Tom, I think I would rather do it myself anyways. Every time it goes in the dealer, its two to three weeks.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Kirstcc:

Once you remove the bed from the frame, check where the sheet metal engine cover is screwed onto the back wall of the coach. All of my screws were loose which created a slight air gap to the engine. Also, the closet side of the engine hatch, vertical with the night stand, a slight gap opened up and I could see a small amount of exhaust residue on the wallpaper. I resealed that area also.

While you have the bed off, open the hatch and make sure your high pressure AC freon line is secured up and out-of-the way of the turbo. My line was hanging free and the hose burned, during a summer trip of course, no AC.

Enjoy the coach and have fun doing topic searches.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Kirstcc - I have a 2004 Meridian that has had exhaust odor in the bedroom area since we purchased it new. A FL shop worked on the exhaust piping under the bed twice, replacing clamps and the stainless flexible hose each time. Winnebago at Forest City checked it for leaks into the bedroom claiming they sealed a hole leading into the utility compartment, and FL did the Service Bulletin on the exhaust clamp. Nothing helped. But as Gary stated just above, I also finally found a vertical opening by the night stand that showed up by catching the sunlight just right and by using a can of expanding foam weather sealant in the radiator compartment was able to help the odor more than any of the above fixes.
But as you stated, on a long hard slow pull, especially if the wind is in the right direction, there will still be a slight odor but not as bad as before. I even rented a 30,000 watt (I think) halogen lamp and crawled around underneith in the dark while the wife was inside the coach looking for a light gap.
You just have to keep looking.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice guys! I haven't been able to tinker with my motorhome yet, but I will check out both of those areas this weekend and keep you posted.
Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Well , I thought our problem went away but we went on a longer trip to Sedona , Arizona and it started running Hot up the grades and started stinking again. Has anyone else had overheating problems? It got to about 221 deg.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Likely your radiator needs to be cleaned to resolve your overheating problem. Spray with simple green, let set, then rinse.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Becks,

I will do that. I had taken it to the dealer and sugested that. They said they power washed the whole underneath. But I don't think they gave the radiator the proper attention. I will do it myself. Thanks again.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirstcc:
Thanks Becks,

I will do that. I had taken it to the dealer and sugested that. They said they power washed the whole underneath. But I don't think they gave the radiator the proper attention. I will do it myself. Thanks again.
Just a recommendation not to power wash the rad so as not to bend the fins. I remove the engine access covers under the bed, and soak everything (including the rad) with simple green in a garden sprayer. Then I spray the rad from the outside and get under the coach and try and spray what I can from that direction. Let it sit for about 15 mins, then wash from both inside and out with a garden hose. I remove the bedroom window screen and pull the hose thru the window....never spilled a drop on the carpet yet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote