Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sticking roll up door shade

Hello forum.... looking for advice how to rectify a sticking door shade... will not retract fully. I am hesitant to take out the 4 screws worrying the insides will spring out. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F45E0F70-C478-4487-8065-ECE32EAB19E0.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	171431  
flapwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I can't tell from the picture if the problem is due to telescoping of the shade and it's contacting the side of the frame but if that's it, I found a quick and easy fix to correct shade misalignment that I had with one of the front side shades: https://www.selectblinds.com/tech-ti...er-shades.html
Old 04-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

no... not telescoping... seems to be sticking inside.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ours could use some cleaning and lube as well, just wondering what the easiest method is for removing the screw covers.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ok.... fixed it... Popped out the 4 screw plugs with tip of steak knife. Unscrewed the 4 screws and squirted WD40 SILICONE into the ends on the inside. Now it literally shoots back up when released.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

keep in mind that WD 40, a magical liquid, does evaporate. So you probably cleaned up some gunked up dust and such in the roller. Hopefully your repair will work for a long time, but not, you may want to use a lubricant that leaves a waxy residue that will continue to lubricate (I use BoeShield for things like this)
Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
I fixed exactly the same issue by removing the screws holding the screen roller on and throwing the thing in the trash! Then I called MCD and ordered one from them. Two screws, anywhere convenient to put them and snap the shade into the clamps. Done, perfectly operational!!!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

WD40 Silicone lube

The WD40 silicone lube is not the same as the original WD40 (Water Displacement 40). The Silicone version should continue to lube without drying out.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2015 Itasca Cambria 27K and ran into the same issue. You can take out the four screws as the unit is one piece. I ordered a replacement from LichtsinnRV.com. Ask for David Straw and he can fix you up with the replacement. Extremely simple replacement.
dehnernc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapwing View Post
Hello forum.... looking for advice how to rectify a sticking door shade... will not retract fully. I am hesitant to take out the 4 screws worrying the insides will spring out. Photo attached.
I have the same shade but as a pull-up. Pop the covers off the screws and remove the shade. Disassemble the shade and clean it well. Setting the spring tension is easy to figure out if you need to reset it. Simply watch how the shade comes apart and reverse the process. I don't recall using any lube when I did mine. If you do, I recommend CRC Power Lube with PTFE. This is my favorite lube for most things, including the slides rack & pinion systems.
Old 12-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The doorshade on my 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N broke so I called Winnebago customer service. They stated that MCD Innovations is the manufacturer and I needed to contact them to request a replacement. MCD had no idea what I was talking about and I proceeded to spend over an hour on the phone explaining the issue. I even sent several pictures of the inner spring mechanism and they still could not identify it. They ended up suggesting several other possible manufacturers.

Normally Winnebago customer service is quite good but this particular experience was beyond frustrating.

Then I miraculously stumbled upon the above excellent post from dehnernc. Called LichtsinnRV and they immediately sent me a replacement shade, which arrived earlier today and it fits perfectly. LichtsinnRV has a new customer for life!
jdwhobrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I found taking it apart was a bit of shock as the inside did go "boinng" but it was not a fatal thing and just a bit of lube and rewind was all that was needed. Looking closer, there is a flat end on the right end of the inner metal piece and that is what controls the tension, so it was a bit tricky when first trying to put it back on the door as I found I needed to press from right to let and hold the end cap firmly to keep it from backing off and doing the "boing" thing again! There is probably some spec for how many times to turn the inside but playing with things works, too.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I found taking it apart was a bit of shock as the inside did go "boinng" but it was not a fatal thing and just a bit of lube and rewind was all that was needed. Looking closer, there is a flat end on the right end of the inner metal piece and that is what controls the tension, so it was a bit tricky when first trying to put it back on the door as I found I needed to press from right to let and hold the end cap firmly to keep it from backing off and doing the "boing" thing again! There is probably some spec for how many times to turn the inside but playing with things works, too.
Did similar with mine. Add very good cleaning of the shad material to that.

Tags
door