Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Steps

Have had no previous issues with our steps moving out or moving in on our 2013 View. Now it just chatters and doesn't extend or retract. Any thoughts?
AlSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yep, the gears are stripped. Happens if someone steps on the step if it's not fully extended. Take it apart and have a look.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSue View Post
Have had no previous issues with our steps moving out or moving in on our 2013 View. Now it just chatters and doesn't extend or retract. Any thoughts?
I agree with what Cooperhawk said. I had mine go bad about a year ago. The drive gears were stripped. A replacement unit for the motor/drive gear is available on Amazon for around $70. The motor and drive gear are one unit. You first have to confirm what series step that you have. Ours is a Series 32 which is probably what you have. The series number is found on a white sticker on the underside of the step. The replacement part is a Lippert Components 1101428 Motor and Screws (For Kwikee IMGL Step).

It's a fairly easy procedure. You'll have to manually pull the step out and put something under it to keep it extended while working on it. Take some pictures of the electrical connections and setup first for reference for hooking everything back up later. Disconnect the electrical connections. Remove old motor/gears and install new one. Remind oneself to never, never step on the step while it is moving (don't ask me how I know).

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo...onents+1101428
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160718_135833.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	169062  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Motor Step ID Guide and Replacement Parts.pdf (405.5 KB, 104 views)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I just had the motor go on my steps for the second time in four years. The motor was replaced last time by the dealership about two years ago. The most recent problem started with the steps would not extend, than they would extend, than finally they stopped working completely. I could hear a click when the door opened or closed, and the light under the step would go on, so I was pretty confident the motor was getting power and needed to be replaced.

My steps did not have a Kwikee label on them, but the motor did have a part number (300-1457) and the control board had a part number (1510000172). With a little research, I was able to determine I had the Kwikee Revolution steps. Ordered the motor online ($117 plus shipping) and installed it today. The steps now work fine.

In my case, the motor was held in place by two screws. It was a very simple installation. I'm definitely glad I took the time to do it myself. Saved at least $150-$200 by ordering the motor online and installing it myself.

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You do need to use white lithium to regularly lube the moving parts or you will destroy motors and gears in very short time. The previous owner of my coach was not very good at keeping up and had already replaced the steps a few times by they time I bought it 11 years ago. Since then with regular maintenance/lubrication I have not had to replace any part of them except the mats in 11 years now.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Do the gears for the steps have a place to lube them also?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerlee View Post
Do the gears for the steps have a place to lube them also?
Not really. My owner's manual (Series 32 IMGL step) does not include the gears as something to lubricate. The lubrication points diagram also does not show lubricating the gears. It does include the clevis pin and drive linkage ball (pivot ball) though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee electric step manual1422282.pdf (1.05 MB, 69 views)
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

When in doubt, follow the manual. It will explain what should be lubricated.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The step controller knows when its at the end of its travel by measuring how many amps the motor is drawing so if it has not be regularly lubricated it will many times see the high current draw from the moving parts being stuck and shut off. Many folks too often replace good steps that just need cleaning and lubricating when this happens.

To grease the gears you will have to pull the motor and disassemble the gear case. Do not use a Lithium or other conductive grease for this or it could short circuit the motor if it migrates into the windings.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

It is amazing to me that there are so many variations of the Kwiki Steps. aauummm's coach is the same as mine, one year difference. My steps indicate they are a series 10 but there is nothing to be found on that. It took a parts guy days to find my motor and it was pricey at 240. I think at that price, I will change out the whole step assembly next time. Meanwhile, I take great care to be patient and wait for the steps to fully extend before using. I also found this sticker on the assembly but it was of no help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	170061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step Model.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	170062  

Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #11
Old Dirt Biker

I just went through the whole stuck steps thing right after we bought our Winn/Itasca SunFlyer.

Most of the motors used on Kwikee steps are 70s and 80s Ford truck power window motors. You can usually cross the part number of your motor to the Ford unit, and then pay from $30-$50 for a new motor instead of the massively marked-up one from the dealer.

By the way, Kwikee was bought by another company located in Oregon. I don't remember the name of the company, but if you start looking online for Kiwkee parts you will be redirected to their website.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Old Dirt Biker

Oh, I forgot two things...

There will be a tag somewhere on your step assembly -- usually near the motor -- that says "Series XX". It eliminates a lot of guessing from looking at pictures of the 256 different variations there are of Kwikee steps.

If you check the price of a whole stair assembly, you won't be so anxious to buy one. Keep the linkage arm that moves the steps out well lubricated (check the manual for lube points), and make sure the wires a put out of the way so they can't be pinched. Also, buy or make one of the adjustable height braces that fit under the lower step when they are extended. When someone's weight is applied to that lowest step, there is a lot of leverage on the whole assembly.

If you're going to be parked overnight or longer, just extend the step and kill the power to it. Put the brace in place and adjust it up to the bottom of the step. If you think you might forget about the brace when you're ready to leave, put a piece of brightly colored tape over the power switch whenever the brace is employed.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and saw this thread...just replaced my Kwikee Revolution motor with a power window motor I got online for $36.00, can't see paying that amount for a motor that is made by the same company just because it has Winnebago attached to it!, Do some research and you'll find that most of motors are all made by the same company.

Brad
Charger1204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps