Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Steps

i have a 2006 Sightseer 29r i had a new chassis battery put and it went dead in 3 weeks took it back and was told to disconnect the battery using the knife switch because there was a load on it. I did that but i can't find the sequence to keep the steps in. any suggestions
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Where's the knife switch located? When I flip the steps switch, when I close the door, the steps go in and I can disconnect the batteries in the battery compartment.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Smile

the knife switch is located under the steps in the coach i tried with the door open and closed same result steps out someone said put a magnet on the door
Old 02-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
the knife switch is located under the steps in the coach i tried with the door open and closed same result steps out someone said put a magnet on the door
A magnet should work if the switch is closed with magnetic force applied. Just don't pinch magnet in the door when closing.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If I remember correctly, the battery disconnect switch is only for the house batteries on your coach. The Chassis battery does not have a disconnect switch. I may be wrong

But if it does not then that is why your Chassis battery continually goes dead. Other things to check are that the radio power switch is on the House batteries, not the chassis battery.
You may want to go as far as adding a battery cutout switch to the Chassis battery.
You can also add a trickle charger to the system to keep the chassis battery charged.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Steps may be a CHASSIS or HOUSE system, if HOUSE you will need to be inside, door closed, and then disconnect batteries, not always easy.

Alternative.. The Magnetic Reed switch is usually at the lower edge on the "latch" side of the screen door, the magnet (you can test with any feromagnetic metal) is in the lower "outer" corner of the screen, on the side, not bottom (a key that is attracted to a magnet will find it, or a compass)

A small magnet (Radio shack sells small magnets) or a Refrigerator magnet, or .. well I have a 25 pound "Fishing" magnet Will operate the switch, retract the steps, while you disconnect..

IF they are a HOUSE system, they will stay in

On my coach: FIrst there are two differen QUIKEE controllers One the switch follows the door (Door closed switch closed) the other is opposite the door (Door closed switch open).. Mine is the first

I wired a toggle switch across the magnetic reed switch. I flip the toggle and the controller THINKS the Door is closed.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The magnet works i put it on the back of the switch steps go in, flip knife switch on engine battery and push switch on house batteries everything is good

Tags
steps