Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Steps??

I give up! I read the owners manual back and forth and have not figured out how to keep the steps retracted with the door open. Other than shut off the chassis battery.

I have too much of a angle to my driveway and with it in the street it is scraping the heck out of it. The street is narrow and I can't move further to wards the center of the street. Am I missing a switch? Everything is about the steps extending, I don't want them to.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In my coach, there is a switch next to the entrance door labeled 'Steps'. I'm not sure I can keep them retracted though. They'll stay deployed if I flip that switch with them already deployed. Never tried it the other way.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Put a magnet on the sensor by the lower left of the screen door
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I like to keep the steps retracted when servicing the batteries. It makes it easier to stand on the ground and access the battery box without leaning over the steps.

The switch is next to the door under the porch light switch. Turning the switch off will keep the steps in place.either out or in EXCEPT - there is a feature called last out that overrides the feature that retracts the steps when the ignition key is on if you need to go back out with the engine running. Because of this feature it is necessary to turn the switch off, open the door (they will probably extend again), turn the switch back on, shut the door (steps will retract), turn off switch off. They shouild stay retracted now when you open the door.

A little complicated but works well once you get the hang of it.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There is no way on many motor homes to keep the steps in with the door open save, as you noticed, disconnecting the battery AS DESIGNED.

However: Some of us studied electronics and engineering back in our college days and where there is a problem.. Engineers likely have a solution.. NOTE: I only took 2 years of college (Plus one of Electroncis)

If you can locate the wires going to the door switch.. There are many places to find them.. Your step controller owner's/install manual should tell you at least one place.

Depending on the controller (And frankly I do not recall which one is which at this point, been half a dozen years) the door switch is either "Same as the door" (Closed when door closed) or opposite the door (Open when door is closed)

WARNING: KEEP CLEAR OF THE STEPS THEMSELVES, PINCH/CRUSH HAZARD!!

With the door closed. Find the wires to the door switch (Which by the way is often on the latch side of the door near the bottom) and cut one of the wires,, JUST ONE.

If the steps extend, then open is open and closed is closed

Take a lenth of 2-conductor wire (I used speaker wire) and join the two cut ends back together along with ONE conductor of the new wire.

Join the other conductor of the new wire to the other door switch wire, use good electrical practice (I soldered)

Run the new wire to a convieiente site where you can install a simple toggle switch.. Mine is below the regular switches, actually hidden in the carpet on the side of the step well... I set it so DOWN is "NORMAL" and up is "KEEP IN"

Note; if the steps do not go out when you cut the wire,,, Open the door... if the steps still remain in you have the right wire, now connecting them should extend the step.

In this case you extend both cut ends to the toggle.. And mount the toggle the other way up.

It is that simple.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all.

I was thinking of adding a switch but I like the idea of a magnet as well. I f the magnet does the trick for the few times I need it then that's the plan. If not then it is snip time. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
I like to keep the steps retracted when servicing the batteries. It makes it easier to stand on the ground and access the battery box without leaning over the steps.

The switch is next to the door under the porch light switch. Turning the switch off will keep the steps in place.either out or in EXCEPT - there is a feature called last out that overrides the feature that retracts the steps when the ignition key is on if you need to go back out with the engine running. Because of this feature it is necessary to turn the switch off, open the door (they will probably extend again), turn the switch back on, shut the door (steps will retract), turn off switch off. They should stay retracted now when you open the door.

That's what I do. No need to use magnets or cut wires.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

The switch you cite only works on OLD STYLE Kwikee controllers and one assumes some other models.. The new Kwikee controller there is no such switch. There is an "Override" switch (The old switch was called power) and it will keep them OUT, provided the engine is not running when you close the door... (or the key in accessory) but it will not hold them in.. Which is why I added the 2nd switch.. Sometimes I'm parked near a high curb and wish to keep them retracted for safety.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The magnet works real well. Especially for the number of times I need it.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post

The switch is next to the door under the porch light switch. Turning the switch off will keep the steps in place.either out or in EXCEPT - there is a feature called last out that overrides the feature that retracts the steps when the ignition key is on if you need to go back out with the engine running. Because of this feature it is necessary to turn the switch off, open the door (they will probably extend again), turn the switch back on, shut the door (steps will retract), turn off switch off. They shouild stay retracted now when you open the door.

X2 this is the recommended procedure for keeping the steps retracted. Again no need to reinvent the wheel when a relatively simple method of accomplishing what you desire has already been programed into the system