Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Steering control choice

I am going to install a steering control device and am leaning toward the Safe-T-Plus over the one by Blue Ox. Reason is it is simpler and less likely to give problems. I realize that adjusting the S-T-P is a little more time consuming but once adjusted it is pretty stable. The one by Blue Ox, besides being more money, has more moving parts and needs an electric circuit. Your thoughts.
Regards, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have not had the SafeTPlus, but did have a Steer Safe system (which worked well) on an earlier coach. On our current coach, I have the TruCenter from BlueOx and really like it. I have had the TruCenter for over a year and love the ability to "re-center" the steering based on crosswinds, or road crowns. I installed the TruCenter myself and found it reasonably easy to install. There are not many moving parts in the system and the electrical connections are very easy to connect.

For my money, the difference in price is worthwhile given the ability to adjust it while driving.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi moejean,
I have had a non-adjustable steering system and now I have an adjustable steering system (Howard Precision Steering System - no longer available). I will always have an adjustable steering system. For me, the difference is huge. Blue Ox is the system I would purchase, today. All that being said, it comes down to what your future travel looks like. If you are a weekend, every once and a while camper, the cheap route may be the way to go. However, if your about to do some distance driving over the next few years, really consider the Blue Ox system. This is not a commodity purchase. It is a one time purchase that will last for many years. Amortize the cost over the years you expect to keep the coach.

If you get the Blue-Ox I hope you'll post the results of traveling cross country and being hit with high cross winds all day long. Being able to re-centering the Blue Ox system, to compensate for the wind, will prove itself well worth the investment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Safe-T-Plus on our previous coach, a 2007 F53 based Hurricane, and it made a huge difference in how tired I was at the end of the day. It helped when 18 wheelers passed us and during high winds. I installed it myself and it was easy.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check out the Steer Safe website. It's a great product with no moving parts. I have had it on 2 rigs now..
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi Moe,
I'm very pleased with the performance of the Safe-T-Plus and posted last May how it worked when I had a front tire blowout. Here's the link.
I bought the Safe-T-Plus in 1999 and installed it on my 1999 Chieftain 34Y on a Ford chassis. I transferred the same unit to my 2004 Workhorse chassis and now have about 110,000 total miles with no sign of it wearing out or leaking.

I found it quite easy to make adjustments to fine tune it to your liking so it will compensate for the crown of the road.

Last month on my trip to the Quartzsite RV show, I had about 30 miles of strong crosswinds. When I hit the dust storm, the side wind was hitting 35-40 mph and the coach handled quite well. I slowed down to around 50 mph and I could see other motorhomes weaving a lot. Of course, the Koni FSD shocks help considerably too in these conditions.

I think you're choice of steering stabilizers also depends on how much $$$ you want to invest. Both are good products.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Steering control

Thank you for your replies. Do any of you have a good place to buy the "Steer Safe" on line?
Thanks, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I choose the Blue Ox for the exact reasons you are rejecting it.

However that was then... Read on.

My reasons were this. To adjust the Safe-T-Steer (then) you had to crawl under and use wrenches and a hammer. To adjust the blue-ox.. push a button for up to 30 seconds.

Now, normally, you are right, once set.. It is set. but if you get on a "High crown" road, or if there is a STEADY side wind.. it's nice to be able to re-adjust on the fly.

Today:

I believe the Safe-T-Steer now has an optional remote re-centering device, giving it the same adjustability of the Blue OX. Still I like the blue OX.

Now my original Blue ox froze up on me.. They replaced it (no charge) and the new one is.. Well.. better.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I got mine from camping world and really like it.
jsjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering