Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Steer Safe Stabilizer

We have a 1998 34' Chieftain and while driving down the road, my husband has to keep turning the wheel to keep the rig going straight. I wondered if anyone had put on the Steer Safe Stabilizer's to help this wandering problem.

Thanks. Mary Lou
Mary Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2008 Sightseer with a similar issue. After much research, we decided that sway bars were the answer. Took coach to a local spring place today for installation. Not a cheap project so I hope it works as advertised.

Before doing anything, have the front end checked for alignment and/or worn parts.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I did all the above on my 99 Monaco LaPalma and ended up putting on steer safe - best thing I ever did for the handling of the coach. Period!!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a mild case of the same thing on a E-450, had it aligned today, it is much better.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had a '96' Vectra that required constant steering corrections for front end "wandering". Steer Safe was an easy install and instantly corrected the problem.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had a 96 Adventure 33 ft. gas rig. I put the Steer Safe on after several years of fighting the cross winds and trucks pushing us as they passed. Wow what a difference it made. I actually installed it myself. The instructions were pretty easy, even for me. Do it, you won't regret it...
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had one on my 2000 Adventurer. When I bought my 08 Voyage, after driving it for the first 50 miles, the Steer-Safe went on. I wouldn't leave home without it
Old 06-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Steer Safe

Thanks so much for all of the input. I called Camping World and the fellow I spoke to said he did not think much of the Steer Safe. Said he went to school for them and it did not impress him. He recommended the Safe T Plus. He claimed it was a much better unit, course it is much more expensive. On the Steer Safe, he said it was right down in front and could get damaged quite easily and he has had complaints about this one. He has had no complaints about the Safe T Plus. Anybody have that one put on their rig. Would appreciate any input about the Safe T Plus. Thanks, Mary Lou
Old 06-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lou View Post
Thanks so much for all of the input. I called Camping World and the fellow I spoke to said he did not think much of the Steer Safe. Said he went to school for them and it did not impress him. He recommended the Safe T Plus. He claimed it was a much better unit, course it is much more expensive. On the Steer Safe, he said it was right down in front and could get damaged quite easily and he has had complaints about this one. He has had no complaints about the Safe T Plus. Anybody have that one put on their rig. Would appreciate any input about the Safe T Plus. Thanks, Mary Lou
Had just the opposite experience when I was looking for a stabilizer. I was told by the CW mganageer that even though the Steer Safe was less expensive it was much better than the Safe T Plus. Like I said before and as have suggested the Steer Safe is the better unit.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Of course they will tell you that. Just think of the profit margin! SteerSafe has been around for a long time. It is a simple and very effective system. I suggest you get on their website and call the factory. They are great folks.
As far as the hanging down comment, there is plenty of clearance.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lou View Post
For What It's Worth - More Stuff.....
Steer Safe:
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Unlike hydraulic shock absorber stabilizers that hook onto a vehicle's tie rod, Steer SafeŽ offers protection from the front wheels to the steering gear box. No extra steering effort is required -- thereby lessening driver fatigue. Maintenance is not required because Steer SafeŽ is equipped with Delrin bearings which never require servicing.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just had heavy duty sway bars put on our 2008 Sightseer. Although only drove about 10 miles noticed a big difference in handling not near as much sway. Expect to take a longer trip soon and will see if it helps with the steering issue.
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Mary Lou, I have learned to always be on guard when talking to sales people and their profits are the subject. I drove about 75,000 miles with the steer safe and not once had an issue. The device mounts with plenty of clearance. If one has damage to the device because of clearance then I suggest that they are driving their RV in an inappropriate manner in an inappropriate locale.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mary Lou,
I have a 96 Vectra 34' with steer safe, bought last year. helps alot. As a note, steering damper went bad recently, so more work to drive. Crappy air bag with push in connector went bad about two weeks ago. Replaced steering damper with a Bilstein unit and put in Timbren mounts instead of new air bags. Drove last night without needing hands on the wheel. It is driving that nice. Thought about going back and getting a drink, but others say that is bad.
One other thing, with front wheels off the ground, no power steering, turn wheel full in either direction, let off wheel and they go right back to center.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Mary Lou,
I recently bought an 04 Winnebago Journey 34H that seemed to bounce, and sway, and was very susceptible to crosswind. The problem was moderate and sometimes required extra concentration to stay in my lane especially when trucks were passing me. I first checked my front end alignment and it was found to be ok. After Safe T Plus was installed I did notice an improvement in the ride. The road bump feedback to the steering wheel was reduced and the crosswind susceptibility was also reduced but still present. Sway bars were not an option as Roadmaster had no sway bars for the 2004 Winnebago.
I later added Koni Shocks and air control valves both front and back. These provided the biggest improvement in ride. The ride was smoother, bumps were smoothed, front end kneeling on stop was gone, sway considerably reduced. Cross wind effects were greatly reduced but not eliminated.
Be sure to check alignment and check uneven tire wear, and also check if you need shocks.
Hope this helps.
jim & debbie and 2 cocker spaniels
04 Winnebago Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Well, Mary Lou, I'm curious. What system did you decide to use?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Safe Stabilizer

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. We decided to go with the Safe T Plus. It has not been put on yet as they have to order a bracket according to your rig. It should be in early next week. I will let everyone know how it works. It better be good for $700 + Thanks again. Mary Lou
Old 07-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Where is best place to by "steer Safe stabilizer" ?
Larry in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

call the company Steer Safe directly. They will ship you one. here is the link
www.steersafe.com
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
RKL
Winnebago Owner

steer safe stabilizer

Will the steer safe preform the same way as safe t plus if a tire blows...those who have a safe t plus say it preformed well in a blow out situation...no veering or loss of control...RKL