Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

starting problems update '04 Adventurer 35U

Hi, I have mysterious problem that I can’t find the solution and need help. My 2004 Adventurer 35U had a starting .problem. Even though I have a 50 amp drop that I installed a year ago to keep the coach plugged in.
When Irma hit we got the coach ready and took off to avoid it. On the road I started having starting problems, But was able to make it back home. I checked the starting battery and it was toast. So I purchased two new house batteries and the engine battery. Now that the hurricane season is upon us I decided to get the coach ready just in case. Tried to start the coach but all that happened was could hear the solenoid click and all thje dash lights would dim. So I decided it must be a faulty starter. Put some blocks under the front leveling jacks the get room to work and jacked up the front. Got starter out and took it to Autozone to check it out and it failed all the tests. But they had the starter in stock for my 8.1 engine. Purchased and installed it. Now when I try to start I get nothing, no dash lights, no click, Nothing! Does anyone have any ideas
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It could be a failed fusible link. I don't know where to tell you to look:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fusi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyes View Post
Hi, I have mysterious problem that I can’t find the solution and need help. My 2004 Adventurer 35U had a starting .problem. Even though I have a 50 amp drop that I installed a year ago to keep the coach plugged in.
When Irma hit we got the coach ready and took off to avoid it. On the road I started having starting problems, But was able to make it back home. I checked the starting battery and it was toast. So I purchased two new house batteries and the engine battery. Now that the hurricane season is upon us I decided to get the coach ready just in case. Tried to start the coach but all that happened was could hear the solenoid click and all thje dash lights would dim. So I decided it must be a faulty starter. Put some blocks under the front leveling jacks the get room to work and jacked up the front. Got starter out and took it to Autozone to check it out and it failed all the tests. But they had the starter in stock for my 8.1 engine. Purchased and installed it. Now when I try to start I get nothing, no dash lights, no click, Nothing! Does anyone have any ideas
Look at the last page of this drawing for your coach: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_177254.pdf
There are two solenoids. (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_146761.pdf) The one on the left is the one that fails most often.

Have you tried to operate your battery disconnect switches off and on a few times? I doubt it will work in your case (age of coach) but it is worth a try.
Use a meter at the solenoids. Try to ID the battery source voltage on each terminal, and the charging voltage source.
This can be a real pain. I know! Hope you find your problem. Please, keep asking questions.
Rick
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

thanks i was looking for the chassis picture. one question i have not been able to find anything that looks like a switch. just the push to reset buttons.or battery disconnect switch. I did notice that the 40 amp seems to be tripped but not sure it just sticks out a little more than the rest of the breakers but will not reset. if it is even blown.
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, adventurer