Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stair well cover

Have a Sightseer 35j any I looking for a stair well cover had one of my grandkids fall in it was not hurt but could have it has a mid rntry
Wyatt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
KJD
Winnebago Camper

Never heard of one for a mid entry. Might have to make one yourself. Some accidents just cannot be prevented to little ones though. What was the grand childing doing when they fell in the stair well??
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have one for our Alpine 36' side door, it looks to be 3/4" ply or so with carpet on it. I don't know how it was supported when new, the PO took the mounts out when he re-carpeted. I'm just going to put some 1x3 strips on the stairwell spaced so it's even on top if I ever put it back in.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

If not a stairwell cover, perhaps something like a baby gate could be made to work?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

How 'bout something as simple as a piece of 3/4" plywood, covered with carpet and hinged to one side or the other. You would simply fold it back on the hinge to use the stairs, or lay it down to cover them.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo Tom
How 'bout something as simple as a piece of 3/4" plywood, covered with carpet and hinged to one side or the other. You would simply fold it back on the hinge to use the stairs, or lay it down to cover them.
That's what I 'm doing right now. Just replaced floor with vinyl laminate and replace the capt chairs and recliner. The old one was on a pedistal. The new one is on a round base which allows us to move it around. Just going to put L brackers in the stairwell, use 3/4 plywood and cover with laminate. Now I can move the recliner there while camped. Can see the TV better and DW has more room behind her seat while traveling to reclind it all the way back
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The new one is on a round base which allows us to move it around.
Please do not drive around with an unattached seat.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm a bit crazy, just not stupid
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Please do not drive around with an unattached seat.
We had 2 unattached captains chairs in the livingroom portion of our old motorhome. Never had a problem with the at all.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hit a semi doing 50 mph, roll over or any other accident. What to you think will happen to those 2 unattached 100 lb chairs?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I must be pretty strong if those are 100 lbs! Honestly though... what happens to a lot of the attached stuff inside our motorhomes in either of those situations. We had a buddy that rolled his truck with camper shell... everything attached was no longer after that!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Hit a semi doing 50 mph, roll over or any other accident. What to you think will happen to those 2 unattached 100 lb chairs?
In a roll over at 50 MPH, the whole motorhome will like like a 200 foot long yard sale with a chassis laying around somewhere in the middle.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If you guys want projectiles the size of a chair in your MH, it's certainly ok with me. If it were just me and DW straped in the 2 capt seats facing forward, that may be a bit different, but that's not the way it is.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I'm a bit crazy, just not stupid
HA! Okay. How do you manage to lock it down for travel and move it while parked? Sounds like a handy device. It would be great to install one in our MH.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt53 View Post
Have a Sightseer 35j any I looking for a stair well cover had one of my grandkids fall in it was not hurt but could have it has a mid rntry
Don't know what any of the above comments has to do with the OP's question (quoted) but I'll say that none of our unsecured furniture (recliner and 2 dining room chairs) has ever shifted even a little bit. And that includes one panic stop when I had to keep a moron from being de-selected from the gene pool.

If I roll this thing or get hit by a semi I got a feeling I'll have bigger problems than being hit by flying chairs.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan

HA! Okay. How do you manage to lock it down for travel and move it while parked? Sounds like a handy device. It would be great to install one in our MH.
Not finished yet, but the chair and the couch come with brackets that fit over the base frame, then it has a hole in each to bolt to the floor. You can loosen the bolts a bit to move the bracket off the frame.

I'm planning on just one bracket for the recliner while under way, then remove at destination. Basically we just go to Florida for the winter and stay in the same place. We just know it's going to be great having a recliner we can move where we want when we want. The step cover is going to give us 4-5 more feet to play with