Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I splurged and bought a set of stainless turn-down exhaust tips for my coach. They oughta look great, if only I could get the stock exhaust tips off...
The Brave is 18 mos. old, no rust really (only 5K miles). I loosened the clamps on the straight steel exhaust tips, but the tube is "frozen" on the inner exhaust pipe. I'm looking for ideas on how to get the old plain steel tips off. Penetrating oil soak for a couple days? Do I have to resort to a blowtorch?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I splurged and bought a set of stainless turn-down exhaust tips for my coach. They oughta look great, if only I could get the stock exhaust tips off...
The Brave is 18 mos. old, no rust really (only 5K miles). I loosened the clamps on the straight steel exhaust tips, but the tube is "frozen" on the inner exhaust pipe. I'm looking for ideas on how to get the old plain steel tips off. Penetrating oil soak for a couple days? Do I have to resort to a blowtorch?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'd soak it with PBlaster, let it sit for a day or two, then start tapping on it...should come off.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yo Troth, where did you pick up your tips????

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Camping World just had them on sale. They are about 13" long and turn down 90 degrees at the ends. The ones for my gasser had to be 3" dia; I think they were $39.88 each. If you'sd like, I can get the name of the mfgr. off the package when I get home. I looked all over the net for better deals, but couldn't find them cheaper than CW. In fact, the "turn down" ends are pretty hard to find period; -everyone's got straight ones.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I was going to make the same suggestion to get them off....plenty of PB Blaster or similiar, and tap them off. I remember using a air hammer to drive the old tip off our Ford at the time.

Just to add a comment about the turndowns ... Just my opinion, but I don't care for them. I recall being at a Campground several times when someone came through with a turndown tip and due to the gravel roads, was raising clouds of dust. When the roads are gravel, particularly limestone, and dry, the turndowns raise huge clouds of dust. It was hard to believe how dusty it was, but since the turndown was blowing all that exhaust straight down to the road, it was bad. The straight tips might be something to think about if you do go to campgrounds with gravel roads, or pull a toad, since the toad will get dust covered also.

Just a thought as an option
Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Troth,
Joe-K is referring to me with the turn downs and the dust was blowing everywhere!! It looked nice when I first put it on, but it does cause problems on gravel, limestone, etc. roads. I ended up taking it off and getting a 3" expanded to 4" chrome from Summit Racing is is strait but angled on the end. Looks good.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Ok guys, thanks for the tip "tip". I think I'll try angling them back to dump more at the rear tires than on the ground. We'll see....
Old 05-04-2005, 02:47 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

One our member Moderators "edgray" did install a set of tips however he's got them facing to the rear.

I had a set of US Gear tips on my 2001 37G and since I purchased our 38G the chrome turn down tips are the furthest thing from my mind.

One day I came into a campground that was very dusty and I had my basement air running. Boy OH Boy! I raised more dust than the 7th Cavalry! The toad looked like it had been in the great dust storm of the 1920s.

Rule of thumb for me now is to secure the house AC on entry anywhere and straight tips "are a good thing".

On the other hand I came across a truck shop that does custom chrome work in Florida and if I can get hi-plate chrome straight tips, I would jump on the chance.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:42 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Wouldn't the tips facing the rear tires send additional heat onto the tires?

Just a thought.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:02 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well, I'm gonna give 'em a try, like I said. And when mounted, I'll try getting a picture or two. The tips will not aim directly at the tires, they'll stick out about 3" further than the straight tips do now.
-If you guys see a cloud of dust coming down your campground road, it's probably Wiley Coyote chasin' the Roadrunner, not me OK?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just don't leave Baylor Beach before I do!
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

You got me chucklin' now Mikey!

See you there!

(Jeesh!!! -I'm glad I didn't tell you guys about the purple neon lights I got for the exhaust tips too...
Old 05-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

When you get on that 8.1 goin' down the highway, the straight tips really help to keep it centered in the lane....

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

These exhaust extensions will kick up a lot of dust. I tried them on my full body paint Suncruiser and took them off.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote