Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

While driving down the road I get a squeak from the rubber gasket around the livingroom slide. What do you guys use quiet the squeak??

I have heard of baby powder, but am leary of the powder rubbing on the paint and eventually wearing the finish. Use a liquid protectant?

Suggestions?? Experiences??

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While driving down the road I get a squeak from the rubber gasket around the livingroom slide. What do you guys use quiet the squeak??

I have heard of baby powder, but am leary of the powder rubbing on the paint and eventually wearing the finish. Use a liquid protectant?

Suggestions?? Experiences??

Sarge

Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't have an squeaks but if I did I'd use silicon spray.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Agree with Tom. I spray the slide gaskets with silicone occassionally when I'm detailing and we have no slide squeaks. Them squeaks would keep me from ever hearing that CAT turbo whine...
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If the squeak is in fact the slide seal, I would be concerned about the slide moving around enough to make it squeak! ...I've never heard that as a source of a squeak while driving. Is the living room slide on the same side as the entry door? ...if so, I would suspect the door as the real source of the squeak.

I believe Winnebago recommends against the use of silicone or other sprays on the slide seals. Anything with petroleum products in it is bad for the rubber. Corn starch is the recommendation I've heard from more than one source, but after trying it once I won't be using it again! ...messy, and I don't believe it did much to help.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The slide is opposite the entrance door. I was also concerned about petroleum products on the rubber. I was considering the "303 Protectant" that I have used on the fiberglass parts of my previous 5ver. I am just concerned about the effects on the rubber in the long term.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

That is why I use the hold down straps. They tighten the slide against the wall, and no more squeaks. Just don't forget to undo them before extending the slide.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I used to use the strap also, that is until I ripped the trim off the slide when I forgot to unhook it before I ran the slide out once

Old 08-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just don't forget to undo them before extending the slide </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote