Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Spray on undercoating

While in Lowe's, I saw cans of spray on undercoating. Read the claims on the can, sounds good.

Has anybody tried this? Does it perform as advertised?

Trying to quiet the coach and reduce interior heat. I have dyanmat on order for other areas but am considering this for use in the wheel wells.

Thanks for any insights.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I've used undercoating with success on many vehicles, including the motorhome. Some folks will say it encourages rust by trapping moisture but I believe as long as you apply it to rust-free, clean surfaces, it will do fine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I've used the stuff for years for touchup, and moderate sized areas - always worked great, and I still have a couple of cans out in the garage. Be sure to wear old clothes when applying - and safety glasses to protect eyes and regular glasses - the stuff can be a pain to remove from unwanted items...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I wouldn't waste the money if you have any rust at all. I used it on our 01 Adventurer but apparently didn't get ALL the rust off before applying it. The following year I could peel the undercoating off in sheets. The rust was alive and well underneath. If it's rust free you may stand a chance of preventing it, but once it's there the undercoating won't stop it.

The best product I've found for killing and covering rust is POR 15. It's a bit expensive and has the consistency of water but it does the job. You can apply it over solid surfaces that have rust and it will kill and cover it. Be sure to get all the lose stuff off before applying it. Also any areas that are exposed to sunlight should be covered with a top coat to keep a shiny surface. The POR 15 will work without a top coat but it will fade to a dull black and eventually to a gray. It's usually available on E bay for less than what you pay from the manufacturer. Some dealers offer it in "kit" form with the cleaners and top coat so you don't have to buy everything individually.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Rust is not my issue (see OP). I am after noise and heat reduction and don't know if this product would help either of those issues.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I understand you'll be using it to try to quiet things down. My caution is that it will not stick if there is currently rust on the surfaces you intend to cover. Your coach is the same year as ours and unless you've stayed away from the seashore and salt covered roads there's bound to be rust in the wheel wells, on the frame, and storage cabinet exteriors. That's where the POR 15 comes in. A good coating will assure the undercoating will stay in place.

As a side note I was inspecting our coach in preperation for an upcomming trip. I noticed the front wheel wells were coated with sound deadener material from the factory.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

The post was for noise; I have used it For that purpose It works Great;; Rust is an issue for another post;;Life is good, If we stay Focused;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I wirebrushed the outside of some leaking basement storage compartments, then used the spray undercoat to seal the compartments in 2005. It finally cured the leaks nothing else had worked on. I also used it to re-coat the plastic bottom of the water service bay in 2008 when the factory coating flaked off. It is all still in place.

WD40 works very well for removing overspray. I don't know how well it works after a long period of time, but it worked very well a day later to clean up a mess on the side of my coach and one aluminum wheel that a dealer service department made and tried to hide...
Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Try This

Rust-OleumŽ Professional Undercoating is an easy to use, black rubberized coating. It provides corrosive protection from water, salt and other chemicals. It helps deaden sound and its trusted rust preventive formula provides a barrier from rust on cars, trucks, trailers and other recreational vehicles.
PHE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #10

To answer: Yes, it works fairly well for road noise.. Clean and dry well and tape off everything like any paint job.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote