Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Spray Foam Mice Critters

On my Sightseer 29R I've had a run in with mice. In looking for where they came in I discovered that under my kitchen sink there is about a 12" by 18" cutout for Hvac, sewer drain, waterlines and electrical. I really can't see it under the MoHo but it appears there is a large aluminum cover with both ends open. My question is if I sprayfoam the ends of that cover would it create a problem. This seems simpler than cutting and fitting wire screen to cover that opening under the sink area and foaming that. I also have a smaller hole for line runs under the refrig that I need to enclose as well. I'm just suprised at the size of the hole under the sink area and that it wasn't sealed at all. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would opt for the screening. The foam is very hard to manage and control the expansion. It could possibly cause some problems and what if later you had a plumbing issue. That stuff is a great adhesive as well! JMO!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I would opt for the screening. The foam is very hard to manage and control the expansion. It could possibly cause some problems and what if later you had a plumbing issue. That stuff is a great adhesive as well! JMO!
Thanks for the response. I'll still have to spray on the screen to fill around the pipes etc. Under the refrig is alot of terminals so I'm concerned about screen there. I'm thinking if I used fiberglass screen they'd still chew in if determined. I'm in the planning stage...again thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you have good access to the area you can stuff some steel wool with a little adhesive into the hole. That will keep the mice out because they don't like chewing steel wool.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

x2 on the steel wool
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think the holes you are looking at are intentional, and not the holes you should be worried about filling. Winnebago leaves holes in the floor so air can pass to the basement and keep it warm. Some even have holes that functions as the cold air return to the furnace.

If mice are in the basement, they don't belong there. I'd be looking where they are getting into the basement, not how they are getting up into the house.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
If mice are in the basement, they don't belong there. I'd be looking where they are getting into the basement, not how they are getting up into the house.
BINGO! Mice getting from the basement into the living area is not the problem. Mice getting from the ground into the motorhome is the problem. You need to find and block any access holes on the bottom of the mh, and stop their use of transition points like the power cord, tires, etc,
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I can relate to critters in the RV. I remember my snake in the RV last year in Georgia. I stll have no idea how or why he got in..but it a lot of fun getting him out!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

I was told by several pest control guys that copper wool is better than steel wool as copper hurts their teeth. Copper also doesn't rust and deteriorate as fast as steel wool. I bought a bunch of cooper wool and cooper meshing for plugging holes and then used a lot of caulking instead of foam insulation.

Not sure if this is all correct but it made sense when the pest guy explained it.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
I was told by several pest control guys that copper wool is better than steel wool as copper hurts their teeth. Copper also doesn't rust and deteriorate as fast as steel wool. I bought a bunch of cooper wool and cooper meshing for plugging holes and then used a lot of caulking instead of foam insulation.

Not sure if this is all correct but it made sense when the pest guy explained it.

-harry
True statement. Cooper works better than steel wool when it comes to rodents.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to use Hardware Cloth around the obvious openings and then address the power cord opening for one as I do have that cord down here at the house. BTW after cleaning, etc I'm not seeing anymore indications of mice.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
x2 on the steel wool
Use copper wool, availale in most hardware stores. Steel wool will rust and fall apart over time.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Use copper wool, availale in most hardware stores. Steel wool will rust and fall apart over time.
Both tiredvet and I made the same typo ...we obviously meant "copper wool."

I bought both copper mesh and copper wool to use rather than hardware cloth as they both seem easier to work with. I'm sure hardware cloth will do what is needed, however.

I bought a bunch of both of these to cover openings and stuff holes and then used a caulking where needed to completely block openings both in RVs I've owned and a vacation cabin we own:

-harry
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

You might want to re-think the steel wool idea.... I believe I read and even saw a demo of how flammable it is....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

If you make them mad enough...they might chew through the side of the coach :-)
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

In fact do a search on You Tube and you will see a demo of just how flammable the stuff really is....

I just place Fabreeze dryer sheets all over my rig including the basement, all storage areas and all inside and I simply have no unwanted guests.....
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
In fact do a search on You Tube and you will see a demo of just how flammable the stuff really is....

I just place Fabreeze dryer sheets all over my rig including the basement, all storage areas and all inside and I simply have no unwanted guests.....
But again, copper wool --according to the pest control guys I've talked to in the past-- and from the research I've done on the internet, is NOT flammable.

-harry
Old 03-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We use d-con--keep a 2-3 boxes in the various basement compartments. Traps are a good idea too.
I don't think I can find all the places they may be able to get in

Just my thoughts
greenhorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I'd be afraid one would fund and really smell things up..
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

die not "fund" .... Dang auto-spell....