Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Split windshield dilemma

We happily own a 2004 Vectra 40AD, we love the floor plan and have looked at moving up to a newer class A but to date we have not found anything that appeals to us as much as what we have.

The major dislike for me is the split windshield on our coach. Has anyone replaced the windshield with a one piece and realigned the windshield wipers on this type of coach. This would be on the lines of the later models that Winnebago brought out in this body style. If you have done it was It difficult and was it cost prohibitive?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well Sir,
I'm certainly no glass expert or, windshield expert either but, if I was a betting man ( I always loose) I'd say your chances of "converting" to a one piece windshield is between slim and none. If I recall, your windshield(s) are the same ones that fit our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD. In fact, if I recall from speaking with one of the only two RV windshield suppliers when I developed a crack in ours, she stated those two windshields will fit SEVEN years of Winnebago, in our models.

But, I've not ever seen any model like ours or yours, with a single piece windshield. Now, does that mean they don't exist? Nope. All it means is, I don't know of any. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I suspect this mod would involve a special-made windshield, one of a kind.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I would be concerned about the flex of the coach when leveling. I assume the two piece with gasket has a little more give to it.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

I think you would have better success if you had an updated front cap installed.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I think you would have better success if you had an updated front cap installed.
Might also require add'l or at least moved support and strengthening of the windshield area too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchin View Post
We happily own a 2004 Vectra 40AD, we love the floor plan and have looked at moving up to a newer class A but to date we have not found anything that appeals to us as much as what we have.

The major dislike for me is the split windshield on our coach. Has anyone replaced the windshield with a one piece and realigned the windshield wipers on this type of coach. This would be on the lines of the later models that Winnebago brought out in this body style. If you have done it was It difficult and was it cost prohibitive?
really... one of the most nerve racking things on our new excursion is the one piece..its about 20 times more to fix a crack.... we bought a new MH headed out to Utah... going through the gorge, an idiot pass's on the shoulder in the 45 mph const zone... tags my windshield.....

tell my wife... get on the phone and find a repair guy in st George...

found one and he did the repair before it cracked
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Winnebago windshields are set/glued in a steel frame, just like automobiles, rather than held in via rubber gaskets.

You would need to cut and weld to remove the center pillar and join the frame one each side with a new center section. Unless the resulting frame just happened to exactly match one of the subsequent, single piece, windshield frames you would then need to get a custom windshield made as previously mentioned--certainly not a cost-effective option.

I would ask Winnebago directly whether it would be possible--maybe you'll be lucky, though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:

The windshield frame in your coach is strengthened by the split support. The one piece windshield support reinforcing is designed differently. You would be looking at re-engineering your windshield mounting area.

We moved from a '05 Vectra 40FD to the 40U. We find it a much easier to live in coach. We are much happier with this floor plan then with the Vectra. We have much more storage in the living quarters and in the basement than we had and the furniture is much more comfortable. Well, except for the bed. We miss the Sleep Numbers.

Rick Y
Old 03-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

You would also have to monkey with the wiper blades....probably swap out with a newer mechanism that has the wipers laying horizontal and then modify to get the right length in the linkages.

Good luck with your mission,
Bill
Old 03-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #11
Phredsee

Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
We had the identical year and model coach you have and I wanted the exact same one piece windshield. Traveling coast to coast asking everyone I could about the windshield conversion to many glass vendors and Winnebago and ALL said they never heard of doing that nor would they take it on.

So we bought one with the one piece windshield! It would be interesting to hear the effort and cost of such a mod if you do it. BTW the 40AD is a nice floorplan.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well it seems the best way to resolve my dilemma is to buy a different Moho. Thanks for all the input folks
Old 03-19-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Makes sense. Let us know what you get.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well it seems the best way to resolve my dilemma is to buy a different Moho. Thanks for all the input folks

You will be much happier. In your new to you rig consider one with the residential refrigerator and stacked washer and dryer. Love ours. Start a new thread of your process for choosing. Ask advise of the models and features as you build and shorten your list of features needed and wanted.

I am one that sees no advantage in buying new. There are too many good used rigs to be had out there if you are willing to wait for the one that fits your needs. We looked, actually waited, for over a year before we started looking for what we have now. Then it took another 6 or 8 months before we finally found it. Drove 1200 miles (to the mile) to trade. This coach is not perfect but it is a good, stable home. We are very comfortable and happy with this choice. The tow package is great too.

Happy hunting,

Rick Y