Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday the retract hose on our 2003 Winnebago Adventurer apparently split. The slide will go out but will not retract. Hitting the rear slide retract button was big mistake. The red fluid gushed out onto our driveway. We had to get the slide back in using the procedure in the owner's manual which is,basically, you get two big guys to push in as hard as they can for about 10 minutes.

The rear slide hydraulic cylinder and hoses are under the bed somewhere. My question is: how do I get access to this area to replace the hose? Cutting a piece of flooring out under the bed is not real high up on my list of good ideas.

NASAGuy in Titusville,FL
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Yesterday the retract hose on our 2003 Winnebago Adventurer apparently split. The slide will go out but will not retract. Hitting the rear slide retract button was big mistake. The red fluid gushed out onto our driveway. We had to get the slide back in using the procedure in the owner's manual which is,basically, you get two big guys to push in as hard as they can for about 10 minutes.

The rear slide hydraulic cylinder and hoses are under the bed somewhere. My question is: how do I get access to this area to replace the hose? Cutting a piece of flooring out under the bed is not real high up on my list of good ideas.

NASAGuy in Titusville,FL
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

NASA Guy

There is very strong possibility that the problem is an HWH fitting rather than a hose. We had one replaced by our dealer almost a year ago, and other owners have had the same problem. HWH provided the fitting, but would not pay labor because they claimed they had no original warranty info on me. I don't know how the dealer got to it, but there were no holes cut from above. We still have traces of hydraulic fluid on the battery tray and frame members!!
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Our rear slide hoses started leaking and HWH replaced them under warranty....The slides have a 3 year warranty on them from HWH...we contacted them and they told us where to take it for repair....to get to the hoses they went in over the a/c-heat pump and fed the new hoses up thru the floor....they had to remove the mattress and bed board to get under the bed to disconnect and connect the hoses...It appeared to be quite a job ....hope this helps...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Call HWH and report this problem to them. I know that they had a huge number of bad hoses that were supplied to them from a vendor. They were (are?) replacing them as a warranty issue, so if you have any from the bad batch, you make get free replacements for all of them, even for the one's that haven't leaked. I think it's worth a phone call to find out.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #6
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i had my hoses replaced twice..the cylinder is located in the channel midpoint under the slide..as i recall you remove the mattress support to get access to bolts that hold the cylinder in..then you pull the cylinder out thru the channel outside..then you can remove the piping and pull them out thru the bottom..replace the pipes and reverse the procedure..replace any needed fluid and push the button..cylinder is self priming..jim
Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for the ideas. Jim- I am surprised that you had to have these hoses replaced twice in just a few years. Do you think this was due to plain bad luck or bad HWH hoses? Also, does the rear slide have to be extended in order to access the hydraulic cylinder and hoses?

Thanks again
NASAGuy in not so sunny Florida
Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

HWH had a bunch of bad hose fitting some time ago. I had mine replaced by them also. Yes the slide had to be open to access everything under the bed. If still under warranty let them take care of it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #9
Jim
Winnebago Owner

my slide hoses leaked after about 1 yr ..we move a lot and use the slides often..and i had them replaced in huntsville al..after about 8 months we were putting the slide out and it stopped moving..next we saw the hydraulic fluid running out from under the bed..one hose installed in al was looped too high and it was rubbing against the slide mechanism under the bed..after it wore thru it finally burst..we had to take the rv to cleveland oh to have the repairs and the bedroom carpet replaced..this required removing the slide which few dealers can handle..jim
Old 12-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Just blew a hose on the closet side bedroom slide last Sat while warming things up during extreme cold. Have a call in to HWH. Assume it is a faulty hose as discussed above. Thanks for the heads up on the warrany replacement.