Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer leaking problems

We have a 2001 Itasca Horizon 36 foot CD model with a Splendid washer/drier 2000 that is leaking in the back and I am having problems removing the unit to inspect and repair the leaking problem. I have attempted to get the item repaired at several RV repair shops but due to the wood work they are reluctant to remove the washer.

I have removed the 3 screws on both sides of the wooden styles, the upper 2 brackets securing the counter top and the front hold down metal brackets securing the washer but I am unable to remove the cabinet framing as it appears to be fastened to the floor or is it the carpeting that is putting pressure on the framing.

There is no Winnebago Dealers in Northern Nova Scotia.

Can anyone indicate what is holding the front cabinet frames.
jeanbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Page 10 of the Parts Catalog for your coach shows how the washer/dryer is secured.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Page 10 of the Parts Catalog for your coach shows how the washer/dryer is secured.
No problem with the washer it is the cabinet portion that I have a problem in removing it so the washer can be taken out. Fasteners indicated have been removed.

tks for the reply.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Give Winnebago a call (800) 537-1885....They have always helped me....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on View Post
Give Winnebago a call (800) 537-1885....They have always helped me....
Tks for the advice. I have sent an e-mail as I prefer written instructions versus talking to someone who is reading an info screen and has no idea what a washer is, but that is my next choice.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

jeanbev, this is just a guess, but worth checking while you wait on Winnie's response... I have seen them use industrial strength velvro in some unexpected places. Since they have to provide access to get that washer out, maybe this one of those places. Try a little careful prying.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsm View Post
jeanbev, this is just a guess, but worth checking while you wait on Winnie's response... I have seen them use industrial strength velvro in some unexpected places. Since they have to provide access to get that washer out, maybe this one of those places. Try a little careful prying.
Very good idea. Never thought of velcro. The cabinet frame moves in and out with the exception of the bottom portion. Will try to slip in a thin piece of metal between the carpet and wooden cabinet framing. Thanks will try this method but I do not want to damage the woodwork.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer leaking problems

My Splendid has metal clips that hook around the front feet and screw to the floor.

The other issue is that you only need to move it 6 to 8 inches out. There are screws under the back top ledge that hold the top cover on. It can be removed and the water valves accessed thru the open top. My leak was the hot valve but I replaced both since I had it apart.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Splendid washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
My Splendid has metal clips that hook around the front feet and screw to the floor.

The other issue is that you only need to move it 6 to 8 inches out. There are screws under the back top ledge that hold the top cover on. It can be removed and the water valves accessed thru the open top. My leak was the hot valve but I replaced both since I had it apart.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Gotcha. I have removed the metal clips but unless the door framing is removed it is not possible to move the washer any more than inch or so. Not aware of back top ledge or are you referring to the counter top. I will inspect top cover this evening. Thanks for the ionfo. Much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Splendid washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbev View Post
Gotcha. I have removed the metal clips but unless the door framing is removed it is not possible to move the washer any more than inch or so. Not aware of back top ledge or are you referring to the counter top. I will inspect top cover this evening. Thanks for the ionfo. Much appreciated.
Checked for back ledge with nil result, I am confused do you mean counter top.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Splendid washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanbev View Post
Very good idea. Never thought of velcro. The cabinet frame moves in and out with the exception of the bottom portion. Will try to slip in a thin piece of metal between the carpet and wooden cabinet framing. Thanks will try this method but I do not want to damage the woodwork.
Unable to force metal scraper between cabinet frame and carpet but on the inside of the frame there are angled holes on either side but no room to insert screw driver or other tool.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Have you measured to see if the washer/dryer will fit between the existing door framing? On my 2005 the washer/dryer needed to be lifted slighting to get over the lower front door frame, but them it would (just) fit through the opening.

I made a wooden box platform with some casters on it of just the right height for the washer/dryer to move out onto--it's pretty heavy and you need something to support it as it comes out. I seem to remember I put a towel over the lower door frame to protect it and help slide the washer/dryer out.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

splendid washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Have you measured to see if the washer/dryer will fit between the existing door framing? On my 2005 the washer/dryer needed to be lifted slighting to get over the lower front door frame, but them it would (just) fit through the opening.

I made a wooden box platform with some casters on it of just the right height for the washer/dryer to move out onto--it's pretty heavy and you need something to support it as it comes out. I seem to remember I put a towel over the lower door frame to protect it and help slide the washer/dryer out.
Nope will not work as the frame is larger than the washer and has to be removed. Only the bottom portion seems to be fastened to the sides.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I have worked on our Splendi washer/dryer several times. In order to get access to the inside of the unit, I had to cut the wood screws that held the door frame in place.
Easy to do if one has the proper tools. Now the frame is held in place by new blocking and screws.
Good luck. Just get thinking what you might do.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Splendid Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
I have worked on our Splendi washer/dryer several times. In order to get access to the inside of the unit, I had to cut the wood screws that held the door frame in place.
Easy to do if one has the proper tools. Now the frame is held in place by new blocking and screws.
Good luck. Just get thinking what you might do.
Regards,
JimB
Bottom frame of cabinet is fastened with 2 metal wood screws on both sides. Winnebago informed me at times several types of fasteners are utilized to manufacture the cabinet to make it flush and is installed as one piece once washer, electrical and plumbing has been completed.

So far I am half way in sawing the screws with dremel type tool . One has to be careful not to destroy the front cabinet work.

I appreciate all the comments received. What I envisioned a 1 hour task will now evolve as a week-end task to repair a leaky washer.

Oh well the joy of working in tight corners.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sorry I can't help with your question. I suggest you call Winnebago Customer Service at 800-537-1885. They have been very helpful to me on such items. Good luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

JeanBev,

At the risk of 'raining on your parade', some thoughts.

Our coach came with a Splendide Model 2000 . Since we full time we use the machine often. This model has a motor with carbon brushes. Our brushes wore out and I changed them. When you finally get the machine out of the cabinet, you will probably see carbon dust most everywhere, especially when you open the back of the machine. Check everything out while you have the machine removed.

When the rotary dial on the front panel began causing errors I fixed the problem once, errors reoccurred, so now we have a Model 2100XC. Great machine. Brushless motor, quieter, other stuff.

FWIW

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Your Spendide is attached to the motor home? 🙀 Ours just sits loose a in its cabinet with only an inch or so clearance sound it. All of our fascia was removable which allowed us to just drag it out the front to replace the control board.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak