Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a CAT C7 and Allison 6 speed Transmission. On our recent trip, we twice arrived at camp to find our toad covered with transmission fluid? The transmission never ran over it's stated normal operating temperatures (140? to 220?), highest if ever got was 214?. I also read in the manual that it is not considered overheated until 250?. In addition, I often checked the fluid level using the transmission control panel and always found the level to be "OK" for the entire 3 week, 4,011 mile trip. Anyone else have this experience? Is this something I have to live with, or is there something to be fixed here?
Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a CAT C7 and Allison 6 speed Transmission. On our recent trip, we twice arrived at camp to find our toad covered with transmission fluid? The transmission never ran over it's stated normal operating temperatures (140? to 220?), highest if ever got was 214?. I also read in the manual that it is not considered overheated until 250?. In addition, I often checked the fluid level using the transmission control panel and always found the level to be "OK" for the entire 3 week, 4,011 mile trip. Anyone else have this experience? Is this something I have to live with, or is there something to be fixed here?
Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Alan,

When I took mine in for the tranny 5K mi. main oil filter change, the tech told me that the tranny does not use or burn oil. So if you are losing oil, and more importantly seeing it all over your toad, you definitely have a leak. Get it in to an Allison shop and have it checked out.

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What's odd is the fluid level never seems to change. So the amount spewing out cannot be much. But that's good to know that it doesn't happen to you. I need to get it in to Allison and see what they have to say.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Alan,,,,ae you sure your jacks or slide lines are not leaking....they use trans fluid also...just a thought...RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

No, I'm not positive, I've thought of that as well, but it happens while driving when the slides are not being operated? Is there any way that coule make sense?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Are you sure it's trans fluid? Occassionally my C-7 pukes out a bit of diesel from the slobber tube all over my toad, always when I'm in a hurry to get unhooked and need to be somewhere.

Mine seems to occur when I'm close to a freeway and the engine doesn't warm up much before accelerating rather hard to merge into traffic.

Keep us posted in what you find.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

You've also got ATF in the power steering reservoir/system so that is another potential source. Do you see any oil/fluid in or near your engine access area? Any fluid on or near the fill cap for the power steering reservoir?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Could the rear slide be leaking and the leaked fluid be trapped by a frame member, then blowing off on the toad when you drive?

As for the power steering reservoir - does that normally vent a minor amount of fluid? The fluid level in mine never changes and it doesn't get on my toad, but it's always filthy on top. I clean it often and still it's always a mess.

Doug makes a good point - be sure it's ATF. C7s, especially if overfilled, are known to blow oil out the vent. Mine has never done that, but I see reports of it all the time.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

If you're adding fluid are you using the proper method to check your fluid level?? You may be overfilling.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The power steering system is a possibility. What is the plastic reservoir on the top right in the engine compartment? It's above both the oil and trans fill tubes. This is a filthy mess, so I suspect it is coming from that, whatever it is. Also, there is trans fluid on the back of the motorhome as well, like on the engine area vents, leading me to believe it is coming from something toward the top of the engine/radiator area. I would have thought if it was coming from the transmission, that is would be coming out more from the bottom of the coach, unless that reservoir was for the trans? Anyone now for sure what that reservoir is?

Also, as far as oil vs. trans fluid, it is definitely red trans fluid. What little blow by I get from the C7 doesn't seem to stick to the toad.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Alan - that reservoir on the top right is the power steering. That's the one that's always grimy on mine too. It must put out a mist or something. I don't really lose fluid, but it puts out enough to attract all available dirt!

There is a transmission fluid cooler somewhere behind (forward of)the main radiator. Maybe that's where your leak is. Seems like you would see some evidence of it on the radiator fins though...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Are you absolutely positive it is tranny fluid? Did you crawl under and search for the point most forward that is 'oiled'? Like ChippySgt says I would suspect the slobber tube.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Alan, I had the same exact problem on my new 2006 Journey with only 3500 miles on it. I would get a fine mist of oil all over my toad after towing. The oil was coming from the power steering reservior cap vent. At the same time I started to get a moaning noise from the power steering up front while driving. After taking it to Freightliner with no answers I called the factory representative. Please read this post.Sammie
"Winnebago Coach Forum Member"

Posted May 28, 2007 11:01 PM Hide Post
Freightliner for some reason has installed an inline power steering fluid filter about 18 inches below the reservoir on 2006 and some 2007 chassis. It's about the size of a small beer can. This filter has a tendency to collapse internally causing fluid flow restriction and premature pump failure. I had noisey power steering in the beginning but after talking to a Freightliner factory Representative I was able to get the filter removed and after returning from a 1000 mile trip all seems fine. If you have noisey power steering get it checked out now. It just might save you from getting towed while your on a nice vacation. This is a serious enough problem that I cannot imagine that Freightliner does not issue a recall. My fix was covered by warrenty but I had to be persistant.

2006 Journey 36ft, Cat C7
2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
Minature German Schnauzer

" A job begun, is half done"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sammie, thanks! That's the smoking gun I'm looking for. I know Pusherman had the same power steering filter issue and he has a twin coach to mine purchased at about the same time, his whole power steering went out. Sounds like I need to get that filter removed and the power steering system checked out. This actually makes a lot more sense now as well, got under the coach last night and everything from the tranny to the breather hose is completely dry, so it has to be coming from the power steering reservoir. Tahnks all for your help, I'll follow up after getting if fixed.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Regardless of the cause the danger of an engine fire from this is to great to continue driveing the coach until the leak is repaired. This is not something to delay getting taken care of. I lost one coach due to and engin bay fire that could could not really track down further then a tight wheel bearing or dragging brakes. It was made much worse by a moderately dirty engine bay from a recent oil cooler line that had leaked.

Get it fixed and make sure all residual oil is properly cleaned up.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Alan,

Last year I had the same problem and thought it was something to do with the engine. We stopped at a Winni dealer and they found that there was a leak in the line for the rear slide. In our case it was a set of seals in the hydraulic line of the slide.

Talked with HWH and they told me to check the fluid of the jacks/slide tank and add trans fluid and have it checked when we reached our destination. I found that little was leaking but it made a big impression on the tow car. When we got to the Grand National rally we had it fixed by Winnebago.

Dean Nelson
2004 Meridian 36G
Dean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Update, took coach into Allison for it first service and checkout. They found nothing wrong with the transmission and no evidence of leaks, mists, or smoking coming from the transmission or the transmission fill tube. So, now it's between the power steering and a leaky slide, but all evidence points to the power steering. Will be taking it to Freightliner soon and will follow up with the final solution...
Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #19

Wow! This is so interesting!

We had it happen too. We stopped at a rest stop and the toad was covered with a fine mist of reddish fluid.

When we opened the rear grilled compartment access in the back, we noticed that the hose from the power-steering reservoir had some drippings on it. We took a screw driver and tightened the clamp to the hose where it connects to the reservoir and kept our fingers crossed.

At the next rest stop, we didn't see any spray on the toad and haven't since. We added that to our list of things to have looked at but I'm glad we found this thread because now we can bring up this power steering filter issue with Frieghtliner.

Please keep us posted on what you come up with, Alan!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I also had the same issues/symptoms months ago and like Amanda tightened the hose clamp and all has been well since (about 9 months).

BTW--Amanda, not bad for a "newbie". Keep up the good work.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote